PDA

View Full Version : another heads up question

mustardo
03-17-2005, 05:09 PM
easy,

my heads up results seem to have been ok against most standard players but I have lost recently a few heads up against some real fish who'll call almost anything, even all in with hands like 3-2, then move all in if they hit anything on flop. Seem to have blinded myself out against these players waiting for real hand to break them.

Am I right in thinking the best play against these players is clearly pushing strong hands preflop knowing you are gonna get called? If so what range of hands should you start pushing? Any A, K or pair? Or wait for a real strong hand?

Not having this problem on Party obviously but more on sites with more chips and lower blinds where you do have time to play a bit, even heads up?

Thanks for the help

Mussy

Bigwig
03-17-2005, 05:15 PM
If they'll call almost anything, you want to push with a huge range of hands. The fact is that when the blinds get large, good players have an extremely small edge in heads up play. Maybe as little as 11:9 with equal chip stacks.

Against opponents like this, who will call with anything, I'd push any Ax, Kx, QJ-Q5 JT-J9, T9, any pair. Or, if I was 100% of a call, I'd simply wait for one or two orbits to get a slightly better hand. Bypass Q7 to get K8, for example.

Phil Van Sexton
03-17-2005, 05:22 PM
Raise preflop with a lot of hands, then bet 90% of the time when they check to you. These players like to see the flop, but give up quickly when it misses them. It will miss them most of the time. Take advantage of this.

mustardo
03-17-2005, 05:31 PM
What size raises preflop would you be making?

Is a min raise acceptable here or 3x bb?

Then on flop (if you've missed it as well)? min raise again, 1/2 pot or more?

Ta

Phil Van Sexton
03-17-2005, 05:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What size raises preflop would you be making?

Is a min raise acceptable here or 3x bb?

Then on flop (if you've missed it as well)? min raise again, 1/2 pot or more?

Ta

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you asking me?

If so, my answer assumed the blinds were small compared to your stacks.

In this case, I'd bet 3xBB and then bet 1/2 the pot (which is actually the same amount you bet preflop). If the flop misses you too, you should still bet 75% of the time. If it hits you, I'd bet closer to 100%, unless I flop a monster.

Let's say the blinds are 50/100. You bet 300, he calls (as usual). He checks the flop, and you bet 300.

Basically, you've bet 550 total (50 was your SB) to win 350. This might seem bad, but the flop will actually hit you sometimes and he will likely fold pre-flop other times.

Also, you aren't doing this with every hand, but as many hands as you can get away with.

If he let's you check from the BB, make sure to use the same concept and bet a lot of the flop.

All of this is VERY player dependent. I'm just going by the image I have in my head of the player you describe. Your mileage may vary.