PDA

View Full Version : Bellagio $4/$8: bold use of a pocket pair or overplayed junk?

SpaceAce
03-17-2005, 04:39 PM
Tuesday night at the Bellagio. The game has been pretty good but it's a little tighter than usual. A couple of the people at the table actually have a clue but it is not a "tough" table by any means.

The lineup:
The villain in this hand is an Asian gentleman who is a real poker basket case. His starting hand requirements are: none. I take that back; I think he requires two cards. He raises seemingly random cards: 57o, J3s, 22, etc. He also likes to bluff (or maybe he's value-betting) things like bottom pair if anyone shows the slightest sign of weakness. He'll occasionally get way out of line post-flop, going multiple bets with air. When he really believes his hand is strong, it's pretty obvious to me.

The villain's girlfriend or wife: She's a terrible player but she is capable of folding occasionally.

The button in this hand is a college kid who is definitely not a fool. He's tight and fairly aggressive. He has a healthy respect for my play.

The big blind: Me.

Pre-flop: the action folds to the villain's wife who limps. The villain raises (surprise), the cutoff (a friend of mine and another 2+2er) folds. The button makes it three bets and I am certain he is just trying to isolate the villain. I don't get a sense of real strength from the button and I think he is re-raising here with KQs/o, Aces down to A8 or so and pretty much any pair. The small blind folds and I peek down and see two eights. I make it four bets, believeing there is a very good chance the villain's wife will fold. In addition to the fact that I am likely to be well ahead of the villain's random junk, I believe I can move the button off a hand better than my eights unless the board is really friendly to his hand. I also believe I will have no trouble getting away from my eights if the button has me beat. If I end up heads-up with the villain, there will be a showdown. The villain's wife thinks for a while then calls three more bets (darn). The villain calls and the button, obviously unhappy about my throwing a monkey wrench into his plans (he muttered something like "that's not good" when I four-bet), calls.

The flop: 236 (approximately, definitely a deuce and a six with no cards above my eights) with two diamonds.

I lead out, the villain's wife folds, the villain calls and the button calls. No one seems too excited by the flop.

The turn: Qs

I bet, the villain calls and the button folds. I still like my hand but I have the sense that the villain does have a piece of this board. I'm not sure what he's got but a weak Queen is not out of the question.

The river: I don't remember but it was not an Ace or a diamond. It may have been an offsuit 9 or 7.

The villain will bet somewhere in the neighborhood of 100% of the time if I check here so I do so. The villain bets and I call.

So, who folds these bad boys and who puts in the fourth bet trying to knock out the wife and take control of the hand? Does anyone just call pre-flop? Comments welcome on all streets although I think post-flop (with the possible exception of the river) pretty much played itself after I made it four bets pre-flop.

SpaceAce

Stefan Prodan
03-17-2005, 04:43 PM
Against people that are so loose, it seems like a good line. You took control of the hand back from the button, and then I think from there, once button folded you were in the clear. I figure button probably had a pocket pair of some sort, since he didn't call on the turn as he probably would have with overcards. Either way I think it's probably how I would have played it, for better or worse.

PokerBob
03-17-2005, 04:47 PM
I think the 4-bet is risky, as IMO retards will call 700 raises if they have put one bet in the pot. Since she folded the flop, it was correct. /images/graemlins/grin.gif The rest looks good to me.

Fat Nicky
03-17-2005, 04:49 PM
I like capping better than just calling.

Jeffage
03-17-2005, 06:31 PM
Cap is 5 bets in Las Vegas.

Jeff

sfer
03-17-2005, 09:03 PM
I like the preflop 4-bet and this is a preflop play I use a fair amount against thinking players. The button is much more willing to give up on what he believes are dominated overcards on an unfavorable flop and folding his 6 outer is a huge Sklansky bucks bonanza for you. I posted a somewhat similar preflop spot in HUSH yesterday from a 5 handed game with GoT opening. In that hand, after GoT called, I could confidently put him on a pair or AK.

EDIT: And, for those curious, the river is a clear check/call. Ni han.

SpaceAce
03-18-2005, 03:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
(Stefan Prodan)
Against people that are so loose, it seems like a good line. You took control of the hand back from the button, and then I think from there, once button folded you were in the clear. I figure button probably had a pocket pair of some sort, since he didn't call on the turn as he probably would have with overcards. Either way I think it's probably how I would have played it, for better or worse.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is pretty much how I was reasoning at the time, too. For anyone wondering, the button claimed after the hand to have had 55.

[ QUOTE ]
(PokerBob)
I think the 4-bet is risky, as IMO retards will call 700 raises if they have put one bet in the pot. Since she folded the flop, it was correct. The rest looks good to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought there was a good chance I could fold the wife.

[ QUOTE ]
(Jeffage)
Cap is 5 bets in Las Vegas.

[/ QUOTE ]

The cap is actually four bets in many places but it is five at the Bellagio where this hand took place.

SpaceAce

SpaceAce
03-18-2005, 03:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I like the preflop 4-bet and this is a preflop play I use a fair amount against thinking players. The button is much more willing to give up on what he believes are dominated overcards on an unfavorable flop and folding his 6 outer is a huge Sklansky bucks bonanza for you. I posted a somewhat similar preflop spot in HUSH yesterday from a 5 handed game with GoT opening. In that hand, after GoT called, I could confidently put him on a pair or AK.

EDIT: And, for those curious, the river is a clear check/call. Ni han.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, sfer. I've also used this play on numerous occasions. I posted this one because it was fairly fresh in my mind. I like the term Sklansky Bucks Bonanza, very nice /images/graemlins/smile.gif I fully believed I was greatly increasing my chances of winning this pot by flexing muscle at the thinking player on the button. Someone above mentioned the danger of fishy players calling any number of bets I face them with. That is certainly a danger but if I am going to play in this spot, I am definitely coming in with a reraise.

SpaceAce