PDA

View Full Version : Official "Gee, Washington is better than I thought" thread

nolanfan34
03-17-2005, 04:31 PM
As much as I hate to admit it, this is a pretty good team. Athletic, they defend pretty well, and have a couple of legit stars in Nate Robinson and Brandon Roy.

I think the storyline of the day will be that people will be surprised how good they are, since the East coast likely didn't see them much during the season.

<font color="white"> And if you think I'm posting this so early as a jinx, well, you're partially right. </font>

jakethebake
03-17-2005, 04:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
As much as I hate to admit it, this is a pretty good team. Athletic, they defend pretty well, and have a couple of legit stars in Nate Robinson and Brandon Roy.

I think the storyline of the day will be that people will be surprised how good they are, since the East coast likely didn't see them much during the season.

<font color="white"> And if you think I'm posting this so early as a jinx, well, you're partially right. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree. But it's not much of a surprise imo.

radek2166
03-17-2005, 04:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree. But it's not much of a surprise imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

B Dids
03-17-2005, 05:30 PM
I'm on the bandwagon. I think for the first time in my life I actually planned to be home to watch a Husky basketball game when they played AZ in the Pac-10 finals.

Man, Nate can jump.

BUT THAT IS STILL NO EXCUSE FOR HIM TAKING THAT BALL AWAY FROM MIKE BUSH IN THE APPLE CUP.

Mike Bush will forever have a place on my HATE list for letting that midget pick that ball off, as will Price for calling that play in the first place.

nolanfan34
03-17-2005, 05:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Mike Bush will forever have a place on my HATE list for letting that midget pick that ball off, as will Price for calling that play in the first place.

[/ QUOTE ]

What, you trying to make me start drinking in the middle of the day or something? Let me at least make it to 5:00 first before you start bringing up stuff like that! /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

radek2166
03-17-2005, 09:09 PM
Huskies don't look like a No. 1 in win (http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab;_ylc=X3oDMTBpbjllZDY5BF9TAzI1NjY0ODI1BHNlYwN 0bg--)

BOISE, Idaho (AP) -- With a flurry of steals, layups and 3-pointers, the Washington Huskies seemed well on their way to quieting critics who questioned their pick as a No. 1 seed.

Following it up with an inconsistent finish is certain to keep the conversation going.

After charging out to a 19-point lead in the first nine minutes, Washington played well enough the rest of the way to open the NCAA tournament with a harder-than-expected 88-77 victory over Montana on Thursday.

``We came out with a lot of intensity and rotated guys in there who kept up the intensity up, but then we kind of got cool down the stretch,'' Washington's Brandon Roy said. ``Being a No. 1 team is hard because you're thinking about it the whole game. We're still new to this system and we're just going to take this win and get better from it.''

Roy had 17 points, Tre Simmons added 15, and Washington (28-5) shot 55 percent to win an NCAA tournament game for the first time since reaching the round of 16 in 1998. But with Pacific -- a 79-71 winner over Pittsburgh -- up next in the second round Saturday, the Huskies will need to find more consistency to move onto Albuquerque next weekend.

``Usually, we try to take advantage early and I think that's what we did,'' Simmons said. ``Then we kind of played it cool after that, kind of turned the switch on and off.''

Montana (18-13) won the Big Sky Conference to get into the NCAA tournament, but beating the Pac-10 champion was probably a little too much to ask. Led by Kamarr Davis' 24 points, the Grizzlies at least gave it a try, rallying from a dismal start before fading against the bigger, more athletic Huskies.

``It was a tough situation. I've been in games where we're supposed to win and let's face it, Washington was supposed to beat us,'' Montana coach Larry Krystkowiak said. ``Good, bad or indifferent, we fought to the end. Nobody was interested in moral victories. I legitimately thought, until I looked up with three minutes to go, that we had a chance to win.''

Montana wasn't supposed to have any chance -- no 16th seed has ever won a tournament game -- and it didn't help that the Huskies had extra incentive.

Though it won the Pac-10 tournament, Washington finished eighth in the final AP poll, the lowest for a No. 1 seed since the field expanded to 64 in 1985. Plenty of criticism followed and the Huskies took umbrage with those who said the only reason they got the top spot in the Albuquerque Regional was because Kentucky and Arizona slipped in their final games.

Washington said it had something to prove and played that way early, pouring it on against the overmatched Grizzlies.

The Huskies scored the game's first 13 points and kept coming at Montana in waves, rotating players off the bench like it was a hockey game, pressuring the Grizzlies into mistakes and pushing the pace at every turn.

Montana didn't score until Davis hit a turnaround jumper 4:10 in and was down 27-8 before the game was nine minutes old.

``At the start I thought our defensive intensity was outstanding, which gave us good looks at the basket,'' said Huskies coach Lorenzo Romar, who agreed to a new eight-year contract before the game.

But after withstanding Washington's initial surge, the feisty Grizzlies fought back.

Forcing Washington into bad shots and staying patient offensively, Montana cut the lead to 32-23 with a 15-5 run. Davis capped the rally with a two-handed dunk that brought the large contingent of Grizzlies fans to their feet.

Washington got the lead back to 17 points at halftime after Simmons hit a 3-pointer from the corner. But Montana wouldn't quit.

Led by Davis' physical play inside, the Grizzlies trimmed the Huskies' lead to 52-43 with 13 1/2 minutes left. Washington followed with a 9-0 run, only to see Montana cut the lead to 67-57 with eight minutes left, leading to a chant of ``Overrated! Overrated!'' from the Grizzlies' side.

Montana never got closer, but it didn't matter -- the Grizzlies had left doubts about Washington's choice as a top seed.

``That's a loaded question. The committee knows a heck of a lot more about us and maybe we took some of the shine off,'' Krystkowiak said. ``But they are a No. 1 seed, they have a great team and I expect they'll go far in the tournament.''

nolanfan34
03-18-2005, 12:28 AM
Read the white text in my original post, maybe this is working. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

ThaSaltCracka
03-18-2005, 12:29 AM
dude, don't be so mean, they Dawgs deserve this.

radek2166
03-18-2005, 12:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Read the white text in my original post, maybe this is working. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Read it allready. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

MEbenhoe
03-18-2005, 12:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

HAHAHA, I knew something was fishy when I first saw you post this.

nolanfan34
03-18-2005, 12:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
dude, don't be so mean, they Dawgs deserve this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Deserve what? Gimme a break. The ONE TIME in the past 30 years that they suck at football, and they just happen to get good at basketball? Bastards. I hate them.

I really do too. Anyone who knows what a good college rivalry is like will understand. I dislike a lot of sports teams, but I actually get angry when talking to UW fans sometimes. Like, a physically angry feeling, which is very unusual for someone like me, who is pretty easy-going.

ThaSaltCracka
03-18-2005, 12:51 AM
let me clarify.

They do not deserve this because their football team sucked. In fact, I hate Huskies football, so I am glad they sucked. Their basketball team deserves this because of how well the program has become. Also, they are a fun team to watch.

Don't get it twisted, I am not a UW fan, I merely like their b-ball team. I also hope every year for the Cougars to beat the Dawgs in the Apple Cup.

plaster8
03-18-2005, 03:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Deserve what? Gimme a break. The ONE TIME in the past 30 years that they suck at football, and they just happen to get good at basketball? Bastards. I hate them.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should know better. They may not have had many losing seasons, but they have sucked several times in the past 10 years.

2004: 1-10
2003: 6-6
2002: 7-6
1999: 7-5
1998: 6-6

I expected more from a fellow Coug. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

And yes, before anyone else says it, I am well aware of the fact that the Cougs did not beat the Huskies in any of the aforementioned years, except 2004.

Dead
03-18-2005, 03:27 AM
I have them going down in the sweet 16.

cold_cash
03-18-2005, 04:04 AM
As a Beavers fan I feel obligated to reply to this thread with the following: Huck the Fuskies.

Carry on.

B Dids
03-18-2005, 12:09 PM
This article is retarded.

Illinois only won by like 12 and nobody is pitching a fit.

Expecting a #1 seed to win by 30 is silly given how talent is distributed in the NCAA.

nolanfan34
03-18-2005, 12:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And yes, before anyone else says it, I am well aware of the fact that the Cougs did not beat the Huskies in any of the aforementioned years, except 2004.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I'm saying. I know they've only been .500 in football these past few years, but I want a season where they suck at football, lose the Apple Cup, and suck in everything else so they have nothing to brag about, and the KJR listening audience all ends up spontaniously combusting after all of the complaining about the Dawgs. That would be sweet.

SomethingClever
03-18-2005, 01:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I really do too. Anyone who knows what a good college rivalry is like will understand. I dislike a lot of sports teams, but I actually get angry when talking to UW fans sometimes. Like, a physically angry feeling, which is very unusual for someone like me, who is pretty easy-going.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm with you. Although I feel that way about UW, WSU and OSU.

Go Ducks!

kerssens
03-18-2005, 01:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I'm saying. I know they've only been .500 in football these past few years, but I want a season where they suck at football, lose the Apple Cup, and suck in everything else so they have nothing to brag about, and the KJR listening audience all ends up spontaniously combusting after all of the complaining about the Dawgs. That would be sweet.

[/ QUOTE ]

So in other words, a typical WSU season in just about every year I've been alive.

nolanfan34
03-18-2005, 01:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So in other words, a typical WSU season in just about every year I've been alive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not the same at all. We're not annoyingly smug like Husky fans are.

Besides, people who went to Seattle U don't get to talk smack in this thread.

groo
03-18-2005, 01:41 PM
Those of us that have been watching Washington all year, know they are good. Those of us that are intelligent hate them, and their bicep kissing pipsqueek guard, Nate "chopped off at the knees" Robinson. But they are, unfortunatley, good.

kerssens
03-18-2005, 01:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not the same at all. We're not annoyingly smug like Husky fans are.

Besides, people who went to Seattle U don't get to talk smack in this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's true. My dad went to WSU so I've been bashing the Cougars my whole life, its tough to give it up but I'm trying...btw, we went to two Final Fours in the 50's, Elgin Baylor!!

nolanfan34
03-18-2005, 01:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My dad went to WSU so I've been bashing the Cougars my whole life, its tough to give it up but I'm trying...

[/ QUOTE ]

You're a terrible, terrible son. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

B Dids
03-18-2005, 02:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Those of us that have been watching Washington all year, know they are good. Those of us that are intelligent hate them, and their bicep kissing pipsqueek guard, Nate "chopped off at the knees" Robinson. But they are, unfortunatley, good.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a Cougar fan with all my heart, but this is a fun team and I like rooting for them. Nate is awesome. (plz note, I live in Seattle and actually went to the UW, but I grew up in Pullman and my family is very tied to WSU).

Frankly- I see more idiot Cougs bashing Huskies than I do vice versa.

ripdog
03-18-2005, 03:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
let me clarify.

They do not deserve this because their football team sucked. In fact, I hate Huskies football, so I am glad they sucked. Their basketball team deserves this because of how well the program has become. Also, they are a fun team to watch.

Don't get it twisted, I am not a UW fan, I merely like their b-ball team. I also hope every year for the Cougars to beat the Dawgs in the Apple Cup.

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF? I don't get it. I have hated the Cougs for as long as I can remember. Granted, Husky football has sucked ever since Don James took the cowards way out and quit on his team after Billy Joe screwed the pooch. I don't get upset or anything when the Huskies come in last place, but I do get a warm, fuzzy feeling when the Cougs lose.

I have to say that if you can root for the Huskies and Cougs at the same time, perhaps you should seek out a psychiatric evaluation. They may be able to prescribe something for your obviously split personality.

wayabvpar
03-18-2005, 03:30 PM
I root for the Huskies and the Cougars. I went to Western, so only Central gets my full hatred. In the Apple Cup, I generally root for whichever team has the most to lose.

Next year should be interesting- Washington will be much younger, and all the Coug kids will have a year of experience. I figure the Cougs for 3rd or 4th in the Pac-10 next year with a decent shot at a tourney berth.

That being said- Go Dawgs!

kerssens
03-19-2005, 06:19 PM
bump...sorry Nolan

RcrdBoy
03-19-2005, 06:50 PM
Yeah, I wonder if the people that saw the game vs. Pacific have a better understanding of why they are good.

Lousiville or GT should be a great game and a lot of fun to watch.

ThaSaltCracka
03-19-2005, 07:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have to say that if you can root for the Huskies and Cougs at the same time, perhaps you should seek out a psychiatric evaluation. They may be able to prescribe something for your obviously split personality.

[/ QUOTE ] I didn't go to either school, so I do not have any loyalties at all.

kerssens
03-19-2005, 07:12 PM
Are you in the 425?

ThaSaltCracka
03-19-2005, 07:15 PM
yup, for one more day.

kerssens
03-19-2005, 07:17 PM
Have you hit the Seed yet?

ThaSaltCracka
03-19-2005, 07:23 PM
yeah yesterday.

going to a Party tonight which will have both beer and strippers, should be interesting.

kerssens
03-19-2005, 07:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
which will have both beer and strippers, should be interesting.

[/ QUOTE ]

explain