PDA

View Full Version : Doesn't this kill a shitload of braincells?

radek2166
03-17-2005, 04:12 PM
Inhalant Abuse Increasing Among U.S. Teens

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Over a million American teenagers intentionally inhale the vapors of common household products like hairspray, shoe polish and glue each year and the number is rising, government officials said on Thursday.

Kicking off a week of activities designed to alert parents and children to the dangers posed by inhalants, White House drug czar John Walters said recent trends were unacceptable.

"As drug use overall has gone down in this country, we have had an increase in inhalant use," Walters said.

Inhalants commonly sniffed, or "huffed," by children as young as eight include gasoline and lighter fluid, spray paints, cleaning fluids, paint thinners and other solvents, degreasers, correction fluids, hair sprays and odorizers.

"These substances are everywhere in our lives. We have almost 23 million people who have abused inhalants in their lifetimes. The problem is pervasive," said Westley Clark, director of the center for substance abuse at the Department of Health and Human Services (news - web sites).

Jessie, a 17-year-old from Indianapolis, said she became hooked by sniffing the helium used to fill balloons for weddings and parties.

"They told me, stay away from cocaine, stay away from heroin. They never said stay away from inhalants," she said at a news conference with Walters.

Jeanette Smith, whose 17-year-old son, Jimmy, died last year after inhaling butane, said, "He didn't know it could kill him and we didn't know he was huffing."

More than 2 million people said they huffed in 2003, of whom 1.1 million were aged 12 to 17, said Harvey Weiss, executive director of the National Inhalant Prevention Society, citing results from the 2002 and 2003 national survey on drug use and health.

In 2002, over a million people huffed for the first time, of whom 833,000 were aged 12 to 17.

The health effects can include brain and neural damage, convulsions, deafness, impaired vision, depressed motor skills and death. The social effects, surveys show, include behavioral problems, other drug use and delinquent behavior.

Stephen Pasierb, president of the Partnership for a Drug-Free America, said survey data showed awareness of the dangers of inhalant use had fallen significantly among young people and that parents were failing to educate their children about the dangers.

tbach24
03-17-2005, 04:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Doesn't this kill a shitload of braincells?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.
Huffing = retarded

radek2166
03-17-2005, 04:20 PM
I should take this to the probability fourm. See how many braincells on has. How many are killed by huffing. How many times one can huff before killing to many brain cells to be functional. ETC.

jakethebake
03-17-2005, 04:27 PM
It hasn't affected me one bit.

http://snapsblog.com/i/580/938b4538b9a3a3f7104e54121aa469b9.jpg

radek2166
03-17-2005, 04:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It hasn't affected me one bit.

http://snapsblog.com/i/580/938b4538b9a3a3f7104e54121aa469b9.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats one scarry looking dog. I'd hate to see it do some XTC and hump something.

tek
03-18-2005, 11:35 PM
As Cliff Claven from the ol' Cheers tv show eloquently proved, doing things like that or drinking can actually RAISE your IQ. It works on the same principle as a lion taking out the weak and sick gazelles. The inhalants or booze take out the weak brain cells leaving you smarter. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

wacki
03-19-2005, 12:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Jessie, a 17-year-old from Indianapolis, said she became hooked by sniffing the helium used to fill balloons for weddings and parties.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, helium is completely inert. How the hell do you get addicted to a inert gas?

Dead
03-19-2005, 12:35 AM
I never sniffed the helium. At birthday parties, I would sometimes open the balloon up and suck the helium in so I could talk like Alvin and the Chipmunks.

That's not dangerous, is it?

tbach24
03-19-2005, 12:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, helium is completely inert. How the hell do you get addicted to a inert gas?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's the same sort of "addiction" that you get to weed.

wacki
03-19-2005, 12:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I never sniffed the helium. At birthday parties, I would sometimes open the balloon up and suck the helium in so I could talk like Alvin and the Chipmunks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not as long as you remember to keep breathing oxygen. Hell I do it all the time while scuba diving. It's called Heliox.

Do you understand the concept of inert?

wacki
03-19-2005, 12:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think it's the same sort of "addiction" that you get to weed.

[/ QUOTE ]

That may or may not be true. Believe it or not weed might be addictive, but since it is hydrophobic it gets stored in fat. Your brain is basically one big ball of fat. So basically after you smoke weed, you are on a weed patch for a month. I'm not 100% certain of that, but I was told that from a man at a center for behavioral health clinic. Of course, those guys are mostly fucks that "rehabilitate" people for a mere ten grand. I guess I need to double check his statements.

Still, I've known girls that can't have sex unless stoned. That is probably completely psychological though. Those girls were messed up in the head. They were hot, but psycho.

Sponger15SB
03-19-2005, 12:59 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v641/Sponger15aa/sohigh1.jpg

Brain
03-19-2005, 01:09 AM
I thought this was going to be a post about reading OOT.

Dead
03-19-2005, 01:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not as long as you remember to keep breathing oxygen. Hell I do it all the time while scuba diving. It's called Heliox.

Do you understand the concept of inert?

[/ QUOTE ]

I slept through high school chemistry.

wacki
03-19-2005, 01:29 AM
Inert means unreactive. You can't get high off of anything that is inert. The journalist loses all credibility by typing that.

wacki
03-19-2005, 01:46 AM
Just researched marijuana addiction. Looks like the marijuana patch thing is true.

Don't have pass for you, and I can't reproduce the info, but here is an interesting link.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&li st_uids=9221496

willie
03-19-2005, 02:41 AM
sure it does.

More than 2 million people said they huffed in 2003, of whom 1.1 million were aged 12 to 17, said Harvey Weiss, executive director of the National Inhalant Prevention Society, citing results from the 2002 and 2003 national survey on drug use and health.

2 million people.......pretty insignificant #.

Fins
03-19-2005, 03:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Jessie, a 17-year-old from Indianapolis...
"They told me, stay away from cocaine, stay away from heroin. They never said stay away from inhalants,"

[/ QUOTE ]
Jessie, don't eat that, Jessie stop, Jessie what have you got in your mouth, oh, Jessie, please stop eating the yellow snow...

Sometimes the brain cells were never alive to begin with...

3rdEye
03-19-2005, 04:02 AM
Huffing is the most idiotic form of drug use that I can think of. I went to high school with a kid that was addicted to huffing gold spray paint. I'm pretty certain he literally huffed himself retarded.

NotInchoateHand1
03-19-2005, 04:06 AM
No, its tasty.

tek
03-19-2005, 10:06 AM
KQRS FM Morning Show in Minneapolis used to do their show on St. Patty's day every year totally on Helium. One of the guys had to go to the hospital one year and that was it.

Ah, the good times spoiled by one pussy...

beerbandit
03-19-2005, 10:16 AM
"what you think this is some kind of crayon, no take that cap off and sniff it -- youll be high"

SenecaJim
03-19-2005, 11:59 AM
I agree. Now, if you met someone who was a huffer and retarded , what is the mathematical probablility that he was retarded before huffuing vs. huffing made him retarded?
Equations please?

peachy
03-19-2005, 01:27 PM
bah...it was freon when i was in HS

mason55
03-19-2005, 02:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Inert means unreactive. You can't get high off of anything that is inert. The journalist loses all credibility by typing that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the idea is oxygen deprevation. You inhale lots of helium and get light headed from a lack of oxygen. Just like in elementary school when you'd have other kids push on your chest till you passed out.

And before you say who the [censored] would think they were high from a lack of oxygen, remember, these kids are huffing helium. They're not exactly Rhodes scholar candidates.