PDA

View Full Version : Tough hand

AtticusFinch
03-17-2005, 04:08 PM
2800 chips, blinds 100, on BB with KT. 2 limpers, I check.

Flop comes down J97 rainbow, giving me a double gutshot. I come out betting 200, and get minraised to 400. 3rd guy folds in front, I call.

Turn is a king. Now I have top pair along with my double gut shot. The pot is 1150 at this point. I bet 1000, villain calls.

River is a blank. I check and villain checks behind. He shows down J9 and takes the pot.

Please comment on my line.

EDIT: This was a Full Tilt tourney. On the flop I put him on a pair of jacks, or possibly 2-pair. In the first case, I'm way ahead on the turn. Against 2-pair I have a ton of outs.

schwza
03-17-2005, 04:32 PM
what position is the villain in? did he cover you?

i like the flop bet and call. i'm less sure about the turn. after betting 1k, you'll have put in a little over 1/2 you chips. with 8 good outs, up to 5 more, and the possibility you're ahead, you'd have to call a push.

i prefer a check on the turn. if he bets, push. you should have a ton of outs if called. if he checks behind, that's fine, you get a freebie. then you get to the river wtih either a lot of chips (making a straight more valuable, but meaning you could get away from TPBK) or no chips, which means you can't get pushed off of TPBK. you'd also like to have no chips in front of you if the river is a T.

if the turn goes check-check and the river bricks, throw out a 1/3 pot bet and try to squeeze some value out of a QJ type hand.

AtticusFinch
03-17-2005, 04:45 PM
Villain was in MP2 or 3. He had me covered.

03-17-2005, 05:05 PM
I like this line schwza.

Gavin

Sam T.
03-17-2005, 05:10 PM
I also don't like the turn bet, for the reasons already stated. I probably would have pushed, but I like the check-raise all-in even more.

I know you asked about your line, but good lord I hate villain's play here. Top two is a lovely hand, but as this hand shows, it is hardly a monster especially against an unraised blind. He must raise the flop to find out whether he's against a made hand, a draw, or what? A min-raise doesn't tell him any of that. (In your shoes, the min-raise would either say, "Idiot" or "Made straight (T8s?) trying to extract some more value before you shut it down.")

Sam

Potowame
03-17-2005, 05:31 PM
I dont see any way to play this hand better , very nice schwza.

AtticusFinch
03-17-2005, 05:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
what position is the villain in? did he cover you?

i like the flop bet and call. i'm less sure about the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree my turn bet is poor.

[ QUOTE ]

i prefer a check on the turn. if he bets, push. you should have a ton of outs if called.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does this apply to any size bet on his part? What if he pushes?

I like the rest of your line.

AtticusFinch
03-17-2005, 05:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I know you asked about your line, but good lord I hate villain's play here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think we can all agree that villain's play is absolutely atrocious here.