PDA

View Full Version : Heads-Up

Spladle Master
03-17-2005, 03:51 PM
This one messed with me.

Both you and your opponent have 100xBB to play with. This is your very first hand with this opponent. You are in the small blind with A/images/graemlins/heart.gifQ/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. You opt to limp. The BB makes it 12 BBs to go.

What do you do?

Say you opt to re-raise to 36xBB. What do you do if the BB then re-raises all-in?

In case you're curious, I called.

Flame away.

PoBoy321
03-17-2005, 03:53 PM
Ummmm, raise pre-flop?

EDIT: Heads up, reads become extremely important. So what's yours?

Yeknom58
03-17-2005, 04:00 PM
I woudn't have limped...if I did I might re-raise some of the time but with no read this might be a really bad idea...If he pushed I wouldn't call unless he accidentally showed me KQ. The call was extremely bad.

tbach24
03-17-2005, 04:12 PM
You both could have any 2 cards so it doesn't really matter. Take a flop and lead into him. Or in headsup is SB in position...I forget.

soah
03-17-2005, 04:17 PM
Who's in position postflop varies by site. At Party the sb will act first on all streets heads up I think, at other places he'll act last. This bit of information is pretty important in determining how to play this hand preflop I think.

tbach24
03-17-2005, 04:39 PM
Yeah, I've played a bit of heads-up on PS, and I've learned one thing:

Cards don't matter. All that matters is your image and the opponents image. Against some players, I'd be willing to get it all-in with mid-pair, against others TPTK is an easy laydown. Of course these are heads-up SnGs as opposed to heads-up play. The best thing to do would be to start off very aggressive, see how he reacts, and once you've got a feeling for him, adjust.

edge
03-17-2005, 08:05 PM
At best (and probably most often), you're a coinflip here. I smoothcall his raise and work with position. If you're playing one of those backwards sites (Party?), I'd be more inclined to reraise, and I guess I would have to call the push.

djr
03-17-2005, 08:42 PM
If he had anything really good he wouldn't have reraised that much. You're at worst a coin flip, probably a favorite. I'd reraise to 50BB and push the flop.

meow_meow
03-18-2005, 11:49 AM
I hate almost everything you did here.
Raise, don't limp.
Fold when he raises 12x bb - there's nothing in the pot.
when you reraise to 36xbb, you are committing yourself to calling all-in if he pushes, since you have no read. If he's moderately tight - has AA-TT or AK here, calling is slightly negative EV.

Spladle Master
03-18-2005, 02:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ummmm, raise pre-flop?

EDIT: Heads up, reads become extremely important. So what's yours?

[/ QUOTE ]

I quote myself. "This is your very first hand with this opponent."

Spladle Master
03-18-2005, 02:39 PM
Well, there doesn't seem to be a real consensus on how I should've played this hand. Except a lot of people told me to raise pre-flop. Honestly, I hate raising pre-flop when I'm going to be out of position for the entire hand. That's why I raise so rarely from the blinds. In this case, I was playing on Party, so I would have to act first on every betting round. I hate going first.

So anyway, I just called.

It's after the other guy raises that it gets tricky. Since this was my first hand with him, I had no idea what cards he'd make this play with. The only thing I knew was that I was on Party Poker and only four hands had me in really bad shape. So I decided to put on some pressure. Obviously after he comes over the top I can't believe I'm ahead, but I didn't think he'd play AA-QQ like he did before the flop, so the only hand I was really worried about was AK. He might've had jacks or tens, also, which would make the call correct.

Or he might've had what he actually did, which was Q/images/graemlins/heart.gifT/images/graemlins/heart.gif.

Anywho, a ten flopped and I lost my stack.