PDA

View Full Version : "Checking it down"

HollywoodDB
03-17-2005, 02:57 PM
I'm not sure where to post this, so I'll go with here.

This is more of a live game thing (I've never seen it on internet).

When the short stack goes all-in, and 2 players call, is it correct for the 2 callers to check it down? The idea is to knock out the all-in player. Thus, moving you up in table rank. Obviously, if there was a huge side pot, you wouldn't do it. But, even if there is no side pot, I don't see the logic in this. What do you guys think?

citanul
03-17-2005, 03:19 PM
it depends.

citanul

pooh74
03-17-2005, 03:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
it depends.

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed...

lol, actually that's right...but one major thing i consider is how far along u are...i think with three players left it is USUALLY right...with 8 players, not so much...also, is side pot dry (u mentioned that). Also, what kiind of hand did you flop, are there potential draws that diminish your made hand etc...

so, it depends...

parttimepro
03-17-2005, 03:52 PM
Never bluff a dry side pot. Do you see why?

If you have a made hand, and you think your opponent will call with a worse hand, you should bet. If you think he's on a draw, then it depends on whether it's more important to win this hand or knock out the guy who's all in.

citanul
03-17-2005, 05:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this is bad advice. it is wrong. do you see why?

pooh74
03-17-2005, 05:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this is bad advice. it is wrong. do you see why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Took the words out of my mouth

citanul
03-17-2005, 05:30 PM
am i the only one who fluctuates rapidly between amused an annoyed by people who have no idea what they're talking about using arrogant, stupid phrases like the "do you see why?"

citanul

pooh74
03-17-2005, 06:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
am i the only one who fluctuates rapidly between amused an annoyed by people who have no idea what they're talking about using arrogant, stupid phrases like the "do you see why?"

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

it depends on how fluctuated the market has been lately with such a phrase...i like it more when its not used as often...

holla

/images/graemlins/wink.gif

badcompany299
03-17-2005, 06:06 PM
this happened today to me for first time, i never really thought about it before.

4 ppl left in a 10 man sng, button goes all in with 600 chips with 55, sb calls with JJ and i call with KJ. jack flops and we both checked all the way down.

it makes more sense here, i called not because i thought i had best hand but to increase the chances of busting out the small stack, and their being 4 ppl left it just made sense to check it down and put me and the JJ ITM

HollywoodDB
03-17-2005, 06:25 PM
Yeah, I guess my question is pretty vague. If there are only 4 players left, I get a clear advantage by driving out on more player. however if there are 8 players left and I have a decent size stack, I would be better off trying to win the pot than knocking out a player...agreed?

octaveshift
03-17-2005, 06:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm with you. Do you see why?

citanul
03-17-2005, 06:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If there are only 4 players left, I get a clear advantage by driving out on more player. however if there are 8 players left and I have a decent size stack, I would be better off trying to win the pot than knocking out a player...agreed?

[/ QUOTE ]

no.

david050173
03-17-2005, 07:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
this happened today to me for first time, i never really thought about it before.

4 ppl left in a 10 man sng, button goes all in with 600 chips with 55, sb calls with JJ and i call with KJ. jack flops and we both checked all the way down. If we can get you to put any chips in, he is a fool for not betting.

it makes more sense here, i called not because i thought i had best hand but to increase the chances of busting out the small stack, and their being 4 ppl left it just made sense to check it down and put me and the JJ ITM

[/ QUOTE ]

This seems like a prime example of when not to check it down. If I have trips, it has to be a pretty scary board for me to think my hand isn't good.

Elem100
03-17-2005, 08:37 PM
I laughed the first time i read it now its just irritating I agree with you

HollywoodDB
03-17-2005, 09:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If there are only 4 players left, I get a clear advantage by driving out on more player. however if there are 8 players left and I have a decent size stack, I would be better off trying to win the pot than knocking out a player...agreed?

[/ QUOTE ]

no.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, great advice. So far you have resonded with "It depends" and "no". Thanks, I learned alot. If you don't know, just say so. This site is to learn, not to be arrogant.

lastchance
03-17-2005, 09:42 PM
It all depends on your stack size. With 4 players, and your stack just barely higher than the guy who's already all-in, and a mediocre hand, yeah, check it down. But if you're big stack, you're always looking for more chips, not getting ITM.

Nick B.
03-17-2005, 09:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
*** You are ignoring this user ***

[/ QUOTE ]

No Citanul, you are not the only one who gets annoyed at people using stupid statements like "Do you see why". It is an automatic ignoring for me.

Mammux
03-17-2005, 10:01 PM
I can think of a couple of reasons to bluff a dry sidepot:

1) You want to set your opponent up for a later hand.
2) You are the big stack and want to keep the short stack alive on the bubble.
3) You have ace high or a low pocket pair, and think you can beat the all-in player but not the other player in the side pot.

What I would rarely or never do, though, is call with a hand that only beats a bluff when the bettor bet into a dry sidepot.

-Magnus

citanul
03-18-2005, 01:44 AM
you didn't ask for advice.

the first time you asked what we think.

my response was "it depends" which is indeed, what i think.

the second time, your post closed with "agreed?"

my answer ws "no," which accurately answers the question "agreed."

did you ask me for a set of situatoins where i would bluff a player out of a sidepot, or a dry side pot? no. if you had, i would have given you several, and some theory on the subject. ask a stupid question, get a concise answer.

citanul

ZebraAss
03-18-2005, 01:56 AM
/images/graemlins/frown.gif ...I haven’t laughed at a thread in a long time from the SNG forum. Thanks citanul and pooh /images/graemlins/grin.gif

To OP: Your guest ion is wayyyyy to broad to answer in 100 pages. make a new thread or think out your question more. Thanks

-Zebra

PS: "Do you see why." The has got to go. It doesn’t belong in the SNG forum.

citanul
03-18-2005, 02:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks citanul and pooh /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

just glad i could be part of something special.

citanul

lorinda
03-18-2005, 02:08 AM

How can someone with a brain the size of a pea make 187 posts on an internet forum that isn't connected with lobotomies?

Edit: A quick check shows this to be a NL-SS poster, so I apologise. Anyone who learned to play in there is entitled to be clueless and arrogant.

Lori

citanul
03-18-2005, 02:37 AM
Note: I don't count my actions in this thread as being mean, since it's to jackasses. I'm exempt from getting "hey jackass be nicer" notes for this one.

Lori: just because he's brainless doesn't entitle him to anything in my book, besides being mocked, or occasionally pointed at and laughed at.

citanul

ZebraAss
03-18-2005, 02:38 AM
Yea this thread isn't funny any more.

END OF THREAD

citanul
03-18-2005, 02:41 AM
agreed.

op: sorry we couldn't write you a book to answer your question. try harder on being specific next time.

citanul

lorinda
03-18-2005, 02:46 AM

citanul

Possibly.

I'm usually amused, but if they do it when I'm having a bad week, and they usually post in a forum that I'm "banned" from posting in, then it's likely they'll annoy me.

Lori

citanul
03-18-2005, 02:49 AM
wtf forum are you "banned" from posting in?

citanul

lorinda
03-18-2005, 02:52 AM
NL-SS posters made it clear I wasn't welcome there because I thought they were all useless at poker. (Short version)

Lori

ZebraAss
03-18-2005, 02:54 AM
So a whole forum ganged up on you? Wierd...

citanul
03-18-2005, 02:56 AM
you alright tonight lori? (er, this morning?)

you're in an abnormally surly mood tonight, normally seen out of only a few on this forum.

edit: btw, "useless at poker" is one of my new favorite phrases.

citanul
03-18-2005, 02:57 AM
It was clear none of them could have taken her 1 on 1.

lorinda
03-18-2005, 03:01 AM
I'm fine. It has been known for me to go nuts occasionally.

"Do you see why?" used incorrectly is probably as likely as most things to get me shouting at people.

Lori