PDA

View Full Version : Chips Needed?

b8factor
03-17-2005, 02:20 PM
This has always been such a touchy subject for me. I like to play at home as I would at the Caino’s. Back in the day when 10/20 meant everyone had a grand in BLUE CHIPS in front of them. /images/graemlins/wink.gif That means for a 10 person game I need at least 2000 in blue to handle rebuys after someone busts out.

Then there are the 5/10 games with a single stack of white for the small ante and then large stacks of RED. That’s another 2000 in red chips and 1000 in white.

Ok, now we are tournament too because… well everyone’s doing it and it is the social thing to do if you play Poker these days. We have a nice DEEP stack slow blind structure that starts with 10000 in chips and blinds starting at 25-50 and ending in 5000, 10000. So to prevent everyone from ONLY having 20 chips we are talking 4000-5000 chips for a 30-50ish player game. That is 1000 GREEN, 2000 BLACK, 1000 PURPLE, and misc orange and grey if you do not have access to plaques. (Speaking of which I am trying to get www.abbiati.com (http://www.abbiati.com) to do a home set for holdem tournaments).

Now all of a sudden cost has moved from the bottom constraint to the top. Accept when dealing with cash games. I like CUSTOM one of a kind chips for cash games. You do not want a friend of a friend bringing over the same chips you have he got off the net and then cashing out early and leaving with an extra C note do you? You want to make sure the chips are as protected as possible, and if people walk out with them… who cares, you paid a buck and they cashed in for 1, 5, 10, 25, 100, or etc. 

Lately, around here, it has been harder to get a 10/20 home game and everyone is wanting to play .25-.50 no limit. Well, I hate paying a buck per chip when they are going to be representing quarters. Just seems silly, unless I factor the “cool” factor of nice chips and then it is ok. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

All in all, I am always split between having the right amount and the top quality chips. What I really need is for Poker to go nation wide as legal and sell all my businesses and open a card room so I can justify buying 500,000 chips of what ever I want. Muahahahah

C-Dog
03-17-2005, 02:44 PM
Ramble Much? And you may wanna redefine your definition of "friend" if they are coming over with their own chips and stealing from you...

C-Dog

b8factor
03-17-2005, 03:04 PM
Yes I do ramble. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

As to "friends", I said, "friends of friends" which is an entirely differant thing.

Most the games i play have a group of 10-15 GOOD friends, most of which were be-friended through the game, an the rest of the ppl that hear about the games from others. So we do not know everyone and theft has been a problem. But hey, this is poker. We are there to take ppl's money more so than some ppl play just for the social aspect.

The motto, "If you cried at old Yeller, this game isn't for you!"

Nickmast
03-17-2005, 03:08 PM
10,000 in chips with a 25/50 starting blind??? Your game must last 10 hours with that structure.

b8factor
03-17-2005, 03:10 PM
yes it is, and I said as much in my post... hehe

WE like to play poker, not just fiddle around and gamble it up. We play for big bucks and points and like to reward the better players more than the lucky ones; therefore, deep stack WSOP and WPT type games.

-William