PDA

View Full Version : Court Advice Sought

MMMMMM
03-17-2005, 01:33 PM
OK here's the deal.

I must to appear to serve on jury duty ("petit juror") in the near future, but I can foresee a potential problem.

My friend, who has served previously, tells me that in his experience the judge instructs everyone that they must show respect for the court by wearing business-suit-type of attire.

Here's the problem: I have gained so much weight from playing almost exclusively online for almost two years, that all I can fit into now is my sweatpants. Also, I am at a particular girth where the next size up in slacks or real pants would be a HUGE leap in terms of fit, and any dress pants I would wear at that size would look like balloons in the legs and hip areas. Yet at the next size down (my old pants) I can't even begin to fasten the waist button, so wearing a belt and a tucked in dress shirt would be out of the question.

So..what the heck can I do? I have to appear for jury duty in less than two weeks. Should I show up for the preliminary day in sweats and just hope they don't select me for further service?

I think jury service would be interesting (as long it was a trial of moderately short length, not weeks or anything like that) and I don't mind doing my civic duty. But I just don't know what to do if the judge instructs everyone to show up in business attire (could I possibly be held in contempt of court for dressing like a bum if I don't?).

Needless to say, I cannot lose the necessary blubber in time to fit into my old pants before jury duty. I do not want to look like a goofball with super-baggy pants either, which is what I would look like if I went out now and bought pants that I could fasten at the waist. Seriously the next size up on me would look like those kids wearing hip-hop style pants or something. Nor do I think it makes any financial sense to purchase up to several pairs of such pants just for the jury duty, since I will be losing this weight as I am going to start swimming again soon (walking a few times a week just isn't cutting it).

Any advice will be appreciated! Thanks.

lucas9000
03-17-2005, 01:36 PM
just try to do your best. you'd have to do a lot more to be held in contempt, i'm sure.

Glenn
03-17-2005, 01:37 PM
Just go to Marshall's or something equivalent and pick up $50 worth of stuff--then head over to the gym. There is no way you will look more goofy in anything than in sweat pants.

mmbt0ne
03-17-2005, 01:38 PM
Just tag some new ones. It's easy.

MMMMMM
03-17-2005, 01:39 PM
I don't know; I mean I have tried on the next size up and it is simply HUGE on me. It's like they cut it for elephants or something.

Patrick del Poker Grande
03-17-2005, 01:40 PM
Do you not ever go out in public?

Dynasty
03-17-2005, 01:40 PM
I'm surprised you're asking this question since you should be familiar with this woman who wore a Star Trek uniform (http://www.cnn.com/US/fringe/9603/03-14/trek.html) to the Whitewater trial.

http://www.cnn.com/US/fringe/9603/03-14/star_trek_juror.jpg

Two Finger
03-17-2005, 01:42 PM
what's so hard about buying new pants? Dockers has thoose khakis w/the elastic waist so you can grow or retract a few inches and still be good to go.

If you're not in the mood to even go shopping for pants, can't you order online while you sit out a few hands?

Showing up to jury duty in sweatpants isn't an option. It's kind of a mockery don't you think and like Seinfeld says, showing up in the real world w/sweatpants on means you've given up. .

Getting in shape is probably the best thing that you can do for yourself.

astroglide
03-17-2005, 01:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I must to appear to serve on jury duty ("petit juror")

[/ QUOTE ]

why don't ya give me ape tit for $200?

MMMMMM
03-17-2005, 01:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I do, in my sweatpants. Nothing else fits anymore.

mmcd
03-17-2005, 01:48 PM
I recommend a "[censored] This Court" t-shirt ala Larry Flynt.

jakethebake
03-17-2005, 01:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm really surprised/disappointed you missed an opportunity to say something about going without pants. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

cardcounter0
03-17-2005, 01:52 PM
Too fat and slovenly to carry out your civic duty as a citizen? BAW-HAhahahahaw!

Sophia
03-17-2005, 01:52 PM

peachy
03-17-2005, 01:54 PM
u can claim a conflict of interest, biast, etc etc if u dont feel like going. If ur gonna be miserable i wouldnt want u on my jury so i feel thats a legitament enough of an excuse to make up an excuse in order to be excused! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

honestly...ur not the one on trail nor tryin to impress the judge...u can wear what u want, they can suggest atire but cannot make you "buy" new clothes for the trail.

So if u feel that strongy either excuse urself from duty or go how u feel comfortable. Either way this should be a motivator for u to get back in shape if thats what u want!!

daryn
03-17-2005, 01:54 PM
are you really that obese? you can't buy jeans?

MMMMMM
03-17-2005, 01:55 PM
Thank you, cardcounter0, this is quite possibly your best post yet;-)

jakethebake
[ QUOTE ]
OK here's the deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

How old are you?

cardcounter0
pretending he has read something, or appearing to be a racist or sexist, is something MMMMMM does naturally. I wonder how many pizza stains are on those sweat pants?

MMMMMM
03-17-2005, 01:58 PM
I don't eat pizza much at all; the fat I have is at least 'healthy' fat from good nutritious food sources (as opposed to poisoin-filled fat from nitrite-loaded cold cuts etc.); just too much food and too little exercise I'm afraid.

MMMMMM
03-17-2005, 02:00 PM
The size jump from 42-44 to 46 is like it's cut for another species or something. I should ideally be about a size 36.

cardcounter0
03-17-2005, 02:00 PM
Healthy fat? Ahhhhh-HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! It just keeps getting better. You are seriously deluded. Why not just show up in court wearing your pajamas like Micheal Jackson did? You are both obviously in the same removed-from-reality mental state.

MMMMMM
03-17-2005, 02:01 PM
What has that got to do with it? Early-mid 40's.

MMMMMM
03-17-2005, 02:02 PM
Thank you cardcounter0 for another excellent post.

peachy
03-17-2005, 02:02 PM
can we be helpful instead of rude and condesending??

Ray Zee
03-17-2005, 02:03 PM
if you believe in jury nullification tell them at selection and you will go home. other wise tell the judge that is all you have to wear and that the court can buy you a new outfit if it wants you to dress differently than you normally do. ask him if you will be in contempt of court for not dressing the way his fashion preferences fall. if he says yes ask for a delay so you can consult counsel. worse case you get to have some fun with the judge that decides to put his views on you. if you lose go to the thrift store and buy some used crap and wear that.

then get yourself back in shape before you have a heart attck and real problems my friend.

Patrick del Poker Grande
03-17-2005, 02:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm really surprised/disappointed you missed an opportunity to say something about going without pants. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
You know what? In retrospect, I'm quite disappointed now too.

cardcounter0
03-17-2005, 02:10 PM
well, I guess we could feel sorry for the fat slob who sits around on his ass all day and can now only fit into sweat pants

_OR_

We could say that he is personally responsible for his bad condition and inability to meet even minimum tasks required by society.

I mean, show up dressed nice for jury duty. The inhumanity of it all!

MMMMMM
03-17-2005, 02:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
well, I guess we could feel sorry for the fat slob who sits around on his ass all day and can now only fit into sweat pants

_OR_

We could say that he is personally responsible for his bad condition and inability to meet even minimum tasks required by society.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not looking for sympathy, I'm trying to come up with the best solution.

cardcounter0
03-17-2005, 02:13 PM
Do you own any guns?

mmcd
03-17-2005, 02:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]

_OR_

[/ QUOTE ]

Translation:

I disagree with his political views, so I take every opportunity to attack him personally.

cardcounter0
03-17-2005, 02:20 PM
translation: I love to pointificate about how the world should be run sitting around on my fat ass at home which I can never leave since I don't even have decent clothes I can wear.
/images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

MMMMMM
03-17-2005, 02:21 PM
Thanks Ray, and thanks everyone else who took this seriously.

Now I have to look up "jury nullification". Then I'm going out for a walk and tomorrow I will finish off the rest of the food in the fridge (not much in there) and then 'til jury duty I will eat almost nothing but plain tuna, plain salad, and Met-Rx shakes. MAYBE by then it will be possible to have lost much of the bloat.

Jeez what if I had to get dressed for something even more serious. Wow how I have slipped off into the ether world of the internet.

Thx again all.

jakethebake
03-17-2005, 02:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What has that got to do with it? Early-mid 40's.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing. I was just asking.

mmcd
03-17-2005, 02:29 PM
Early-mid 40's.

Why don't you just say 43?

Patrick del Poker Grande
03-17-2005, 02:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Early-mid 40's.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure he's 44.

cardcounter0
03-17-2005, 02:44 PM
http://snapsblog.com/i/580/snaps_ultra-fat-man_i-beat-anorexia_t-shirt.jpg

jakethebake
03-17-2005, 02:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Early-mid 40's.

[/ QUOTE ]

nice read.

GreywolfNYC
03-17-2005, 03:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks Ray, and thanks everyone else who took this seriously.

Now I have to look up "jury nullification". Then I'm going out for a walk and tomorrow I will finish off the rest of the food in the fridge (not much in there) and then 'til jury duty I will eat almost nothing but plain tuna, plain salad, and Met-Rx shakes. MAYBE by then it will be possible to have lost much of the bloat.

Jeez what if I had to get dressed for something even more serious. Wow how I have slipped off into the ether world of the internet.

Thx again all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jaysus man, get yourself something halfway decent to wear to court and THEN use some lame old ploy to get excused. And then, please, get yourself on a treadmill and a diet and get rid of that weight. I'm older than you are and I sure as hell don't want to have a coronary. I'm 6ft0 and my normal weight is around 190. I went up to 210 once and it felt like I was carrying around a bowling ball in my shirt. Couldn't walk up a flight of stairs without getting winded. I got my butt into a gym and did the Atkins diet and the weight just fell right off me. Haven't put it back on either.
Good luck to you.

bosoxfan
03-17-2005, 03:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
pointificate

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a good word.

jakethebake
03-17-2005, 03:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
pointificate

[/ QUOTE ]
That's a good word.

[/ QUOTE ]

especially when spelled correctly.

Brainwalter
03-17-2005, 03:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
pointificate

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a good word.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like pontificate better

meep_42
03-17-2005, 03:24 PM
I think this is the saddest thing I have ever heard.

-d

jakethebake
03-17-2005, 03:27 PM
My advice is learn to speak in a thick Scottish accent.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm bigger than you and higher up the food chain. Get in my belly.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I've got more chins than a Chinese phonebook.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Yes sir...Mr English Colonel telling me to lose weight. Oh I'm a hard case he says, well listen up Sonny Jim.... I ate a baby! Oh aye, baby it's what's for dinner, baby the other, other white meat.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Do ya have tae call me fat? I tried going on a diet ye know. The zone, ye know "Carbs are the enemy." But the portions were so wee I ate the delivery man.

[/ QUOTE ]

Victor
03-17-2005, 03:29 PM
sweatpants in public, eh. seinfeld said this is a sign you have given up on life.

J.R.
03-17-2005, 03:31 PM
you're getting way ahead of yourself their hoss, just kick back and deal with it if it becomes and issue. maybe your state is mad different than most but IMO your speculation re: juror dress codes and the possibility for a contempt citation is wildly inconsistent with the reality of litigation in most state courts.

btw, you do know about tailors?

jakethebake
[ QUOTE ]
sweatpants in public, eh. seinfeld said this is a sign you have given up on life.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are they velvet sweatpants?

Patrick del Poker Grande
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

cardcounter0
03-17-2005, 03:36 PM
I think this might be a pic of him in action:

MMMMMM playing poker online? (http://snapsblog.com/i/580/snaps_chatting-with-17-f.jpg)

Bluffoon
03-17-2005, 03:41 PM
I see you are self-conscious about your weight. I suggest you suck it up and buy a few pair of pants. I know you don't like it but face it, men put pants on when they go out.

I also encourage you to use this moment to make some lifestyle changes. Go to the bookstore and get some books on nutrition and exercise and start incorporating healthy habits into your life.

Good luck.

jakethebake
03-17-2005, 03:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think this might be a pic of him in action:

http://snapsblog.com/i/580/snaps_chatting-with-17-f.jpg

MMMMMM playing poker online?

[/ QUOTE ]

And don't forget Mrs. MMMMM...

http://snapsblog.com/i/285/snaps_jeans-model.jpg

And MMMMMM Jr.

http://snapsblog.com/i/285/78cdbec35e370366503ca103eb86034f.jpg

Shajen
03-17-2005, 03:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My advice is learn to speak in a thick Scottish accent.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm bigger than you and higher up the food chain. Get in my belly.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I've got more chins than a Chinese phonebook.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Yes sir...Mr English Colonel telling me to lose weight. Oh I'm a hard case he says, well listen up Sonny Jim.... I ate a baby! Oh aye, baby it's what's for dinner, baby the other, other white meat.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Do ya have tae call me fat? I tried going on a diet ye know. The zone, ye know "Carbs are the enemy." But the portions were so wee I ate the delivery man.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I eat because I'm unhappy, I'm unhappy because I eat. It's a vicious cycle.

dsm
03-17-2005, 04:41 PM
http://www.vintageblues.com/1006tees/tux1.jpg

http://www.viperclothes.com/npptcrush1.jpg

http://www.chucksconnection.com/articles/NBAS45.jpg

MMMMMM
03-17-2005, 04:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Early-mid 40's.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because my birthday is fairly soon.

Jeff W
03-17-2005, 04:49 PM
"And early in the morning He came again into the Temple , and all the people came unto Him; and He sat down, and taught them."

"And the scribes and Pharisees brought unto Him a woman taken in adultery; and when they had set her in the midst, They say unto Him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act. Now Moses in the Law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest Thou?"

"This they said, tempting Him, that they might have to accuse Him."

"But Jesus stooped down, and with His finger wrote on the ground, as though He heard them not. So when they continued asking Him, He lifted up Himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her. And again He stooped down, and wrote on the ground."

"And they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst."

"When Jesus had lifted up Himself, and saw none but the woman, He said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? Hath no man condemned thee?"

"She said, No man, Lord."

"And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more." (John 8:2-11 KJV)

MMMMMM
03-17-2005, 04:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure he's 44.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not until late this summer.

jakethebake
03-17-2005, 04:50 PM
"Now didn't I tell you next time you appear in my courtroom that you dress appropriately?" (Judge)

"You were serious about that?" (Vinny)

Patrick del Poker Grande
03-17-2005, 04:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
my birthday is fairly soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure he's 44.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not until late this summer.

[/ QUOTE ]

So is your birthday fairly soon or is it almost half a year from now?

MMMMMM
03-17-2005, 04:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Jaysus man, get yourself something halfway decent to wear to court and THEN use some lame old ploy to get excused. And then, please, get yourself on a treadmill and a diet and get rid of that weight. I'm older than you are and I sure as hell don't want to have a coronary. I'm 6ft0 and my normal weight is around 190. I went up to 210 once and it felt like I was carrying around a bowling ball in my shirt. Couldn't walk up a flight of stairs without getting winded. I got my butt into a gym and did the Atkins diet and the weight just fell right off me. Haven't put it back on either.
Good luck to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks.

I'm up to 270 lbs. and about 12 years ago I was 193. Seven years ago I was 216 after losing some weight dieting and working out. Even at 193 though I could have lost about 10-15 lbs. I think to be really lean and honed.

People tell me now that I "carry it well" though /images/graemlins/tongue.gif and nobody looking at me ever guesses nearly I weigh nearly that much (I am 6'1" and fairly large-framed used to lift a good bit. Still I feel phyically uncomfortable a lot now).

MMMMMM
03-17-2005, 04:57 PM
Isn't late July fairly soon?

MMMMMM
03-17-2005, 04:59 PM
!

cardcounter0
03-17-2005, 05:13 PM
Jesus was killed by conservative religious leaders who didn't like his liberal teachings.

peachy
03-17-2005, 05:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Jesus was killed by conservative religious leaders who didn't like his liberal teachings.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jesus was a crazy man and not the son of god...so how he died is irrelavent

go post it somewhere else

ethan
03-17-2005, 05:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"And lo, you jackasses took this argument to the politics forum, for it was decreed that that was where the [censored] thing belonged."

jakethebake
03-17-2005, 05:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"And lo, you jackasses took this argument to the politics forum, for it was decreed that that was where the [censored] thing belonged."

[/ QUOTE ]

this is incorrect. it belongs in the religion (aka psychology) forum. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

aflaba
03-17-2005, 05:35 PM
You are just a moron

aflaba
03-17-2005, 05:36 PM
That's cool

aflaba
03-17-2005, 05:39 PM
Can anyone post the url to this fiesty political debate(if there is one in particular) that has coused such anger?

wacki
03-17-2005, 05:54 PM
MMMMMM you need to get out more. Healy fat doesn't exist btw, well not in large amounts. You are a smart man, you neet to exercise or you will end up with some serious health problems.

wacki
03-17-2005, 05:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Can anyone post the url to this fiesty political debate(if there is one in particular) that has coused such anger?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if such a debate exists, but cardcounter is the forum moron.

cardcounter0
03-17-2005, 06:00 PM
Yap. The moron who can leave the house wearing pants.
/images/graemlins/grin.gif

andyfox
03-17-2005, 06:01 PM
The best part of Ray's advice was to take care of yourself. Ray and I are old farts, so we know that what the old farts told us when we were young, that your health is the most important thing, is really true.

Life is tough, sometimes, ain't it? Sometimes little things, that everyone else takes for granted, are hard for us and we fell like an idiot. (For example, I never could ride a bicycle. Still can't.) But don't. Just do the best you can in what is a difficult situation for you.

Good luck.

stabn
03-17-2005, 06:22 PM
This was not the case for me. I wore jeans and a tshirt. Basically if the judge says anything about it just tell the baliff you don't have a suit and can't afford one. The baliff would pass that on to the judge and the judge won't mind.

aflaba
03-17-2005, 07:14 PM
I moron who can leave the house wearing pants is still a moron.

cardcounter0
03-17-2005, 07:18 PM
Yes, I'm thinking of all the nice resturants with beautiful women I have been at in the past year while wearing pants.
Dumb ass me. I could have been sitting in the house with my sweats.

MMMMMM
03-17-2005, 08:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, I'm thinking of all the nice resturants with beautiful women I have been at in the past year while wearing pants.
Dumb ass me. I could have been sitting in the house with my sweats.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been to some nice restaurants with beautiful women in the past year too, though wearing sweats. Nobody seemed to mind.

I think you are restricting yourself too much.

cardcounter0
03-17-2005, 08:27 PM
You really are detached from reality. Seek help.

aflaba
03-17-2005, 08:28 PM
I pity you fool.

EDIT: Well... when I think more about it, maybe not. Anyway this is the last post from me here

MMMMMM
03-17-2005, 08:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You really are detached from reality.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't worry, cardcounter0, as long as I've got you I'll be in fine company.

IggyWH
03-17-2005, 08:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I must to appear to serve on jury duty ("petit juror")

[/ QUOTE ]

why don't ya give me ape tit for $200?

[/ QUOTE ]

Happen to know a site that streams these? I used to have them downloaded because someone on the school network had them all.

NVM, found one on my own :

http://www.sennicam.com/snlcelebjeop.htm

[censored] :

That site doesn't work /images/graemlins/frown.gif

HDPM
03-17-2005, 08:56 PM
Kill a few birds with one stone. Order this up web page (http://www.drjays.com/prodXJ057DD008/sean_john_big_and_tall/velour_suit.html)

You will be stylish, comfortable, and not selected. You will be down with urban fashion. Give it a shot.

Michael Davis
03-17-2005, 09:08 PM
Hey M,

The best answer (and I'm shocked it hasn't been given) is to go to a tailor and have a suit made for you. Then, wear it only once, and start hitting the treadmill hard after the trial.

Also, you may be overexaggerating. 270 isn't large enough that you shouldn't be able to find legitimate clothes that fit.

-Michael

Sponger15SB
03-17-2005, 09:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hey M,

The best answer (and I'm shocked it hasn't been given) is

[/ QUOTE ]
http://www.niubniubsuniverse.com/toys/simpsons/0simpsonsfigs/homermumu.jpg

[ QUOTE ]

Homer: I'm looking for something loose and billowy, something comfortable for my first day of work.

Salesman: Work, huh? Let me guess. Computer programmer, computer magazine columnist, something with computers?

Homer: Well, I use a computer.

Salesman: [quietly, to self] Yeah, what's the connection? Must be the non-stop sitting and snacking. [more audibly] Well, sir, many of our clients find pants confining, so we offer a range of alternatives for the ample gentleman: ponchos, muumuus, capes, jumpsuits, unisheets, muslim body rolls, academic and judicial robes --

Homer: I don't want to look like a weirdo. I'll just go with a muumuu.

[/ QUOTE ]

cardcounter0
03-17-2005, 09:22 PM
No problem. Let me introduce you to some of my associates (they are the ones wearing the BLING). /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

http://www3.infoiasi.ro/~fpalamariu/p4/Tiganii%20nostrii%20fara%20bani%20!.jpg

MMMMMM
03-18-2005, 02:39 AM
It says "tumble dry low", HDPM. I'll bet that means it shrinks;-)

ACPlayer
03-18-2005, 03:04 AM
... but make getting back into shape a top priority.

It will help your poker game too.

Dead
03-18-2005, 03:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]

_OR_

[/ QUOTE ]

I normally agree with you on politics man, but your posts in this thread have just been bush league.

Ripping on M6 because of his weight is totally lame and uncalled for.

You should be ashamed. I know I am for you.

Dead
03-18-2005, 03:56 AM
Anyway, M6, I recommend that you show up to court in your sweats and dare the judge to jail you. Also tell him that you believe in something called "jury nullification". They won't allow you to serve on any juries then.

Dantes
03-18-2005, 03:58 AM
wtf? how could he post this thread voluntarily and not expect a huge amount of ridicule? boo hoo for "m6".

Dead
03-18-2005, 04:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
wtf? how could he post this thread voluntarily and not expect a huge amount of ridicule? boo hoo for "m6".

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe he didn't expect more. Maybe he knew it was coming. That makes more impressed that he followed through and posted it.

What do you expect from a bunch of shallow poker nerds though? Seriously. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

MMMMMM
03-18-2005, 05:24 AM
Well Ray Zee first mentioned it in this thread, and now I have looked it up.

The interesting thing is I DO believe in jury nullification, but I didn't know there was a term for it.

For several weeks I have been trying to figure out how I could explain to the court that I would find it very hard to convict a non-violent criminal of an offense that could result in his being placed in a jail or prison, even if I was certain he was guilty. My thoughts on this are that since jails and prisons are often dangerous places, where an inmate may be assaulted, knifed, raped or killed, it is highly immoral to place a non-violent offender there. If someone's punishment is doing time it should not also be being endangered. So until the prisons are made safe, I just cannot see sending non-violent offenders there, generally speaking. Also, I do not think any "victimless crimes" should be punishable by law. I would also be against the death penalty in nearly all cases.

That said, I think I might be doing my civic duty better if I do not inform the court of these views unless asked. Heck I might be able to save someone from an unjust and dangerous punishment.

Link to page on jury nullification:

http://www.cato.org/pubs/policy_report/v21n1/jury.html

nicky g
03-18-2005, 06:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

_OR_

[/ QUOTE ]

I normally agree with you on politics man, but your posts in this thread have just been bush league.

Ripping on M6 because of his weight is totally lame and uncalled for.

You should be ashamed. I know I am for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, showing a total lack of class.

nicky g
03-18-2005, 06:26 AM
You sound like the bleeding heart liberal I always knew you secretly were. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Seriously though, well said.

MMMMMM
03-18-2005, 06:36 AM
It's OK, Nicky--he is just being his normal eight-year-old self. Kids have to be kids, after all.

nicky g
03-18-2005, 06:54 AM
Go to bed man. The crazy hours you keep can't be good for you.

thatpfunk
03-18-2005, 08:22 AM
I hope you can get healthy soon M6. The longer you wait, the more difficult it will become.

Remember that once you start following a diet it will get much easier.

I hope this will spring you into action so you will not encounter the many potential health risks down the line. Good luck sir.

hutz
03-18-2005, 10:31 AM
First -- don't get too bent out of shape at being called to jury duty. The first day you'll be in a room with a lot of other people who have also been called. Someone from the court will organize your big group into smaller jury panels and will send you to a courtroom. From there, your smaller group will be asked questions by the judge and/or the lawyers for both sides. That process is called "voir dire." During that process, the attorneys will have a chance to strike people from the panel. You well may be stricken during that process and won't have to serve on the jury. If you have strong beliefs about the particular case, you may be able to answer certain of the voir dire questions in such a way that you either are stricken for cause or by the choice of the lawyers. If you want to act unethically, you could answer certain questions contrary to your true beliefs and virtually ensure your being stricken from the panel.

Second -- If you are picked, the suggestion above that you ask the baliff to communicate to the judge your inability to purchase a suit is a very good one. If that fails, and you feel like pushing things, wearing a decent pair of Dockers and a collared shirt should be all you need to meet the court's (not the particular judge's) dress code. Unless you have a note from a doctor, I cannot envision wearing sweat pants is going to work.

I have to run to a meeting but I'll post more in a little while if you'd find it helpful.

The_Tracker
06-13-2005, 07:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

POTD

raisethatmofo
06-13-2005, 07:30 AM

bd8802
06-13-2005, 07:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]

POTD FOR MARCH 17th

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

Thread necromancy should really be a ban-able offence.