PDA

View Full Version : Turn bluff raise

sethypooh21
03-17-2005, 01:12 PM
Crap call PF, (I make this call too often I suspect) but moving beyond that...

Raise the flop?

PokerStars 2/4 Hold'em (6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif. MP posts a blind of $2.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, Hero calls, SB folds, BB calls.

Turn: (3.50 BB) 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, MP calls.

River: (7.50 BB) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>

Lost Wages
03-17-2005, 02:34 PM
I raise the poster preflop. Just call the flop, nothing to protect. I don't like the turn raise against 2 opponents given the action. The pot is small, why spew a bunch of chips trying to win unimproved? Just call the turn and raise the river if you hit.

Lost Wages

Rudis
03-17-2005, 02:47 PM
If the turn had been something slightly more dangerous I think it would've had some merit...
I don't think the flop call is that bad. I think if you mix raising and limping in this situation it's all good.

k_squared
03-17-2005, 03:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I raise the poster preflop. Just call the flop, nothing to protect. I don't like the turn raise against 2 opponents given the action. The pot is small, why spew a bunch of chips trying to win unimproved? Just call the turn and raise the river if you hit.

Lost Wages

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. Especially because not only are you not making the pot bigger (you lost the potential caller who folded to your raise), but you are also losing a potential caller on the river when you make your hand. All the raise did was cause you to put more money into the pot!

-k_squared

naphand
03-17-2005, 03:20 PM
I like the line of finding any excuse to raise PF with a poster in the hand, a lot of dead money so why not try and take this pot (if not PF then on the flop). Your hand here is actually pretty OK against 3 blinds, everyone else is out. Even if blinds over-defend here I still like raising. Calling is OK, folding is wrong, you have position on everyone, and everyone in this hand probably has crap.

Flop gives you lots of draws, and I agree that there is not point in doing anything other than calling. MP probably has some crappy J and you want customers for when you hit one of your decent outs.

Turn is a great card, you now have a ton of outs, again no point in raising here as I think MP will certainly call you and unless he gets some kind of embolism he wont be folding the River either. Nothing scary arrived, so you are trying represent a flopped set? Just call and keep your customers.

As it happens, the River card supports the line you took unless MP has his J and you get CR and fold, of course. If MP was on a draw as well, he might check the River and you could take a stab, or fold if he bets. Big draw, didn't work but you make a lot on these hands just by playing the odds correctly. With no reads on any of the players there is very little to support the idea of persuing the line you took.

PF no worries. 3 blinds and position with 98s, I would take that, though you might want to consider raising (did you reads Mason's Magazine article where he raises 52s in a spot very similar to this?).

Jeff W
03-17-2005, 04:01 PM
I hate the turn raise.

Let BB into the mix if he wants to play. You have little of taking down the pot on this board on the turn and you commit yourself to a river bluff in case MP has a draw(there are many on this board) that inadvertantly beats you.

Preflop: Raising or Calling is okay. Folding is not.

TMFS9
03-17-2005, 04:25 PM
if you were going to raise, why not on the flop to try to get a free card? But I would've raise preflop.

Jeff W
03-17-2005, 04:30 PM
Raising the flop is horrible poker.

Raising pre-flop is good poker.

TMFS9
03-17-2005, 04:46 PM
If you're going to the river on your open OESD, why is it horrible to try to save 1 sb? I'm not saying it's best to raise the flop or the turn for that matter, but if Hero felt it was necessary to get aggressive with his draw why not try to get the free card?

Jeff W
03-17-2005, 04:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you're going to the river on your open OESD, why is it horrible to try to save 1 sb?

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Your free card play might fail.
2. Your raise shuts out the BB and SB.

TMFS9
03-17-2005, 04:59 PM
would you bet if it was checked to you?

flawless_victory
03-17-2005, 05:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Raising the flop is horrible poker.

Raising pre-flop is good poker.

[/ QUOTE ]i am sure glad we have the authority on poker here. raise preflop. raise the flop. dont take the free card. quit being a pansy.

Jeff W
03-17-2005, 06:17 PM
What the [censored] is your problem?