PDA

View Full Version : Microbob You Convinced Me!

hogua
03-17-2005, 12:54 PM
Microbob, I've been watching over your shoulder from the begining of your spring training experiment. From the start, I thought your logic was sound. I've read your posts and seen your results, and continue to believe.

So, today I placed my first bet on a spring training game... ever.

Today, I took the Tigers at +141 (smallbet). Seems like a pretty good bet based on on the odds alone. Of course, I've done VERY little research on this game or the teams, but it +141 seemed to good to pass up.

By the way, my wife watched over my shoulder as I placed the bet. She is no convinced that I've become a degenerate gambler.

"How can you bet on a game that doesn't even matter?", she asked.

I explained that the fact that these games don't really matter (especially to a loaded team like the Yankees) is why I made the bet. Didn't work.

I showed her some of Microbob's posts on the subject to try to convince her. Her response..."Isn't that the same nut that played on Party for like a week straight?"

"Yes, that's right. He won a trip on the cruise."

Long pause...

"You're both nuts!. But at least he can take his wife or girlfriend on a cruise"

I think I'm going to come home to a GA intervention tonight. LOL!

MicroBob
03-17-2005, 02:08 PM
Thanks for the compliment...I think.

Telling your wife about this is mistake #1!!

Getting the Tigers at only +141 is mistake #2 (they are at +144 now...I got them when they were +145 last night)!!

Yes...I did win the spot on the cruise.
Although it was only 4 days of playing (and it wasn't like it ws 24-hours a day).

My GF and I fly out to San Diego tomorrow (friday). since the weather here has been positively grey and miserable we are REALLY looking forward to it (more details on my blog at bobspokerblog.blogspot.com).

To the original issue:
To be fair these are pretty short-term results and I haven't bothered researching this stuff as much as I would have liked. Just never got around to it.
Better value can be found by researching which 4 pitchers would be used for each team.
Hell, I could have at least confirmed what I thought I remembered about the Yankees typically having a losing record in spring-training.

It is possible that the Yankees really DO have an advantage just based on their talent. I mean...Jeter and ARod and Sheffield ARE getting their ab's so that's worth something.

But the whole idea that the games don't matter and game-strategy is greatly decreased seems to be working okay for taking the underdog so far.

PIT beat NYY yesterday at +130 or so and I was on that one.

Today I have:
KC +133 at LAA
DET +145 at NYY

FWIW - since the line has moved slightly in DET's favor I suspect that means that the Yankees had enough fans betting this game even with the favorable odds.