PDA

View Full Version : Two plus Two posts - Probability.

lorinda
10-03-2002, 07:58 PM
What is the relationship between the number of views on a thread, the number of posts in the thread, and the actual number of different people who have read the thread?

I remember before they changed the forum that the number of views per post dropped off significantly as it went further down the thread (and often further away from the topic)

Any comments?

GrannyMae
10-03-2002, 08:19 PM
Any comments?

i have determined that if i am part of the thread, my post has had exactly 1.8% of the total views, and 80% of those are my incessant reclicks.

hope that helps
/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

Zeno
10-03-2002, 11:10 PM
I use to look at these numbers and they follow, more or less, an exponential decay curve. You could dub it - The Losing Interest Curve. The more "famous" the poster the longer the interest or half-life, just like the exponential decay of a radionuclide. Thus, David Sklansky, Mason Mulmuth and Ray Zee are usually analogous to Uranium-235 while others are more like Radon-219. This is how people respond to others or to ideas.

-Zeno