PDA

View Full Version : laying down AQ

aba20
03-17-2005, 05:19 AM
Where if ever should I have layed this hand down? I think that is my problem calling when I am almost sure I am beat, even though I know in big pots you have to call. I figured I was behind from the turn raise, but figured I had enough outs to call the raise. I called on the end pot odds. Agressor is also an unknown. I really wanted to lay this down to the turn raise would that have been wrong?
Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, Button calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, Button calls.

Turn: (6.25 BB) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, Button folds, Hero calls.

River: (10.25 BB) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 12.25 BB

It doesn't matter but villian was bluffing with a 86s

jgorham
03-17-2005, 05:39 AM
Welcome to the forums - first things first, you shouldn't post the results of the hand as it biases thinking for people who were gonna respond.

On to the hand: I think you played it perfectly. Even though most times you are behind, you call down to pick up the pot from a bluff or worse queen.

aba20
03-17-2005, 05:52 AM
I'll remeber to leave out results next time.

PancakeBoy
03-17-2005, 06:12 AM
I don't know how this being a 1-2 limit game changes things (i normally play 5-10 or higher) but when the turn comes K and you get raised....i think you have to lay it down. QT is the best hand you beat, and I don't think QT or worse plays like this at all.

aba20
03-17-2005, 06:16 AM
so you wouldn't degend against the bluff at all?

PancakeBoy
03-17-2005, 06:58 AM
Sure you get bluffed out once in awhile but the raise on the turn there is STRONG, usually signaling at least two pair. I don't think people bluff often enough with a raise on the turn to make it profitable to call down (unless you know you're opponent is capable of doing this).

Do you really think the humps online playing low limits are capable of raising you on the turn with something you can beat? You can make the crying calls on the turn and river and I used to do it alot too, but I always end up kicking myself for it ("I KNEW he had me beat...")

Also if you've read the Middle Limit Hold Em book by Caffione (yeah it's middle limit but I think a lot of it applies to the smaller stakes), the authors heavily favor folding in situations like this, where you get raised on the turn with a holding that can only beat things that call it down...

aba20
03-17-2005, 07:16 AM
I just bought their book and am about half way through. Where do they discuss this example? I would guess in turn play section but if you had a page that woud be helpful.