PDA

View Full Version : Possibly buying this from dell? any help would be appreciated (X post)

craig r
03-17-2005, 03:42 AM
I am thinking of getting this computer from dell. I don't have tons of money, but I want something that will work and do what I want:

Dell 6000
Pentium M 1.5
WSUXGA
512 (2 dimms..will upgrade later myself)
60 GB HD (4400 rpm i think)
Accidental Protection

I know the screen will allow me to four table, but will I be able to run PT and GT+ as well as 4 table?

My current desktop is a couple of years old:

40 GB HD
768 RAM
AMD Athlon 1.15 Ghz

Which one has better performance and speed?

Last question: Are refurbished Dell's (particular 8600) worth buying?

Thanks for any help with this.

craig

Shajen
03-17-2005, 10:15 AM
Dude, Dell has a 2.4GHz (I think) with DVD burner, CD rom drive, 256MB of memory (Upgrade to a gig for around $100) for $399.

I think this might be the better way to go for you.

The computer you have is probably better than the one you are looking to get.

GL

wh1t3bread
03-17-2005, 10:26 AM
I'm about to buy the very same machine (unless I talk myself out of it in the next 10 hours). If money is not an option upgrade the processor and get a gig of RAM now. as opposed to upgrading later. Are you planning on storing a lot of multimedia files on there (mp3, jpg, movies?). If you are upgrade the hard drive as well. What about a DVD burner? You may not think you need it now, but remember when everyone didn't think they would need CD burners?

Other than that Dell makes a good computer and their customer service is great if something does go wrong. IMO, It's definitely worth getting at LEAST a two year warranty + complete accidental protection.

Go here and find some coupon codes you can use that can save you $600 -$750.

http://www.techbargains.com/coupons.cfm

Patrick del Poker Grande
03-17-2005, 10:50 AM
Two things if you can afford them:

1) Bump up to the Pentium M 1.6 if you can - I believe that's where the FSB jumps from 400MHz to 533MHz

2) Get the 60GB 7200rpm hard drive - this'll make a difference with PT and many other things.

Also, get yourself a coupon code (http://www.xpbargains.com/dell_coupons/). It can save you hundreds.

craig r
03-18-2005, 12:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
2) Get the 60GB 7200rpm hard drive - this'll make a difference with PT and many other things.

[/ QUOTE ]

i did this.

thanks for all of the help everyone. fwiw, i called in my order and they gave me an even better price than i would have gotten online w/ my coupon.

craig