PDA

View Full Version : Pocket Queens on an all spade board

KDawgCometh
03-16-2005, 11:58 PM
Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (6 SB) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, BB calls.

Turn: (5 BB) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

River: (7 BB) A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 7 BB

BB is tight passive generally and hasn't shown much aggression. Did I overplay this since I didn't have a spade in my hand

deepsquat
03-17-2005, 12:00 AM
I think you did ok.

If hes tight passive you could maybe bet the river and hope he folds a low /images/graemlins/spade.gif but thats prob wishful thinking.

Tough hand.

DoctorDrew
03-17-2005, 12:16 AM
My initial thought (L'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace) was to bet the river, but I think I would check this through. He's not going to call with much you can beat. I like the turn bet.

So, I think you played it right.

LoaferGee12
03-17-2005, 12:30 AM
I wouldn't mind a check on the turn and then calling a bet on the river (betting if checked to again). I think a non-spade hand is more likely to pay you off this way (whether it be a bluff on the river or a call after seeing you check the turn). It also gets you to a showdown for 1 bet everytime in case you're behind.

NateDog
03-17-2005, 12:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't mind a check on the turn and then calling a bet on the river (betting if checked to again). I think a non-spade hand is more likely to pay you off this way (whether it be a bluff on the river or a call after seeing you check the turn). It also gets you to a showdown for 1 bet everytime in case you're behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Clarkmeister's theorem: (paraphrased from a shady memory, and please correct it if it's wrong.) HU, when the 4th flush card hits, BET.

Entity
03-17-2005, 12:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Clarkmeister's theorem: (paraphrased from a shady memory, and please correct it if it's wrong.) HU, when the 4th flush card hits, BET.

[/ QUOTE ]

It usually applies out of position.

If this guy will pay off with one-pair hands, then bet. I think checking is fine though.

Rob

Shillx
03-17-2005, 01:13 AM
Hands like this are really interesting because people don't really understand how to play in these spots. Most people take the "check with outs, bet with no outs" approach but that sucks when the pot is big because you give your opponent a free chance at a chop.

So in this spot, you will give up 2.5 BB when you check and a 5th /images/graemlins/spade.gif falls. Since a 5th spade will come 9/46 = ~20% of the time, you are giving up .5 BB of EV when you have the best hand. Granted you will get outdrawn in other ways, but you also have outs against something like T8 so let's call it a wash.

So everytime you check with the best hand, you give away .5 BB. When he calls with the worst hand on the turn, his EV is about -.9 BB/turn play and -.3 BB/Hand. So he will be making a bad call if he calls with something like JJ (no spade). The problem is that sometimes you will get check/raised or walked (by a low flush).

So in order to bet the turn for value, you need to have him call with the worst hand on the turn more then 53% of the time that he calls (10/19). Again he is making a -.3BB call when he does so with the worst hand. If he will not call with a worse hand, you should check the turn and figure out what to do on the river. All in all, I think you should check the turn in this spot.

Brad