PDA

View Full Version : QJ, straight don't bet?

RustedCorpse
03-16-2005, 11:56 PM
Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed)
converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

My opponent is loose, real loose, but generally passive.

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, MP1 calls, MP3 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls.

Turn: (8.50 BB) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, MP1 folds, Hero calls.

River: (12.50 BB) K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, Hero calls.

Is this a check call river?

Final Pot: 16.50 BB

A_C_Slater
03-17-2005, 12:09 AM
I like it.

ThePenguin
03-17-2005, 12:15 AM
With your read, yeah. With most players i think it's worth another raise.

CallMeIshmael
03-17-2005, 12:35 AM
Before I say anything, I will say that I would play this hand the same as you almost 100% of the time...

BUT...

I think this IS a check-call river, and even thinking about 3-betting is spewish.

This may have to do with differing idea's of passive players, but, generally I would assume that a flop raise from a passive player means top pair or better.

Now, on the flop you may have a better kicker (unlikely) plus you have the OESD, so pump it for equity.

But, once he raises you on the turn, what are you putting him on that we are ahead of on the river?

He might have KQ, so we tie, but other than that we are behind all of his likely holdings.

If we assume his turn raise means "I have a T or better", the only logical hand we are ahead of on the river is AT. But, most passive players don't raise middle pair against a 3-straight on the flop.

Now, that aside, I hate all of the options here.

Check-calling lets him check behind the rare times we are ahead.

Bet-Calling allows him to raise when he is full.

Bet-folding might make us fold when he also has the straight.

But, over all, IMO, I like check calling best.