PDA

View Full Version : Loud Noises are Destroying my Tenuous Grip on Sanity.

Jeff W
03-16-2005, 11:28 PM
Some moron who just moved onto my floor has an incredibly loud stereo system. I have extremely low tolerance for noise--much less blaring bass(Ex: I have a loud fan running in my room 24 hours a day so that I can't hear the people in the room next door talking).

Can someone recommend some good ear plugs or another solution to this problem? I place a premium on effectiveness and comfort, but I don't want to break the bank.

The only other choice I see is to kill him.

istewart
03-16-2005, 11:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

The only other choice I see is to kill him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dead
03-16-2005, 11:31 PM
Complain to the building manager.

NotInchoateHand1
03-16-2005, 11:31 PM
I'd wait 'till he's having sex and pound on his door for a few minutes. You can always call the cops and say you think you heard someone fall down, and you know he's a diabetic, would they mind opening the door and looking around.

nothumb
03-16-2005, 11:35 PM
Umm, go to him and ask him to turn his stereo down?

Is this totally insane?

NT

PhatTBoll
03-16-2005, 11:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have a loud fan running in my room 24 hours a day so that I can't hear the people in the room next door talking

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you spend 24 hours a day in your room or do you hear the voices everywhere you go? Regardless, you have more important concerns than loud stereos.

NotInchoateHand1
03-16-2005, 11:37 PM
That's [censored] stupid. What are you going to do next, advocate talking to girls to all the lameasses who are trying to get laid?

Jeff W
03-16-2005, 11:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Do you spend 24 hours a day in your room or do you hear the voices everywhere you go?

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

[ QUOTE ]
Regardless, you have more important concerns than loud stereos.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably.

Jeff W
03-16-2005, 11:44 PM
I think it would be unreasonable to ask him to turn his stereo down, because he is only playing it maybe 1.5-2 hours/day.

It is probably my problem that I am abnormal in this regard, so I figured that I should implement a solution on my end unless I am certain that I am in the right.

Jeff W
03-16-2005, 11:45 PM
I may be insane, but I am not an [censored]. I would definitely discuss it with him before I did this.

astroglide
03-17-2005, 12:55 AM
earplugs won't help the bass much

tek
03-17-2005, 06:00 AM
The chick next to my cube has her phone on speakerphone LOUD. I hear her dial out. I hear her phone class. I hear her messages.

I emailed her nicely to turn the volume down, but she didn't.

/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Reef
03-17-2005, 06:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think it would be unreasonable to ask him to turn his stereo down, because he is only playing it maybe 1.5-2 hours/day.

[/ QUOTE ]

go talk to the guy. Be polite. If he's a dick and still bumps his sounds, slash his tires.

Sporky
03-17-2005, 09:46 AM
tell your boss you need to move cubes because she is a loud ass. we move people all the time in my company. it's easy to box [censored] from one cube, put it in the chair, and roll it wherever the hell else they need to go.

partygirluk
03-17-2005, 09:51 AM
Just ask him to keep it down. I shared a flat with a rapper last year who liked to listen to loud music with lots of bass. Whenever I asked him to turn it down he obliged, and was generally good about it.

codewarrior
03-17-2005, 09:57 AM
Bose noise-cancelling headphones, you can listen to music with them or just use them for the noise cancelling. ~$300.00

Paluka
03-17-2005, 10:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The chick next to my cube has her phone on speakerphone LOUD. I hear her dial out. I hear her phone class. I hear her messages.

[/ QUOTE ]

She probably figured that if you didn't have the balls to talk to her rather than email her even though she works right next to you, then why should she oblige?

Patrick del Poker Grande
03-17-2005, 10:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
She probably figured that if you didn't have the balls to talk to her rather than email her even though she works right next to you, then why should she oblige?

[/ QUOTE ]
People need to get some balls around here.

frank_iii
03-17-2005, 12:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

She was told that she could listen to her speakerphone at a reasonable volume from nine to eleven, she told Bill that if Sandra is going to listen to her headphones while she's filing then she should be able to listen to the speakerphone while she's collating so she doesn't see why she should have to turn down the speakerphone because she enjoys listening at a reasonable volume from nine to eleven.

Patrick del Poker Grande
03-17-2005, 12:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
She was told that she could listen to her speakerphone at a reasonable volume from nine to eleven, she told Bill that if Sandra is going to listen to her headphones while she's filing then she should be able to listen to the speakerphone while she's collating so she doesn't see why she should have to turn down the speakerphone because she enjoys listening at a reasonable volume from nine to eleven.

[/ QUOTE ]
Nice.

tek
03-18-2005, 11:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
tell your boss you need to move cubes because she is a loud ass. we move people all the time in my company. it's easy to box [censored] from one cube, put it in the chair, and roll it wherever the hell else they need to go.

[/ QUOTE ]

We all have to be in the same area. No place to run to. The border of her department and mine just happen to be our cubes.

At any rate she is what Seinfeld calls a Loud Talker, so I would have to up or down a floor...

pshreck
03-18-2005, 11:43 PM
LOL Tek how far back do you go when browsing through threads?

Sooga
03-18-2005, 11:45 PM
I had the exact same problem as you, as I have a low tolerance for noise... I asked him to turn it down nicely, he exploded at me. So I bought some lockpicking tools and made some modifications. Seven months later and the dumb bastard apparently still hasn't noticed.

tek
03-18-2005, 11:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I didn't want the entire floor hearing us get into it. I felt a tactful email would be better than a verbal confrontation.

Her not obliging shows what a bich she is. She obviously gets off on her loud dialing, loud conference calls and being what she thinks is a big shot for being able to do conference call all the time.

If I spoke to her in person, I'd probably end up yaking my red stapler back and burning the building down at night /images/graemlins/grin.gif

shadow29
03-19-2005, 12:12 AM
Meh. I didn't bother to read the thread. But I share your problem. I have an extremely low tolerance for noise. Moderately loud music I can handle (as long as its my music), but everything else bugs the hell out of me. Loud eaters, especially.

We can be insane buddies.

KidPokerX
03-19-2005, 12:19 AM
You could always sit out of your game for 5 minutes. Leave that dark cave you call your bedroom, and walk your ass to his door. Use your hand to knock on the door (careful - it may feel different than clicking on a mouse). When the person answers, politely ask of them your request. They will most likely oblige.
You can then go back to your computer and post another one of your daily challenges for advice.
Best of luck in the outdoors.

miajag81
03-19-2005, 02:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

nh