PDA

View Full Version : Weird NCAA Tournement bracket scoring question

NLSoldier
03-16-2005, 09:27 PM
My roomate just brought me a bracket to fill out and told me we are using a strange scoring system that seems to strongly encourage picking upsets.

The first round the seed number of the team you pick (if they win) is multiplied by 1. The second round its multiplied by 2, the third round by 4, fourth round by 8, semis by 16, and 32 for champoinship.

So for example, if you pick a 2 seed to win it all and they do win it, you get 64 for the championship game alone.

My friend and I are trying to figure out the optimal strategy for this type of system. We are thinking it probably correct to put no number 1 seeds in the final 4, because for example, picking 1 four seed is as good as correctly picking all the number ones to make it.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

wonderwes
03-16-2005, 09:52 PM
I wanted to do a system like that but that way to much math. Louisville could go way far as a #4 seed. That might be a good pick. Also look for Ok. St to do well, and who knows how far Syracuse will go.

I just stood with a generic scoring system. It might not be the best, but I found it was consistent to make people chose wisely their bracket. Order by round wins: 2pts, 4, 6, 8, 11, 15.

Patrick del Poker Grande
03-16-2005, 09:55 PM
This system is great - it's how my office pool works. Syracuse was awesome for me a couple years ago when they went all the way. I got a few other key upsets too, but they pretty much won the pool for me. I think you're doing the right thing by not picking the number 1s, but don't go too far with this kind of thinking - you still have to get the picks right. It's basically all about who rides the right upset/shocker team.

bugstud
03-16-2005, 10:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My roomate just brought me a bracket to fill out and told me we are using a strange scoring system that seems to strongly encourage picking upsets.

The first round the seed number of the team you pick (if they win) is multiplied by 1. The second round its multiplied by 2, the third round by 4, fourth round by 8, semis by 16, and 32 for champoinship.

So for example, if you pick a 2 seed to win it all and they do win it, you get 64 for the championship game alone.

My friend and I are trying to figure out the optimal strategy for this type of system. We are thinking it probably correct to put no number 1 seeds in the final 4, because for example, picking 1 four seed is as good as correctly picking all the number ones to make it.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

[/ QUOTE ]

I prefer the difference in seed value system. A 12 beating a 5 gets a 7x multiplier, etc. Kinda huge is if say a 10 gets deep in the tourney, yet rewards someone picking a 4 deep somewhat more appropiately.

Dead
03-16-2005, 10:58 PM
I won $100 when I picked my Final Four and championship game teams right in 2003.