PDA

View Full Version : Home tourney add-on, good idea?

AndrewB
03-16-2005, 07:52 PM
I've got a home game sit n go tourney coming up this weekend with a add-on option. The tourney format is $10 to get t1500 with the option to add-on t1500 more for $12 any time the stack drops below t1500.

I haven't played in any games like this, and my first instinct is to post the blinds during the first orbit, fold anything, and then add-on.

The payout is the standard 50/30/20 for the top 3 spots, and with 10 expected players I would need to finish 2nd to end up winning anything.

This is a not a serious poker crowd, so there will be lots of gambooling. Should I add-on right away or wait until my stack dwindles?

wiggs73
03-16-2005, 07:55 PM
I usually get the add-on as soon as the tourney begins. I see no reason not to in your case. Good luck in the tourney.

johnny005
03-16-2005, 08:01 PM
I would see what everyone else is doing, if they are all adding on you should as well, If not then wait and see how the first few hands go, you could win a few early and save yourself some money

pokerlaw
03-16-2005, 08:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

The payout is the standard 50/30/20 for the top 3 spots, and with 10 expected players I would need to finish 2nd to end up winning anything.

This is a not a serious poker crowd, so there will be lots of gambooling.

[/ QUOTE ]

why do you say that you have to win second to win anything? If your friends are like mine - who are good, but as the alcohol flows and the jokes fly, the loose play increases - you could see someone do 3-5 rebuys easy. I would definetly add on, unless noone else is and you feel comfortable with your t1500 stack.

* Legal Disclaimer * If you are some 12 year old kid playing with lunch money ($10 buy in?), this conversation never took place. Now go do yor homework!

AndrewB
03-16-2005, 08:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]

why do you say that you have to win second to win anything? If your friends are like mine - who are good, but as the alcohol flows and the jokes fly, the loose play increases - you could see someone do 3-5 rebuys easy. I would definetly add on, unless noone else is and you feel comfortable with your t1500 stack.

* Legal Disclaimer * If you are some 12 year old kid playing with lunch money ($10 buy in?), this conversation never took place. Now go do yor homework!

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, baby steps! I've played with this group of players before. We started at .05/.10 limit, moved to $5 sit n gos, and this is the first "big game".

The Add-on/rebuy is capped at 1 for now. There is one other player who I know will take it but I expect most people not to. Half of the table are 6th year college "seniors".

Degen
03-16-2005, 08:23 PM
we prefer to play a bunch of quick ones instead of one or two marathons

Make the blinds 25/50 and give everybody 1000 chips...double them when somebody busts, and no add-ons or rebuys...that'll be quick and fun.

Degen

dfscott
03-16-2005, 08:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If your friends are like mine - who are good, but as the alcohol flows and the jokes fly, the loose play increases - you could see someone do 3-5 rebuys easy. I would definetly add on, unless noone else is and you feel comfortable with your t1500 stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds like my crew, except that ours are even wilder -- $10/1000 chip buy-in, infinite $10/1000 chip rebuys during the first hour. At the end of the first hour, a one-time $5/500 chip rebuy is allowed.

Needless to say, the first hour is pretty wild...