PDA

View Full Version : Moved to the $55s yesterday....

Mr_J
03-16-2005, 07:50 PM
I'm a 5tabler, but since it's said that $55s play differently, should I step down to 1 or 2 tables and record/post any hand I'm not 100% sure of??? Or should I keep 5tabling and just look for experience to slowly improve my play? I'm thinking 2 tabling and constantly questioning my plays is the better option...

curtains
03-16-2005, 07:51 PM
Yes I would move down in tables for at least a week or two. This really won't kill you, and just makes sense when you move to a new level, so you can really focus.

Bigwig
03-16-2005, 07:52 PM
Eh, they play slightly differently, but not too much so. You've definitely got one less moron or two, but there is a lot of bad play going on. Just cut the difference and 3 table to start.

Degen
03-16-2005, 08:39 PM
i've been trying to make this jump for two months...and every time i pop into four tables (the same number I play in 33's) i end up losing money or winning $30...bust, bust, bust, 1st

my sample size is so low you can't even call it insignificant yet but it sure pounds away at my psyche...especially when (as has happened at least twice) i immediately have a big score in a set of 33's...

i've found the players are much more agressive and last a lot longer than the 33's...

any more insight people can provide on the difference between the two i'd love to hear it
...my game is 95% blind steals late...

is this effective at the 55's? what adjustments are necessary?

thanks

Degen

iMsoLucky0
03-16-2005, 10:02 PM
I think that the biggest jump on party is from the 33 to 55 level. The main reason for this is that those extra 200 chips REALLY make a difference in the tournament.

If I were you Mr J, I would drop down to probably 2 tables, and concentrate on them very hard. Posting hand histories is also a good idea, but you should definitely search the forum for posts on this topic (there are a bunch).

Mr_J
03-16-2005, 10:05 PM
"but you should definitely search the forum for posts on this topic (there are a bunch)"

Done that several times /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

"If I were you Mr J, I would drop down to probably 2 tables, and concentrate on them very hard. Posting hand histories is also a good idea"

Yep that's what I decided. 1 table was too slow /images/graemlins/wink.gif

iMsoLucky0
03-16-2005, 10:08 PM
Oh, and I'm not sure how you normally play SNGs, but I would say that you can probably tighten up considerably in the first few levels. You aren't as pressured to start gaining chips near as early with 1k chips as opposed to 800. You can wait a little more before you have to either make a hand or start stealing.

FishBurger
03-17-2005, 12:42 AM
I'm currently making a slow transition from the $22s to the $33s. I feel most comfortable 3-tabling, so I play two $22s and 1 $33. However, it might be harder to mix the $33s with the $55s given that you start with 1000 chips in the $55s.

Chris Daddy Cool
03-17-2005, 12:47 AM
honestly, sng's move so slow i don't think it'd be too hard to keep up with the reads and action, but if you have to ask that probably means you're not all that comfortable at the 55 level yet and playing less tables would probably help out some.

for me i made the jump from 109's and 215's relatively easily keeping the same amount of tables without any real slowdown in results.

but one of hte reasons you'd want to playe fewer tables because there's a bigger adjustment in this jump because of the chip structure. 55's is the beginning of the 1000 chip stacks and it creates more postflop situations and tighter play IMO.

Mr_J
03-17-2005, 01:57 AM
"too hard to keep up with the reads and action,"

This isn't a problem.

The reason for slowing down (for me) is (like you said) to adjust to an extra 2k chips and how it changes the game.

The impression I'm getting from the forum is to play tighter early on than at the $33s, but maybe be more aggressive when it's go time?

raptor517
03-17-2005, 04:30 AM
i think u shuld make the jump to 55s playing 8 tables. thats the best way to learn. the hard way.

Mr_J
03-17-2005, 04:43 AM
"thats the best way to learn. the hard way"

That's kinda why I'm trying the $55s insteading of maximising ROI at the $33s /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Well so far I've played 18 $55s. A poor 4/18 ITM, but my 4th-5th-6th were 3/5/4 so could've easily been better and I've had some dreadful outdraws. I am sure I can beat these although it's probally not enough to make it worthwhile over the $33s. Assuming I could get a similiar $/hr, I don't mind the extra variance as I want experience with the 10k chip game and vs better players.

Still got some room before I'll wanna drop back down, so hopefully things will turn around so I can stay up here.

Got a few thoughts on how to adjust my play that I'll try out.

raptor517
03-17-2005, 05:06 AM
well, some advice i can offer jumping to a 1k stack from an 800 stack.. i would be more inclined to call a raise with a mid to low pair on level 1-2 with a 1k stack than an 800 stack. thats probably fairly obvious why.. other than that, the games are very similar, and i think you should do fine at them. good luck in making the change.

Bigwig
03-17-2005, 01:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
my game is 95% blind steals late...

is this effective at the 55's? what adjustments are necessary?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it's still very effective. However, you need to make two other small adjustments at $55.

You are correct that the players are more aggressive, however, they are also tighter. This fact, coupled with the slightly larger starting stack, means you should open up your game from the previous tight level shown at the $33's in early levels.

When I say 'open up,' don't get crazy. I'm talking slight adjustment upward. But, I think that adjustment is necessary, lest you end up folding your first 30 hands of the tournament.

Degen
03-17-2005, 02:44 PM
holla?

kevstreet
03-17-2005, 03:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
holla?

[/ QUOTE ]

Really. What's going on Raptor? I miss "holla!" It's your signature, without it, you're just another boring successful 8 table, $50 SnG player.

Mr_J
03-17-2005, 06:33 PM
Just a case of getting outdrawn more than I should, and outdrawing less than I should. Ah well. Back to the $33s for a few days.

Well I'm actually on my last $55 buyin, so maybe I place here...

Scuba Chuck
03-17-2005, 06:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Assuming I could get a similiar $/hr, I don't mind the extra variance as I want experience with the 10k chip game and vs better players.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're making the same $/hr, then you're actually making more due to your rakeback. To me, playing the $55s would mean an extra $220 a month.

TheUsher
03-17-2005, 09:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Assuming I could get a similiar $/hr, I don't mind the extra variance as I want experience with the 10k chip game and vs better players.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're making the same $/hr, then you're actually making more due to your rakeback. To me, playing the $55s would mean an extra $220 a month.

[/ QUOTE ]

Speaking of rakeback, anyone here an affiliate willing to sign me up? I'll probably start 8tabling soon so I need an account on Empire or something.