PDA

View Full Version : How would you play this?

bigredlemon
03-16-2005, 06:40 PM
Hero t2600 9/images/graemlins/club.gif Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif
Villain t5400

Villain is extremly tight passive, and miraculously made it to the final table. Since he's been in the final two however, he has become very loose aggressive, and has liberally reraised all in PF and on the flop several times. Not sure if this was due to changing gears or if it's just big hands. NO show downs so I'm not sure if he had anything. I've given him the benefit of the doubt and folded each time.

Blinds: 150/300

Villain completes, Hero checks.

Flop: 6/images/graemlins/club.gif 7/images/graemlins/club.gif 8/images/graemlins/club.gif

A very big flop for me. Two overcards, a flush draw, and a straight draw. I'm a huge favourite against everything except to one or more bigger clubs, to which I am a huge underdog. From the way he's been playing, I don't think I can keep folding, so I can't walk away from this hand.

If I push all in, only a much better hand will call. Otherwise, I'd win just the blinds and still unsure what to make of his sudden surge of aggression. I decided to minraise because it invites a hand I'm a favourite to to either call (fine) or raise me hoping to steal (i'll reraise all in.) If I win this, I'm a big favourite to win the tournament and I'll know whether he's changing gears or just betting big hands. If I lose, I'm out a respectable second.

Hero bets t300 (min), Villain raises all in. Hero calls.

Hows my minbet? Calling his all in raise?

curtains
03-16-2005, 06:46 PM
I would move allin preflop here everytime.

bigredlemon
03-17-2005, 01:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I would move allin preflop here everytime.

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you know why? Just a habit, or is there some logical reason for doing it?

Mr_J
03-17-2005, 02:13 AM
"or is there some logical reason for doing it?"

Aggression HU. You are in the SB and this hand better than any 2 /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Sorry you are in BB. Unless you have been punishing all of his previous completions there is no reason not to do it again. I push that flop.

lastchance
03-17-2005, 02:19 AM
I push this PF most of the time.

parttimepro
03-17-2005, 02:19 AM
I assume BB is first to act after the flop?

What would you have done if he had flat called your small bet, the turn was a brick, and he pushed? If you bet bigger on the flop, you can avoid a tough laydown on the turn.

If you checkraise this, you get more value out of worse hands (because they'll bluff) and better folding equity against better hands (because AJ is afraid you made a pair). If they check behind, you get a free card. Win/win/win, as I see it.

curtains
03-17-2005, 02:32 AM
You are shortstacked, you need the 450 chips, and you have a decent hand. Also your opponent will often fold hands that beat Q9o here.