PDA

View Full Version : Quick little preflop ditty

sfer
03-16-2005, 06:27 PM
5 handed 20/40 at the Mirage. UTG folds, GoT raises. He's raised about 9 out of the last 12 hands and won all but two--one was checked down postflop (he tabled KJo unimproved) and the other he folded somewhere. In true Vegas fashion there has been much grumbling since GoT is young and Asian. Button, a new woman, 3-bets. I have 77 in the SB and 4-bet. Yeah?

J.R.
03-16-2005, 06:57 PM
nay. vegas folks don't 3-bet light, and she is unkonwn, so give her a weak tight nod. plus you're out of position, got probably aren't going to fold GOT very often since I assume he recognizes what you could be up to, so you have a huge pot, 2 opponents (at least one of whom is very good), and mad overcards in your best case scenario.

but 4 betting is fun, so i dunno know..

sfer
03-22-2005, 11:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
nay. vegas folks don't 3-bet light, and she is unkonwn, so give her a weak tight nod. plus you're out of position, got probably aren't going to fold GOT very often since I assume he recognizes what you could be up to, so you have a huge pot, 2 opponents (at least one of whom is very good), and mad overcards in your best case scenario.

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't think that the button in the hand makes GoT more inclined to fold any hand not AK or a pair? And folding an overcard or two gives me a pretty sizable jump in equity, not to mention the chances that he might fold a pair like 99/TT if an overcard flops.

arkady
03-22-2005, 01:17 PM
I am going to have to disagree against my buddy JR here, I like the 4-bet. Not because button is raising light, probably not, but because GoT is? Maybe the lady knows what you Asians are up to at the poker table? Yay on the 4.

Rubeskies
03-22-2005, 01:19 PM
If you can find some way to show that 77 down you're gonna get a lot more action on your preflop caps and other preflop raises.

spider
03-22-2005, 01:38 PM
What about a cold-call, mainly to flop a set at 7-2, but also intending to CR a reasonably raggedy flop?

J.R.
03-22-2005, 01:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
button in the hand makes GoT more inclined to fold any hand not AK or a pair?

[/ QUOTE ]

well yes, but not so much that he will fold everything but AK or a pair. Its 5 handed! I imagine he recognizes you have the ability to do just what you did- to try to levarage him out of the pot to get is headsup with the presumed weak-tight local. You didn't give a read, so I'll certainly defer if you think GOT folds most hands.

I agree that if he folds it because largely out of respect to the 3-bettor and thus implied repsect for your cap out of the sb, but its 5 handed and the lady is unknown and GOT is probably aware of his image and the effect that has on his opponent's 3-betting standards. I also can't imagine GOT puts you ona monster here, sb or not, simply because its 5 handed and you are an agressive 2+2er.

[ QUOTE ]
not to mention the chances that he might fold a pair like 99/TT if an overcard flops.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is very possible if you get it headsup with the lady and shi is a bit too weak, but think that if GOT calls preflop with TT/99 he be won't be folding for a sb on a single broadway overcard flop, sans maybe an A.

[ QUOTE ]
And folding an overcard or two gives me a pretty sizable jump in equity

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup Yup, but I originally thought you "probably aren't going to fold GOT very often since I assume he recognizes what you could be up to," and still think that is the case, but you were there and I've never really played with him before.