PDA

View Full Version : Almost burgled last night.

partygirluk
03-16-2005, 02:20 PM
Our next door neighbours were burgled whilst in their home last night. Has Jewellery and wallet taken. The culprits gained access via part of our roof, which is flat. It figures that they tried to gain access to our house first, but my parents are security conscious and got grills installed when we moved in.

The neigbour came round today, and he was pretty rattled. He is an oldish frailish man who suffers from Parkinsons disease. He can be a bit of a nuisance, but he has a really good heart, as does his wife. Part of me wishes that they havd come in my house because

i) I am younger and healthier
ii) I was upstairs playing poker in my room therefore,
iii) 1 year ago I brought some pepper spray back from Israel. I never take it out with me (it is illegal over here), but I keep it in my room in case I am ever faced with an intruder. I also have a cricket bat. I would have loved to have handed out some justice to these scum.

I have always feared being burgled. When I was 10 or so some guy was prowling around in our garden late at night. We lived in a bungalow then. My brother spotted him walking pass his window , and raised the alert. He was walking in the direction of my room, and my window was open. I remember hiding under my blanket, seems funny now, but was scary at the time.

Some people tried to use my neighbours credit card last night in a shopping centre, but they had no luck as they did not know the pin number. I hope they were caught on CCTV, but in reality they will never face justice.

Matty
03-16-2005, 02:23 PM
Guns I can understand- but how can you make pepper spray illegal?

jakethebake
03-16-2005, 02:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i) I am younger and healthier

[/ QUOTE ]
Except for your IBS.

[ QUOTE ]
When I was 10 or so some guy was prowling around in our garden late at night.

[/ QUOTE ]
Similar thing when I was around 10. I got the shotgun though.

Pepper spray illegal? Good lord... /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

daveymck
03-16-2005, 02:44 PM
If you had sprayed him with the spray and hit him with the bat the chances are you would be up in court yourself.

Hit him just with the bat and probably ok.

TStoneMBD
03-16-2005, 02:51 PM
during that huge tristate powerouttage a year ago, i was at my fathers house, sitting in the pitch dark because i didnt know where i could find candles or flash lights. i am pretty certain that a burglar was trying to get into the house, because there were flashlights brushing threw the trees outside my window, and there were voices coming from the downstars basement. pretty scary. they didnt get into the house though, which was good.

Asufiji2004
03-16-2005, 02:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Whilst

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this a Brit thing? I find it annoying for some reason.

xadrez
03-16-2005, 03:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
during that huge tristate powerouttage a year ago, i was at my fathers house, sitting in the pitch dark because i didnt know where i could find candles or flash lights. i am pretty certain that a burglar was trying to get into the house, because there were flashlights brushing threw the trees outside my window, and there were voices coming from the downstars basement. pretty scary. they didnt get into the house though, which was good.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had just moved into a "up and coming" neighborhood in NYC during this outage, and I was living by myself at the time and was admittadely a little weary of burglary, which is probably stupid but whatever.

I walked home from work and found my super (a santeria witch doctor) his brother (a self described ex-con) and the guy who lived above me hanging outside the apartment building. I hung out with them drinking beers until it got dark, and when we all decided it was time to head in. On the way into the apt., my super tells us "oh, dont anybody worry about burglars, because Im going to be sitting inside the front door with my glock, which is loaded with armor piercing bullets"

Needless to say, my worries abated.

jakethebake
03-16-2005, 03:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Im going to be sitting inside the front door with my glock, which is loaded with armor piercing bullets"

[/ QUOTE ]

For all the burglars wearing body armor? Good to know one of those might be coming through your wall some night.

Anyway I hope you told him not to bother because you didn't have anything worth stealing anyway.

Patrick del Poker Grande
03-16-2005, 03:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
my super (a santeria witch doctor) his brother (a self described ex-con)

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Im going to be sitting inside the front door with my glock, which is loaded with armor piercing bullets

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

jakethebake
03-16-2005, 03:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
my super (a santeria witch doctor) his brother (a self described ex-con)

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Im going to be sitting inside the front door with my glock, which is loaded with armor piercing bullets

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
drinking beers until it got dark

[/ QUOTE ]

Patrick del Poker Grande
03-16-2005, 03:36 PM
Right.

bholdr
03-16-2005, 03:50 PM
more effective than pepper spray. i had a freind that got attacked in his home by a couple of wanna-bes- he shot em with the spray and then clubbed one with the tank before they got away. that stuff's (halon) effectivly blinding and chokes you up, causing a coughing fit, it sticks to your face (i have been shot with one too, as a bad joke), fuks you up, man- and after gassing 'em, you've got a heavy steel cylinder.

I keep one under my desk, and when i find transients shooting smack in the alcove outside my apartment, just the threat of the fire extinguisher clears 'em out real quick.

another freind of mine has the best of both worlds- an extinguisher type tank filled with uber-powerful pepper spray (it's for grizzlies- /images/graemlins/ooo.gif)

jakethebake
03-16-2005, 03:55 PM
Just fill a squirt gun with ammonia.

bholdr
03-16-2005, 03:59 PM
heh. and another one with bleach?

i'm not intrested in using aything that could land me in jail. i could say 'i just grabbed the extinguisher'- i couldn't say - that supersoaker just happened to be filled with ammonia- i use it to clean my floors...

KidPokerX
03-16-2005, 04:21 PM
english? huh?

jakethebake
03-16-2005, 04:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]

i'm not intrested in using aything that could land me in jail. i could say 'i just grabbed the extinguisher'- i couldn't say - that supersoaker just happened to be filled with ammonia- i use it to clean my floors...

[/ QUOTE ]

why would u have to? are supersoakers or ammonia illegal?

Sponger15SB
03-16-2005, 04:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would just bust the ol lighter fluid in the squirt gun and then turn it into a flame thrower a la jean claude van damme in sudden death.

Oh and unless you count someone rummaging through my glove box because on my old car the window wouldn't roll up.....then I haven't been burglarized.

Hojglad
03-16-2005, 05:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

why would u have to? are supersoakers or ammonia illegal?

[/ QUOTE ]
Because it would be like PEEING on them!

sfer
03-16-2005, 06:06 PM
"To burgle" is a great verb. That is all.

daveymck
03-16-2005, 06:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Whilst

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Its the Queens english, but normally only would write it generally saying whilst in normal conversation would make you very posh in my book.

Patrick del Poker Grande
03-16-2005, 06:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Whilst

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Its the Queens english, but normally only would write it generally saying whilst in normal conversation would make you very posh in my book.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wait. Posh is bad, right?

partygirluk
03-16-2005, 07:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Whilst

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Neither bad nor good.

Patrick del Poker Grande
03-16-2005, 07:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Whilst

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Neither bad nor good.

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh.

wonderwes
03-16-2005, 07:30 PM
Thieves are some of the lowest scum among the planet. It looks like no matter where you go they exist. When my friend visited the Paris train station, he said the pick pocketers had it down to a science. I have luckily never had to deal with any, and I hope my streak continues.

I dont own a gun for my home, but I would certainly be freaked if someone was trying to get into my place.

partygirluk
03-16-2005, 07:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thieves are some of the lowest scum among the planet. It looks like no matter where you go they exist. When my friend visited the Paris train station, he said the pick pocketers had it down to a science. I have luckily never had to deal with any, and I hope my streak continues.

I dont own a gun for my home, but I would certainly be freaked if someone was trying to get into my place.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I am really non violent, have never been in a fight, and takes this to the extreme perhaps, but, if I found someone in my hosue I would flip. Not jsut because I am angry with them for trying to steal, but because

i) I don't know who they are
ii) They clearly have bad intentions
iii) We are not in a puclic area
iv) One wrong move could cost me my life
v) I don't want to give them the benefit of the doubt
vi) I think they forego some of their rights the momemnt they break into my property.

I wouldn't just kill them, but I'd make damn sure they were incapacitataed long enough to get them locked up and get the old bill in.

tbach24
03-16-2005, 07:52 PM
Intruders to my house has always been my biggest fear. When I was 11-12 I used to lock myself in the bathroom with a phone and a knife whenever left home alone because I was so terrified.

tbach24
03-16-2005, 07:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Whilst

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Neither bad nor good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would being posh make you a git? My dad's a Briton and uses the word "posh" at times and I'm not quite sure what it means. Also, the word ballox (sp?), I have no idea what that means. My dad is also wicked cautious about wallets, etc. because he grew up in London and maintains that the pickpocketers there are brutal.

Patrick del Poker Grande
03-16-2005, 08:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
get the old bill in.

[/ QUOTE ]
WTF does this mean?

partygirluk
03-16-2005, 08:05 PM
Posh is so difficult to translate. The Queen is posh, but Bill Gates is not. Most of the aristocracy are posh. My mum is wannabe posh, but is really a snob. Have you ever seen "Keeping up Appearance"? Hyacinth Bouquet is wannabe posh in that.

Bollocks means testicles. The dogs bollocks means excellent.

So "That curry was bollocks" means "That curry tasted very bad", but "That curry was the dog's bollocks" means "That curry tasted very good".

partygirluk
03-16-2005, 08:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
get the old bill in.

[/ QUOTE ]
WTF does this mean?

[/ QUOTE ]

Coppers.

Patrick del Poker Grande
03-16-2005, 08:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Bollocks means testicles. The dogs bollocks means excellent.

So "That curry was bollocks" means "That curry tasted very bad", but "That curry was the dog's bollocks" means "That curry tasted very good".

[/ QUOTE ]
Almost a bizarro form of tits... tits are very good, but a bag of tits means nothing/bad/you got the shaft.

Patrick del Poker Grande
03-16-2005, 08:08 PM
Alright, now what's a git?

partygirluk
03-16-2005, 08:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nasty person (but not evil nasty), often quite old.

Patrick del Poker Grande
03-16-2005, 08:16 PM
Cheers!

jakethebake
03-16-2005, 09:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Its the Queens english

[/ QUOTE ]

And only queens should talk like this.

wacki
03-16-2005, 10:45 PM
If guns are out of the question, I highly suggest you go to

www.coldsteel.com (http://www.coldsteel.com) and get one of the following.

This is a fun one to play with:
http://www.coldsteel.com/35ltc.html

This will cut a an arm or a leg off like butter:
http://www.coldsteel.com/88pb.html

These are only $8: (Not the best quality but great for the price)
http://www.coldsteel.com/machetes.html

Get the DVD for free here:

http://order.store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/wg-request-catalog?csstoreonline

They cut cars and up with their swords/knives.

Ginsu is crap compared to this stuff.

daveymck
03-17-2005, 05:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Its the Queens english

[/ QUOTE ]

And only queens should talk like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

And only the Queen and posh and wannabe posh people would say whilst in normal conversation. I currently work in Oxford and suspect that there are a lot more people here who would say "Whilst" than from where I live back up north.

Thing is that the UK has a huge broad difference in dialaect and slang I'm from the North East England so will talk differently and have different slang words for stuff then PArtygirl who is a soft cockney southerner.

daveymck
03-17-2005, 05:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nasty person (but not evil nasty), often quite old.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not even always nasty, I would call someone a tight git for example if they wont part with some cash. A friend of mine would call me a git when I took the mick out of her.

Found this explanation

"The original meaning of the word git means ~ worthless person ~ However......It is more commonly used today as a "term of endearment" well... of sorts!!! Its used to describe the "wind up merchant" the person who would deliberately parks in someone else's space just for a laugh cos you just know its gonna annoy the hell out of them them etc. etc. so if a little wind up is bestowed upon us we just laugh and call the person a git"