PDA

View Full Version : POLL: Where should 2/4 hands be posted?

btspider
03-16-2005, 01:59 PM
I want to poll this forum and get a feel for this. I think to ease some of the volume in SS, we should enlist the help of the micro forum. The micro forum can handle a higher volume of posts because most of the posts are routine. It doesn't matter as much if a post dies after 4 hours and 4-5 responses.

So what do you guys think about this proposal:

We should begin to encourage 'routine' 2/4 hands to be posted in the micro limit forum. These 'routine' hands, might be more interesting for the micro limit dooders than the average hand there, so they will benefit. SS will also benefit by freeing up some real estate for the more interesting hands.

I know people often want feedback from the SS crowd when they post here, but the focus is to try to define the forums more in terms of beginner/intermediate than by the stakes.

What qualifies as routine is up for debate.. maybe 20% - 30% of all 2/4 hands would qualify (e.g. more on the mundane side (PF & flop) than river value betting, etc).

Enforcement would be pretty informal (as the 2/4 = SS standard is right now) and would take some time to be adopted by the community. Even if its not adopted by the whole.. if its adopted by enough people it may ease the SS proliferation somewhat.

Thoughts?

JerseyTom
03-16-2005, 02:02 PM
Given that 2/4 Party seems to play looser than Party 1/2 full, I'd say most of those hands probably qualify for micro.

I like your location, bt.

Tom

chief444
03-16-2005, 02:06 PM
Does that mean I have to start playing more 3/6 or higher to keep posting here? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

What about if any 4/8 or less B&M hands are posted there since they play way closer to .5/1 than 2/4 online?

I don't post many hands anyway so I really don't care. I don't see it changing. And I doubt if anyone posts hands they realize are mundane.

edit...Also, I haven't really seen any "significant change" between 2/4 and 3/6 on party.

Isura
03-16-2005, 02:08 PM
I like the idea. A problem I have with micro at the moment is that there is an uneven proportion of .5/1 to 1/2 hands (probably 80/20). I think a lot of 1/2 players could benefit from 2/4 hands, so both forums seem to gain.

On a slightly unrelated note, what is the consensus about posting 1/2 6 max hands? There's a case for posting in micro and SS, as I think 1/2 6 max is really nothing like 5/10 6 max and above, so the advice would seem closer to SSHE type advice. Any thoughts on this?

btspider
03-16-2005, 02:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I like the idea. A problem I have with micro at the moment is that there is an uneven proportion of .5/1 to 1/2 hands (probably 80/20). I think a lot of 1/2 players could benefit from 2/4 hands, so both forums seem to gain.

On a slightly unrelated note, what is the consensus about posting 1/2 6 max hands? There's a case for posting in micro and SS, as I think 1/2 6 max is really nothing like 5/10 6 max and above, so the advice would seem closer to SSHE type advice. Any thoughts on this?

[/ QUOTE ]

HUSH (heads-up & short handed) forum dude.

QTip
03-16-2005, 02:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't see it changing

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't mean to be a joykill; however, I think these posts have to be initiated by someone who can effect change. About 4 or 5 weeks ago, confuzzed started a post about improving the forum. I thought some decent ideas were generated, by nothing was done because there wasn't a policy decision maker involved.

However spider, I noticed that your post was the microlimit guideline, so perhaps you are a policy decision maker...are you?

[ QUOTE ]
And I doubt if anyone posts hands they realize are mundane.

[/ QUOTE ]

btspider
03-16-2005, 02:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Does that mean I have to start playing more 3/6 or higher to keep posting here? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

What about if any 4/8 or less B&M hands are posted there since they play way closer to .5/1 than 2/4 online?

I don't post many hands anyway so I really don't care. I don't see it changing. And I doubt if anyone posts hands they realize are mundane.

edit...Also, I haven't really seen any "significant change" between 2/4 and 3/6 on party.

[/ QUOTE ]

right.. i think if anything changed, it would really boil down to the people rather than the hands. the SS regulars are posting for the SS crowd most of the time.. so nothing would change for them.

so, it might just involve encouraging more inexperienced 2/4 players (and B&M beginners up to 4/8) to post in the micro limit forum instead. currently there is a perception in the micro limit forum that once you move up to 2/4, you should post in SS.. even though they may be asking basic questions. maybe this is what needs to change.

mundane is probably a bad word, but hands where you think there is probably a standard.. got JTs on the button after a bunch of limpers but can't remember if its a raise? post that in the micros.. the sort of stuff regulars wouldn't be posting really... which is why this may be too difficult to educate the newer posters into doing.

--

[ QUOTE ]
However spider, I noticed that your post was the microlimit guideline, so perhaps you are a policy decision maker...are you?

[/ QUOTE ]

nah, i'm just a recongized name among the micro forum guys and i could probably recommend that they stick around in the micro forum for the early goings of their 2/4 career. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

easypete
03-16-2005, 02:21 PM
I've always felt that 2/4 was a little easier than .5/1. At 3/6, there is a difference in the game.

chief444
03-16-2005, 02:22 PM
I'm not saying it's a bad idea BTW, bt. Just that, as you point out, it's more about people and hard to draw that line. Nobody thinks they're bad at poker. And I think the majority have difficulty recognizing their own limitations. I'm sure I'm no exception.

QTip
03-16-2005, 02:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
nah, i'm just a recongized name among the micro forum guys and i could probably recommend that they stick around in the micro forum for the early goings of their 2/4 career

[/ QUOTE ]

So, how did your post get to be the tacked post in microlimits? Had to have some connections...

PokerBob
03-16-2005, 02:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Nobody thinks they're bad at poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

PBob is bad at poker. Very bad.

meep_42
03-16-2005, 02:50 PM
I can see experienced members of the community being able to make the distinction (not me, however, i'm still hazy on what constitues a typical hand and an interesting one sometimes) between what goes where -- but I think it'll be more likely to engender replies like, "this goes in micros."

-d

btspider
03-16-2005, 02:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I can see experienced members of the community being able to make the distinction (not me, however, i'm still hazy on what constitues a typical hand and an interesting one sometimes) between what goes where -- but I think it'll be more likely to engender replies like, "this goes in micros."

-d

[/ QUOTE ]

right, perhaps it must be an effort from the micro guys to try to play 10K hands at 2/4 before posting in SS.. or something along those lines. of course, the guys who work their way up through the micro limits for a few months generally aren't too bad (post content wise). it is probably more an issue of the people who start out at 2/4 online and have a million questions.

chief444
03-16-2005, 02:57 PM
I stand corrected! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

If were taking votes though for who stays in this forum and who gets demoted I vote for you to stay. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

meep_42
03-16-2005, 03:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
right, perhaps it must be an effort from the micro guys to try to play 10K hands at 2/4 before posting in SS.. or something along those lines. of course, the guys who work their way up through the micro limits for a few months generally aren't too bad (post content wise). it is probably more an issue of the people who start out at 2/4 online and have a million questions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you trying to spare my feelings? (Just finished first 10k at 2/4 this weekend. /images/graemlins/wink.gif )

-d

einbert
03-16-2005, 03:06 PM
I don't think having some 2/4 posts in micro and some in SS is a good idea at all.

droolie
03-16-2005, 03:50 PM
I think they should all go to micros. By making "routine" 2/4 posts go to micros you will be starting a new form of insults, a la "This thread belongs in micros!" Do you see why? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

zuluking
03-16-2005, 04:26 PM
I don't post alot of hands as it is, but when I do post a 2/4 hand, it goes in micro most of the time. Having said that, micro these days is full of $hit. There are guys posting hand after hand after hand. Some posts only get 45 views and 3 responses before it falls off page one. I was discussing this with a well established 2+2er the other day and he's of the same opinion. He doesn't even bother reading micro anymore. I'm close to that point myself.

frank_iii
03-16-2005, 04:34 PM
zuluking hit the nail on the head.

GrunchCan
03-16-2005, 04:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't post alot of hands as it is, but when I do post a 2/4 hand, it goes in micro most of the time. Having said that, micro these days is full of $hit. There are guys posting hand after hand after hand. Some posts only get 45 views and 3 responses before it falls off page one. I was discussing this with a well established 2+2er the other day and he's of the same opinion. He doesn't even bother reading micro anymore. I'm close to that point myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that the noise is very high in micros, but I'm not ready to abandon it. I've drawn a lot of knowledge out of that forum. I feel that I owe it to the forum to give some back.

KaiShin
03-16-2005, 04:48 PM
While I'm not pretending to have been here long (cause I haven't), I think your assessment of the micro forum is a little unfair. The newbies have to start somewhere, and micro is the obvious place for them to start posting and learning. That results in a lot of mundane hands that have fairly obvious answers, and aren't really subject to a lot of debate, hence a low number of replies. I and many others try to reply to as many threads as we can while encouraging new people to do the same, but I don't think the high thread turnover rates means an overall decline in the forum quality, just a lot of newcomers trying to get their feet wet.

Anyway I post mostly in the micro because that's what I play. I just lurk in the others in my spare time /images/graemlins/smile.gif

AngryCola
03-16-2005, 04:52 PM
You got it right, zulu.

Let the 2/4 hands stay in this forum.

DMBFan23
03-16-2005, 04:54 PM
I think the hand content posts are the same roughly, what we're missing are the occasional gems by Ed Miller, Clark, Nate (his Too Tight post was in general so I'm omitting it here), The Dude, and others that are about a general concept and are very thought provoking, or show a new and interesing approach to a hand. You know, the kind of post that everyone bookmarks and puts in threads later. that's the part I miss the most, it's fairly easy for me to discern a good hand post from a bad one.

but, this has little to do with 2/4 in micro or SS.

Garbonzo
03-16-2005, 04:59 PM
Seems odd that this is suggested to the 2-4 players when 5-10, 10-20, and 15-30 hands are posted in this forum somewhat regularly.

The majority of posters here post 3-6 and 2-4 hands, which I think by definition IS Small Stakes Poker. 5-10 hands, while posted, are not posted too often because the majority of 5-10 players play short handed and therefore post in HUSH.

So as I read it, your request comes off as a request to make this essentially a 3-6 forum, along with a forum for any veteran posters who prefer to make their truly mid stakes post here instead of Mid High stakes....which is understandable. Correct me where I am wrong please Spider.

No offense ment to CDC and Sthief et al who do routinely post higher stakes hands, it is clear that both your hand discussions and responses add to the quality of this forum. This goes without saying, but I said it anyway.

B Dids
03-16-2005, 05:41 PM
This thread sucks.