PDA

View Full Version : drink/date etiquette

schwza
03-16-2005, 01:05 PM
i'm meeting a girl for a drink today after work. say i get there before her. the normal move is to order a drink for myself, right? but then we'll be out of sync in our drinking, which i feel like is kinda weird if you're having drinks with someone, especially if you want to pay for said drinks in a low-key way.

Patrick del Poker Grande
03-16-2005, 01:08 PM
Two options, the key to either of them is not being so damned paranoid and uptight about it:

a) Chug your drink when she gets there and order another with her - the downside to this one is obvious.

b) Tab it and just pay for them all at the end instead of one by one.

You're lame if you're sitting there for 10 minutes with nothing but a stupid grin on your face before she gets there.

jakethebake
03-16-2005, 01:08 PM
You're gonna be out of synch with her pretty quick anyway unless you drink like a girl.

Patrick del Poker Grande
03-16-2005, 01:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You're gonna be out of synch with her pretty quick anyway unless you drink like a girl.

[/ QUOTE ]

meep_42
03-16-2005, 01:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Masterful.

-d

jakethebake
03-16-2005, 01:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Tab it and just pay for them all at the end instead of one by one.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
You're lame if you're sitting there for 10 minutes with nothing but a stupid grin on your face before she gets there.

[/ QUOTE ]

astroglide
03-16-2005, 01:10 PM
unless she's a hosebeast it should take more drinks to do you in, so you can just slam it when she arrives and order another or sit there and chew on ice. how is this even a concern? this sounds like one nervous date.

Boris
03-16-2005, 01:25 PM
Grow a dick.

IndieMatty
03-16-2005, 01:28 PM
Start a tab, drink when you get there, put all of her drinks on your tab.

This is the only answer.

-Matt

DMBFan23
03-16-2005, 01:28 PM
that's the way to go, then you'll already have a tab open and you can casually order her something. plus it'll take a little bit of the edge off.

plus what everyone else said.

daveymck
03-16-2005, 01:32 PM
If I were in synch with my g/f I would have an empty glass in front of nearly all of the night.

Get your drink, when she arrives say what do you want to drink and move on from there. I really wonder about some of these posts on here I am surprised half the posters can actually get out of bed and dressed without having to ask advice on here on which arm should I put through first etc.

Patrick del Poker Grande
03-16-2005, 01:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I really wonder about some of these posts on here I am surprised half the posters can actually get out of bed and dressed without having to ask advice on here on which arm should I put through first etc.

[/ QUOTE ]
My thoughts exactly. To most of these guys, I just want to yell at them - JUST DO IT!.

schwza
03-16-2005, 01:57 PM
some of you fuckers need to chill out.

[ QUOTE ]
Start a tab, drink when you get there, put all of her drinks on your tab.

This is the only answer.

-Matt

[/ QUOTE ]

that's all i was looking for.

jakethebake
03-16-2005, 02:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
some of you fuckers need to chill out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually you're the one that seems a little uptight. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

siccjay
03-16-2005, 05:34 PM
LMAO @ everyone saying put all of her drinks on your tab. Suckers.

The correct advise is do whatever the hell you would do normally. Don't worry about should I do this, should I do that. Just go in there and get a damn drink. You already aren't being yourself by asking people what you should do, this is a key no-no.

Patrick del Poker Grande
03-16-2005, 05:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
He said he wants to pay for her drinks, jackass.

pshreck
03-16-2005, 05:36 PM
On a side note, how stupid it is for a bar to not allow you to have a tab for the night.

I was in a bar last week (I had been there before, but never started a tab). I ordered a pint and said start a tab please. The bartender says we dont do that hear. I say you dont do what? (trying to imply I think hes an idiot). He just says you have to pay for each order. So there I am, ordering a beer, and signing a receipt every freaking time. Retarded.

jakethebake
03-16-2005, 05:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Leave him alone. He's from Kentucky. When he buys a girl a drink, he just hands her the jug.

Patrick del Poker Grande
03-16-2005, 05:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
On a side note, how stupid it is for a bar to not allow you to have a tab for the night.

I was in a bar last week (I had been there before, but never started a tab). I ordered a pint and said start a tab please. The bartender says we dont do that hear. I say you dont do what? (trying to imply I think hes an idiot). He just says you have to pay for each order. So there I am, ordering a beer, and signing a receipt every freaking time. Retarded.

[/ QUOTE ]
Quite lame indeed.

Patrick del Poker Grande
03-16-2005, 05:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Leave him alone. He's from Kentucky. When he buys a girl a drink, he just hands her the jug.

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh. I missed that. Sorry, man.

turnipmonster
03-16-2005, 05:39 PM
that is lame, but extra lame in a bar that takes credit cards. in a place that only takes cash, I can understand it kind of.

--turnipmonster

pshreck
03-16-2005, 05:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
that is lame, but extra lame in a bar that takes credit cards. in a place that only takes cash, I can understand it kind of.

--turnipmonster

[/ QUOTE ]

Dont even get me started on bars that dont take credit cards.

Patrick del Poker Grande
03-16-2005, 05:41 PM
If they didn't let me start a tab and I was buying for more than just myself, I think I'd order everything by the drink and not by the round and make them dick with printing up receipts and paying whatever Visa charges every time, provided I was sitting at the bar, at least, and not at a table with a waitress.

siccjay
03-16-2005, 06:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Regardless to what he said it's bad advice, jackass.

pshreck
03-16-2005, 06:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Regardless to what he said it's bad advice, jackass.

[/ QUOTE ]

You take a girl out for drinks and dont pay for everything?

Are you serious?

siccjay
03-16-2005, 06:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Har harrr goot one. Makes a lot of sense.

This from the same guy that thinks every celebrity chick is ugly. Keep buying girls drinks and going home alone.

siccjay
03-16-2005, 06:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You take a girl out for drinks and dont pay for everything?

Are you serious?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. I used to pay for everything til I learned the error of my ways. There is plenty of info you can dig up if you want to take the time researching the subject.

I'm not going to argue on it anymore because I'm sure I'm vastly outnumbered.. I am right though.

pshreck
03-16-2005, 06:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I'm not going to argue on it anymore because I'm sure I'm vastly outnumbered on the subject.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then dont even post about it, because it is ridiculous. Cheapskate.

siccjay
03-16-2005, 06:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I'm not going to argue on it anymore because I'm sure I'm vastly outnumbered on the subject.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then dont even post about it, because it is ridiculous. Cheapskate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Alright I won't. Supplicator.

pshreck
03-16-2005, 06:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I'm not going to argue on it anymore

[/ QUOTE ]

Make this your motto.

siccjay
03-16-2005, 06:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Make this your motto.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are going to quote me, quote my whole sentence.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not going to argue on it anymore because I'm sure I'm vastly outnumbered.. I am right though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Patrick del Poker Grande
03-16-2005, 06:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Make this your motto.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are going to quote me, quote my whole sentence.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't use any of it, because only the part about you being outnumbered is true.

astroglide
03-16-2005, 06:53 PM
if i invite a girl out i'll pay. if i met a girl for the first time at a bar, i wouldn't.

siccjay
03-16-2005, 06:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
if i invite a girl out i'll pay. if i met a girl for the first time at a bar, i wouldn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, if you say "Hey can I take you out for a drink?" Then of course it's implied you are paying so you better pay. The thing is, you shouldn't say that.

J.A.Sucker
03-16-2005, 07:11 PM
Nicely done!

Patrick del Poker Grande
03-16-2005, 07:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, if you say "Hey can I take you out for a drink?" Then of course it's implied you are paying so you better pay. The thing is, you shouldn't say that.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd like to see your game in action. Something about the way you behave at least on here tells me it'd be a fun watch.

Francis Dollarhyde
03-16-2005, 07:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i'm meeting a girl for a drink today after work. say i get there before her. the normal move is to order a drink for myself, right? but then we'll be out of sync in our drinking, which i feel like is kinda weird if you're having drinks with someone, especially if you want to pay for said drinks in a low-key way.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're gonna drink your drink, say 'thank you for a lovely evening', go home, jerk off, and that's all you're gonna do.

jakethebake
03-16-2005, 09:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This from the same guy that thinks every celebrity chick is ugly.

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf? this is incorrect. far from the truth. in fact you must've missed my recent "list of five" thread. where did you get this anyway?

fimbulwinter
03-16-2005, 11:04 PM
The girls here say that it's akin to eating; namely that you need to wait for her first.

their suggestion:
order like a bar snack and a non-booze beverage and have the bartender have two non-gendered drinks (their suggestions are a long island and an apple, or vermouth for the classier crowd, martini) waiting for her when she gets there. you drink the one she doesn't.

oh yeah, and to the douchebags who think they're cool for saying "ignore the bitch" and "let her buy her own drinks", there's a reason some guys have it easy with women and some don't. maybe you'll figure it out someday.

fim

edit: oh yeah, the above should be on your open tab, obviously. if they don't do that (as they sometimes don't in really nice LA clubs) then hand the bartender the cost of 4 or 6 drinks plus $4 or $6 (tip) on top in cash; this assures that she'll have a good excuse to have at least two if she needs to masquerade like that.

Bluffoon
03-16-2005, 11:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Man you are CHEAP.

mcb
03-16-2005, 11:23 PM
Whatever you do, don't use a straw. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

siccjay
03-17-2005, 12:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Man you are CHEAP.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not about being cheap its about not being a simp and being like every other guy in the world. Buying girls things don't make them like you.

fimbulwinter
03-17-2005, 12:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Buying girls things don't make them like you.

[/ QUOTE ]

especially when there's nothing to like

fim

ps- the above was coined by one of the drunk females in my room right now, not me. rebuttals can be sent their weay.

siccjay
03-17-2005, 12:50 AM
No matter what she says if she met a guy and all he wanted to do was buy her things she would never want to date him. She would just string him along as a "friend" and let him keep buying her things. Girls just aren't "attracted" to supplicating guys.

There are exceptions. Mainly with girls who aren't very attractive or don't have self-esteem. Also, the better looking guy you are the more you can get away with being a sissy.

bernie
03-17-2005, 07:23 AM
Out of sync?

There is no low key way to pay for a drink. You either pay for it or you don't.

Buy a drink. When she finally shows up, the slutty bitch, ask her what drink you can get her. Then order it from the waitress. Don't take another sip until she's served.

It's natural that someone meets someone at a place to have 'drinks' and the first person already has one. If she's real late and you're sitting there without one, you look like a mope who's trying too hard.

Sit back, order a drink, enjoy the scenery until she shows up...

With her boyfriend. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

b

Reef
03-17-2005, 07:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I really wonder about some of these posts on here I am surprised half the posters can actually get out of bed and dressed without having to ask advice on here on which arm should I put through first etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw an awesome "Farside" with a geek waking up out of bed. Right on his wall is a sign that says "Pants first - THEN shoes".

thatpfunk
03-17-2005, 07:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Buying girls things don't make them like you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong.

Bluffoon
03-17-2005, 07:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
No matter what she says if she met a guy and all he wanted to do was buy her things she would never want to date him. She would just string him along as a "friend" and let him keep buying her things. Girls just aren't "attracted" to supplicating guys.

There are exceptions. Mainly with girls who aren't very attractive or don't have self-esteem. Also, the better looking guy you are the more you can get away with being a sissy.

[/ QUOTE ]

YOU are CHEAP because this is clearly such an ISSUE for YOU. Guys are providers and it is customary and polite for a guy to pay on a date and is a RITUALIZATION(?)of your ability and willingness to provide for your potential mate. That is the way the world was set up and you dont want to accept it because you are a CHEAPSKATE. Now I can see you have a lot of problems and I don't expect you to accept this but we are here to help each other so I thought I would give it a try. Good luck.

daveymck
03-17-2005, 07:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

YOU are CHEAP because this is clearly such an ISSUE for YOU. Guys are providers and it is customary and polite for a guy to pay on a date and is a RITUALIZATION(?)of your ability and willingness to provide for your potential mate. That is the way the world was set up and you dont want to accept it because you are a CHEAPSKATE. Now I can see you have a lot of problems and I don't expect you to accept this but we are here to help each other so I thought I would give it a try. Good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

My natural state would be to buy the drinks and pay for the meal, however a good woman who I want to see more of would insist on buying the next round, going half on the meal or even better saying I'll let you get this one its my treat next time.

Bluffoon
03-17-2005, 10:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]

My natural state would be to buy the drinks and pay for the meal, however a good woman who I want to see more of would insist on buying the next round, going half on the meal or even better saying I'll let you get this one its my treat next time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I always appreciate this but don't expect it. If however in the end the relationship is not balanced it's usually not healthy.

meep_42
03-17-2005, 12:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Whatever you do, don't use a straw. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

astroglide
03-17-2005, 12:49 PM
sounds like siccjay has maybe taken one too many CONQUER WOMEN courses but i generally agree with him.

before i'm "with" (in the relationship sense, not necessarily the sex sense) a girl i'm not inclined to buy [censored] for her. i'm not cheap, it's just not how i like to set up things. i'll take care of people who are with me. before that i think it's throwing money away with a bad impression. if a girl asks me to buy her a drink i'll ask her to buy me one too. if that makes her think i'm cheap or whatever she can go [censored] herself, i don't care. i don't know her from a bum and i usually won't give a bum a quarter.

right now my gf of nearly 4 years is getting her phd and makes beans. her parents are wealthy though, and they support her financially. i pay a little more than half of everything, like if we go out for dessert or something i always pick that up and probably get the short end of the stick overall dinner-wise. paying for her stuff would be a nice gesture, but i'm just buying her parents dinner and they have much more money than me. she also pays half of my mortgage in rent for my condo. as soon as the cord is cut i'd be happy to mostly support her financially.

Patrick del Poker Grande
03-17-2005, 01:01 PM
...or have her support you.