PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Election Law Decision

HDPM
10-02-2002, 06:36 PM
Here's a link to a story on the "Torch" Torricelli escapade. web page (http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&cid=683&ncid=703&e=1&u=/ap/20021002/ap_on_el_se/torricelli)

This is a ridiculous decision. The result is that candidates in trouble can be replaced on a whim to improve the chances of one party. It's fine to have a replacement in the event of the death of a candidate, but anything else is rub of the green IMO. I mean come on, the Torch had obvious ethical problems when he was nominated, but he was nominated by Democrats. Just because they nominated a loser is no reason to then let the loser quit and somehow justify it as preserving the two-party system. This decision undermines the two party system if anything.

OTOH, if the Republicans could have swapped out Ashcroft....

Jimbo
10-02-2002, 06:42 PM
HDPM,

I agree with you completely. This decision is unfathomable to any unbiased observer. In your experience what might be the next best step for the local Republican party to pursue?

Jimbo

andyfox
10-02-2002, 06:47 PM
Shows how bankrupt the courts are. Torch is going to lose, we'll just get someone else if the court majority is Democratic. Stop counting the ballots, said the Supreme Court on Friday (in the Gore/Bush Florida fiasco), because we're going to rule in favor of the Republicans on Monday.

Damn lawyers. . .

HDPM
10-02-2002, 07:09 PM
The Republicans are in a difficult spot. Lautenberg has name recognition and experience. Sure, the Republicans can make fun of the Torch and the whole process, but there could be a backlash. It also hurts because I'm sure most of the election strategy was to make fun of the Torch. I'd probably run some ads saying we're flattered the Torch knew we were beating him so bad and wish him luck. Then I'd have a positive ad. Then I'd find some ways to mock Lautenberg. Mr. anti-gun Lautenberg wouldn't crack 25% where I am, but I figure he's a lock in N.J. Maybe not though. I hope people see how manipulative the whole process is and vote against the Democrat. I might look at ways to appeal to the Supreme Court. That's been a better forum for Republicans. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif