PDA

View Full Version : Help please OM Hi PL

10-02-2002, 06:19 PM
1. Internet PLO HI...I don't understand WHAT a raising hand before the flop IS and why players do it (I have lost far more with dbl suited aces for example than I could ever win with a pre flop raise...running bad??). With so many RANDOM flops, what's the point of raising? I.e., make it $45 with '4 in a row, flop part of it, and BECAUSE A SET FOR EXAMPLE WILL NOW POT IT, MAKING IT SAY $75 or more, it's rare that you get the right price to make the post flop call (isn't it??)most players seem to wait to go all in, in these jammed pots when they flop a set etc.

2. Is top set much( if at all) a dog against say, 3 other players? At what point should the 'Big Bet' go in with top set, if at all? Same question with a wrap (no flush draw).

Great thanks, need help please.

Erdnase
10-03-2002, 05:03 AM
Hi Paul,

I have played Omaha Pot limit (hi only) for some time now, both live and online. But I would never consider myself an expert, so treat all comments critically...

Anyway, here goes:

1. I would raise with many different hands, usually from late position. They all have 4 cards working together, no exceptions. Examples would include: KKQJ, AsATxs, AKTJ, 6789ds (doublesuited), TTJQ, 7789, ... Usually I raise the pot, unless there has been a raise in front of me. Then much depends on the situation (limpers?, stack size, ...). I do not like to get all-in preflop, unless I have "strong" Aces, at least one of them suited and I am pretty sure I can get it heads-up, either all-in preflop or with less than a pot bet on flop, preferably only 50% of my stack left.

2. Top trips (as the nuts on the flop) can even be a dog against one player on the flop. Example: Player 1 has JdJc2d3c, Player 2 has 8s9sQhKh, Flop comes JsTs4h.
So even though Player 1 has the nuts with JJJ, Player 2 has a monster hand (20 way straight draw, flush draw, backdoor flush draw) and is a favorite in the hand. P2 will win about 62 % of the time.

Still, usually, top set is at least a money favorite. Generally, the made hand likes to get the money in early, while a favorite, whereas the drawing hand likes the money to be deep, in order to get paid when it hits. So sometimes, it might be reasonable to only call with top set, depending on the structure of the flop and the number of opponents, take off a card and hopefully get to fire again on the turn after a blank hits.

Just some general thoughts...

Greets, Erd

10-05-2002, 06:33 AM
Erd...I thank you _greatly_ for your expert advice and help. It meant a lot.

Yesterday I sent a reply with comments and questions about OM hi and hilo and don't think it got posted!! It was about a page long, I'm very disappointed if you didn't recieve it, please let me know. It also thanked you for your time and help.

Feel free to reach me at "ourvintagestyle@aol.com" I would enjoy chatting with you.

Many thanks, Paul