PDA

View Full Version : Multitabling Opinion Requested

Dave H.
03-16-2005, 09:02 AM
I'd really appreciate some advice regarding multitabling.

Could you please indicate the level you play at, whether you consider yourself an expert, average player, or novice and whether you believe multitabling is a help/hindrance to your bankroll.

Also, if you could, please elaborate, i.e. give some reasons that you believe it helps/hinders.

I wanted to do some kind of poll regarding this, but decided that "reasons" would probably be more instructive.

Thanx much!

ctv1116
03-16-2005, 09:46 AM
The pros/cons of multitabling should be fairly obvious. Pros: More money, more hands, more decisions, more learning. Cons: Less reads, larger downswings (due to lower BB/100).

jkkkk
03-16-2005, 11:28 AM
i've been thinking about multi-tabling for a while now, thinking of getting a 1600*1200 capable monitor because of the obvious disadvantages with trying to play 4 tables at once on PP in 1028 res.

is there any other poker clients that allow you to resize the tables to less than 800*600?

adamstewart
03-16-2005, 11:45 AM
Just try it for yourself sometime. See if it's for you.

NOTE:

* only add one table at a time, until you get comfortable.

* make sure you know "ABC" poker before you try to multi-table.

* You may even drop down a level in stakes when you first start out.

* make sure to adjust to screen resolution to its maximum pixels, so that you can see seperate tables at the same time. (I find a little overlap is still okay, though).

Adam

jb9
03-16-2005, 12:54 PM
I'm a recreational/average player (been playing a few months, read a couple of books, a winning player so far) who mostly plays 1/2 and 2/4 limit. I will usually play 2 tables (rarely 3, never 4, sometimes only 1).

I think playing 2 tables is best for me as I find 3 or more too distracting and less fun (and fun is almost as important to me as profit -- and the only reason profit is more important is because if I go broke, I won't be able to play as much, which isn't fun).

2 tables keeps me from getting bored and playing weaker hands, which is good for my bankroll. 2 tables also gives me twice as many hands per hour while still giving me time to concentrate on them, which is good for gaining experience (my primary goal is to get better and play higher limits, so right now improving my play is more appealing than maximizing hourly win rates). I also find it is easier to ignore/get over a bad beat when I have another table demanding my attention.

Obviously a lot of people here have what it takes to play many more tables, but I don't think I do (at least not yet -- maybe a year from now I'll find 4 tables slow and boring). I can't decide if I'm super impressed or mildly frightened by the people who routinely play 8 (or more) tables.

For what it's worth, I will often play different games at the same time (limit Hold'em at one -- NL Hold'em, Stud, or Omaha at the other) which is another reason I keep it to 2 tables (I find Stud in particular requires more attention). On the rare occassions I play 3 tables, I always play 3 limit hold'em tables as that's the game I'm most comfortable with.

Brian
03-16-2005, 01:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Could you please indicate the level you play at, whether you consider yourself an expert, average player, or novice and whether you believe multitabling is a help/hindrance to your bankroll.

[/ QUOTE ]

10/20, average, help. It's a great help to me because I rarely find opportunities to use player-specific reads to my advantage when playing 1 table. PokerTracker helps me identifiy maniacs, LAG's, and loose/passives, and that's plenty for me. Also, even when I am paying attention to just 1 table and really studying every hand, the amount of times that I would deviate from my "default play" just don't add up to be higher EV than adding more tables.

-Brian

illunious
03-16-2005, 02:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
is there any other poker clients that allow you to resize the tables to less than 800*600?

[/ QUOTE ]

UB and GamingClub have a mini-view mode.

papa_georgio
03-16-2005, 02:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Ultimate Bet has a mini-view

BIGRED
03-16-2005, 02:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
5/10 6-max anywhere between 4 to 8 tables
average 2+2 player
definitely helps

[ QUOTE ]

Also, if you could, please elaborate, i.e. give some reasons that you believe it helps/hinders..

[/ QUOTE ]
It helps because it maximizes my use of time, and let's me get in more hands than otherwise possible. I think whatever BB/100 I'm giving up is more than made up by the BB/Hr I'm gaining by doing this. If I'm doing anything less then 3 tables, it seem like I'm just sitting around not doing much.

billyb
03-16-2005, 03:21 PM
I just started playing more than 1. I find I can handle 3 with no problem but 4 is just tooo many.

I usually play 1/2 limit

peace
billyb

jkkkk
03-16-2005, 07:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

UB and GamingClub have a mini-view mode.

[/ QUOTE ]

thx

pokerjunky
03-16-2005, 08:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]

* make sure to adjust to screen resolution to its maximum pixels, so that you can see seperate tables at the same time. (I find a little overlap is still okay, though).

[/ QUOTE ]

How exactly do you do this?

jkkkk
03-16-2005, 08:11 PM
on your desktop, right click, properties, settings tab.

there should be a little resolution box that u can drag the point across.

managed to get mine to 1600 * 1024 which makes it all that much easier /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Number4
03-16-2005, 08:14 PM
I play 4 tables of 2/4 at a time and would consider myself an average to slightly above average player.

Multi-tabling is definitely a big help, especially when you are clearing time sensitive bonuses. If you are going to multi-table, I highly recommend PT and PlayerView.

Good: more tables, more money, less boredom.
Bad: can be overwhelming at first, read may not be as good, overlap sucks

Greg J
03-16-2005, 09:26 PM
Also Pokerchamps.

sethypooh21
03-16-2005, 10:32 PM
2/4 6-max. Average-slightly below (which makes me a genius in that game by comparison). 5 tables. Helps bankroll.

I'd guess that I'm probably sacrificing .25-.5BB/100 by playing so many tables, but the extra 100 hands per hour more then makes up for it.

I will say that you have to have a good 'auto-pilot' to play any more then 2 at a time succesfully. But by this point so many decisions are so standard that they don't require active thought.

helpmeout
03-17-2005, 01:22 AM
Whether you multitable or not you should have 4 tables on your screen just for table selection.

Personally I play 1-3tables of 10/20 6max (depends on whether the games are good enough).

I dont think anyone playing below 5/10 should play 4 tables or more. Weak players should spend more time thinking about decisions and strategys instead of trying to make a quick buck.

I'd also consider myself a novice.

GemiNiveK
03-17-2005, 02:38 AM
Maybe it's ADD, but if I play less than 4 tables I get bored and start playing weak hands or find other things to do and stop paying attention altogether. I 4-tabled for about 80K hands then decided to try more. Lately I've been 8-tabling a bit but only when I'm really in a groove (extremely alert, etc.). Right now I'm 6-tabling and I still have plenty of time to participate in these forums, read news online, and mess with PokerTracker. Then again I've always been a good multitasker. If your VPIP is 20 or more you'll probably have a hard time keeping up. Mine is typically ~17 and 8-tabling still gets crazy from time to time, especially if a few tables get short-handed.

Overlap is not an option. Get two displays that will handle 1600x1200 with a refresh rate of at least 70Hz (to avoid eyestrain and headaches). Get comfortable with 4 tables, then add a fifth, then a sixth...and so forth. When I step up in limits I drop down to 2-3 tables at first then add a table after I get acclimated.

I love it when I get 500+ hands/hour with 2-3BB/100. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

~K