PDA

View Full Version : DVD's: Widescreen vs Fullscreen

The Dude
03-16-2005, 07:20 AM
Really, does anybody prefer fullscreen anymore? It bugs the hell out of me when I go to buy a DVD and the place doesn't have any Widescreen versions available. Or when I get home, open it up, then realize I grabbed the wrong one.

Popinjay
03-16-2005, 07:21 AM
Widescreen > *

mr pink
03-16-2005, 08:08 AM
accidentally buying full screen is the worst.

codewarrior
03-16-2005, 08:15 AM
Widescreen DVD mastered in HD, HD DVD player, HD widescreen monitor + tater tots + beef jerky + diet coke = heaven on my sofa.

YourFoxyGrandma
03-16-2005, 08:25 AM
Pan n' Scan was the worst thing that ever happened to cinema.

Klepton
03-16-2005, 08:53 AM
widescreen, and i think this is one of the few times i will ever say "and it's not even close"

beerbandit
03-16-2005, 09:17 AM
i bought anchorman and the package said widescreen yet it was not, it actually pissed me off

every movie that i buy is widescreen, when available

cheers

Catch of the Day
03-16-2005, 09:26 AM
Wide, and its not even close.

Catch-

Sporky
03-16-2005, 09:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]

i bought anchorman and the package said widescreen yet it was not, it actually pissed me off

[/ QUOTE ]

i think i'd be more upset that i bought anchorman.

wacki
03-16-2005, 10:41 AM
There is a bit of a flaw in your poll. I don't have a widescreen TV yet so I don't care too much about format. The second I do get a widescreen TV, fullscreen will turn into a naughty word. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

beerbandit
03-16-2005, 10:48 AM
really

YourFoxyGrandma
03-16-2005, 10:51 AM
Is this some kind of sick joke?

EDIT: Also, I found this (http://www.shortfatguy.com/images/lotr/t2tcomparison.html) .

razor
03-16-2005, 11:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
There is a bit of a flaw in your poll. I don't have a widescreen TV yet so I don't care too much about format. The second I do get a widescreen TV, fullscreen will turn into a naughty word. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a flaw in your thinking.

Widescreen is simply better whether or not you have a 4:3 or 16:9 TV.

The Pan & Scan format is evil, always was, always will be.

MarkL444
03-16-2005, 11:23 AM
i voted dont care as i dont have a widescreen tv in my apartment. however, if im going to buy a dvd and both versions are there, ill grab the widescreen as i assume one day i will have a WS TV

Photoc
03-16-2005, 11:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
+ tater tots + beef jerky + diet coke = heaven on my sofa.

[/ QUOTE ]

And the point of the "Diet" coke is what? Trying to count them callories? lol

wacki
03-16-2005, 11:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
There is a flaw in your thinking.

Widescreen is simply better whether or not you have a 4:3 or 16:9 TV.

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends on how big your TV is.

razor
03-16-2005, 12:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i voted dont care as i dont have a widescreen tv in my apartment. however, if im going to buy a dvd and both versions are there, ill grab the widescreen as i assume one day i will have a WS TV

[/ QUOTE ]

If I knew I was stuck with my 36" 4:3 TV for THE REST OF MY LIFE, there is still absolutely NO WAY I would EVER buy a Pan & Scan DVD.

The value of Widescreen DVDs are not directly connected to the format of one's TV.

Patrick del Poker Grande
03-16-2005, 12:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If I knew I was stuck with my 36" 4:3 TV for THE REST OF MY LIFE, there is still absolutely NO WAY I would EVER buy a Pan & Scan DVD.

The value of Widescreen DVDs are not directly connected to the format of one's TV.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's only an issue when your tv is small - this is the only acceptable pan & can situation. I'm talking on the order of 13" here and you're not sitting right in front of it.

ethan
03-16-2005, 12:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
EDIT: Also, I found this (http://www.shortfatguy.com/images/lotr/t2tcomparison.html) .

[/ QUOTE ]

The fullscreen version isn't even the same movie. I can't see how people could prefer it.

razor
03-16-2005, 12:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's only an issue when your tv is small - this is the only acceptable pan & can situation. I'm talking on the order of 13" here and you're not sitting right in front of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure I would agree even in that case, but I could understand why others would.

razor
03-16-2005, 12:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, I found this (http://www.shortfatguy.com/images/lotr/t2tcomparison.html) .

[/ QUOTE ]

This is to say nothing of the artifical camera movement one gets with Pan & Scan.

The Dude
03-16-2005, 03:00 PM
What's the matter? None of you 6 morons who voted fullscreen are willing to admit who you are?

jakethebake
03-16-2005, 03:04 PM
I don't care, and the ones that have both on one DVD make it really hard to watch a movie at my house.

Me: Which movie do you wanna watch?
Wife: I don't care.
Me: Well pick one.
Me (hands behind the back): Pick a hand.
Her: I don't care (as she picks one).
Me: o.k. we're watching (insert title here).
Me: Do you want to watch it on full screen or wide screen.
Me: Well, I don't care either so which is it.
Wife: Will you just put the damn movie in already?!!!

daryn
03-16-2005, 04:12 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
I don't care, and the ones that have both on one DVD make it really hard to watch a movie at my house.

[/ QUOTE ]

damn sounds like you are the woman in this relationship

Shajen
03-16-2005, 04:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, my wife does this [censored] too. Sometimes you get sick of making all the damned decisions about where to eat and all that so you force them to make a decision.

At least I do.

The Dude
03-16-2005, 04:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
ometimes you get sick of making all the damned decisions about where to eat and all that so you force them to make a decision.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, but he said
[ QUOTE ]
I don't care

[/ QUOTE ]

peachy
03-16-2005, 04:21 PM
i always buy widescreen...if they dont have it i go somewhere else and get it

MEbenhoe
03-16-2005, 04:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Reef
03-16-2005, 04:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The fullscreen version isn't even the same movie. I can't see how people could prefer it.

[/ QUOTE ]

F#CK, my "fellowship of the ring" is fullscreen and the other 2 are widescreen. I'm a dumbass.