PDA

View Full Version : Starting hands

10-02-2002, 04:56 PM
I play in your average low-limit hold'em game. Have for several years. I consider myself quite disciplined, but lately, my discipline has developed a serious leak. My list of starting hands is quite specific, but the first K7 that comes along, or Ace any, I'm contributing to that hope chest in the center of the table. This problem has not been critical until recently when I started getting an extended streak of poor quality starting cards. I realize that fortunes rise or fall on this very part of the game, but, somehow, when I'm into the game, hope springs eternal. Late position? 54s? I'm in. Q8? Just a 3-gapper. I'm in. Short of professional psychological help, any advice for pratical ideas about how to end this costly dreaming?

DisR

Herb N.
10-02-2002, 07:43 PM
You made a big set reconising your proublem.Now I think a way to break this cycle is to take some time off from poker maby a week or two don't even think about poker.Then before you go out and play read some good books NO STUDY so good books on your game.Next time you play make your self a promise if you start to play shi---poop your out the door. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Ray Zee
10-03-2002, 12:11 AM
take a small amount to play for the night. if you lose it you must quit. you will then start to wait for something good or you will be going home quickly.

10-03-2002, 06:24 PM
Go back to HEPFAP, study it and apply it. If you are disciplined enough as you said you are, then why do you play those chessy hands? Is it a question of lack of patience? In a game having a long run of cold cards, say an hour or two, and when hands like KJo, QTo starts looking like premium hands, this is where your patience and discipline are tested. You should RESIST going in no matter how long it takes you to get real playable cards. That's discipline. The funny thing is that most players, study, read, study in a continuous cycle but FAIL to apply what was learned. If we don't apply it, did we really learn it? It goes back to DISCIPLINE + PATIENCE + EMOTIONAL CONTROL I'm still working hard on them too.

andyfox
10-04-2002, 10:56 PM
Imagine we're all sweating every hand. Do you want us to see you playing Q-8 or 5-4s? In early position (first 3 spots), don't even look at your 2nd card unless your first card is a face or an ace. And I like Ray's idea of only going with a small amount of money, which will force you to reconsider "investing" any of it with poor cards.

Mikey
10-05-2002, 08:23 AM
How about this....analyze all the previous times you limped with that garbage and played it until the river and see how many times you made a 2nd best hand and you just pissed money away, that you wish if you were more discipline you would have it now. Just because you are a better poker player....doesn't mean that you can beat these guys....

Put it this way.....let's say you pick up AA and David Sklansky picks up KK.....you are favorite to win over David...I don't care who picks up what when you have AA, he/she is a dog to your hand before the flop.

So if you have Q8 and this other guy decides to play Q9, you are a dog. Also if you have K7 and are up against K8 you are a dog. Think of it that way, and you'll be throwing those hands away faster that a rabbit gets -----.

Jeffrey Biship
10-06-2002, 03:57 PM
Imagine we're all sweating every hand.

Ha. I actually do that! Sometimes I think it actually hurts me, as I'm not in the moment enough, but too busy being stupidly self-conscious infront of an imaginary audience.

What really burns me is when I make a play that blows up in my face, all the while internally "looking over my shoulder" at the RGP/2+2 Peanut Gallery, trying to make those ghosts happy. Then I post the result on one of the forums, and everyone tells me whatta maroon I am for playing that way! Oh well.

Jeff

10-06-2002, 09:44 PM
you know what is correct, look at the cards then make a decision, and stick with it. And yes it is ok to think what would HPFAP have to say about this hand as part of the decision making process. It works great for me. Then wait your turn and quickly make your play.

CORed
10-07-2002, 03:16 PM
Play online and play two tables. The fast pace means you will rarely have to wait more than a few minutes to get a playable hand. Also, just clicking the "fold" button for two tables will keep you occupied, if not entertained. It's easy to fold that KJo when you are playing AK on the other table. Once you see how playing good starting cards helps your bottom line, it should be easier to excercise the same discipline in a live game.