PDA

View Full Version : Review of those chips found on eBay please

Marc Desjardins
03-16-2005, 03:53 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=63760&item=6163085 393&rd=1

Anybody knows if those chips are any good? the price is pretty low, but shipping is high since I'm in canada...

what do you guys think, are they worth it?

TenPercenter
03-16-2005, 03:55 AM
I think they're worth it. It's hard to tell from the picture, but they seem a bit more glossy than my old super-diamnd chips with that same mold. The ones I have seem almost like real clay, so they may too.

Ten

tubalkain
03-16-2005, 06:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think they're worth it. It's hard to tell from the picture, but they seem a bit more glossy than my old super-diamnd chips with that same mold. The ones I have seem almost like real clay, so they may too.

Ten

[/ QUOTE ]

$36 shipping in the US kinda negates the price advantage. Still... if you can get multiples with shipping breaks/different shipping method/actual cost shipping, these plus a little rubber stamp security make a great 30+ tournament set.

ky70
03-16-2005, 10:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
$36 shipping in the US kinda negates the price advantage. Still... if you can get multiples with shipping breaks/different shipping method/actual cost shipping, these plus a little rubber stamp security make a great 30+ tournament set.

[/ QUOTE ]

With shipping (in the US) it works out to a hair under 6 cents a chip...you would be hard pressed to beat that price.

The shipping is high, but that's how a lot of ebayer's increase their profit margin as ebay doesn't charge a "rake" on shipping, but you have to compare total cost with other alternatives to see if a deal is good. I can't speak about the quality of the chip itself but that total price beats any online price I've seen.

JTrout
03-16-2005, 02:06 PM
6c chips (http://www.5stardeal.com/deals/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=10-1600)

You might consider these. Nice weight. Nice texture.

TenPercenter
03-16-2005, 02:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I would consider these. Nice weight. Nice texture.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. And you can trust 5star for quick/fair shipping.

Ten

ky70
03-16-2005, 02:59 PM
With Shipping, the 5 star chips (and they also carry the identical chips as the one on Ebay for 6 c before shipping) come to $75(shipped to my location) and the Ebay deal would be for a total of $59...so there is nice little differencial in there but now u have all the info, so choose what works best for u.

msb
03-16-2005, 04:00 PM
Yes. But you can get hot-stamping on the ones from 5-star and you can choose your chip distribution...

(I believe the hot-stamping is about .09 per chip, right now.)

But if those aren't desired, I like the eBay deal.

JTrout
03-16-2005, 05:16 PM
I did not see the weight of the chips on eBay.
I would assume they are light (4-6gr).

There are chips made that look like the ones on the auction that weigh from 4 gr. up to 9 gr.

PinataUT
03-16-2005, 05:22 PM
They are very light but feel surprisingly good. Good buy for the $, IMHO.

FatMan
03-16-2005, 05:56 PM
5Star usually offers 25% off your order. That would make their price very close to the e-bay price. I have made 3 purchases from them and have been satisfied with each one.

pokerchipreviews
03-17-2005, 01:19 AM
The 10 Gram Dice Chips that TenPercenter agrees with are the best buy out there....period. I can assure you they will absolutely smoke the ebay chips in regards to feel and weight and even their sound. Go with the 10 Gram Dice chips. You won't be sorry.

John
www.pokerchipreviews.com (http://www.pokerchipreviews.com)

tomb1
03-17-2005, 01:35 AM
The 10-grammers are the best buy out there for cheap chips.... unbelievable 5-star deal for 6¢ each plus reasonable shipping. And they feel and sound better than "cheap" chips. If you're not ready for better chips (like Nexgens) or the best chips (Paulson/Chipco), these are fantastic.

ky70
03-18-2005, 11:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
5Star usually offers 25% off your order. That would make their price very close to the e-bay price. I have made 3 purchases from them and have been satisfied with each one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ths 6 cents per chip includes the 5-star discount. Make no mistake, the e-bay deal is cheaper...the question here is are you getting the exact same product and is it in brand new condition and if you feel the seller is trustworthy, and if the $16 savings is worth the risk (in your mind).

I'm a big fan of 5star as well but I want to be clear to the original poster that the ebay option is the cheaper deal of the two.

hunterking
03-18-2005, 08:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]

You might consider these. Nice weight. Nice texture.

[/ QUOTE ]

how do these feel compared to a more mid-grade chip like a nexgen or the neophytes on buypokerchips...i don't really know that much about low- to mid-grade chips, but i have a sample of the neophytes, and they're pretty nice for a cheaper chip...wish i could afford some paulsons now, but i need to build up my bankroll a bit more before i get some of those... /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Coleman
03-18-2005, 09:37 PM
OK
I've bought my fair share of cheap chips, so here's my 2 cents:
When this mold looks shiny, they are usually very plastic-y sounding. They may be 4g, they may be 8g.
This mold has many, many compositions, and the best of them are rather nice- but the worst of them are kinda gross.
6 cents is not a very good price for them- you can find them for 4 cents if you are patient.
Is it absolutely imperative that you spend this little on these chips?
10 cents will get you almost any 11.5g chips with edge stripes. 18 cents will get you nexgens.
You can get actual Clay for 35 cents!
My main quibbles with buying these chips: They have virtually no resale value, you can't choose colors, and you will immediately want to upgrade. They are also dangerous in ring games. Do you really need so many?
Buy the very smallest quantity of the cheapest chips you can get away with. 300 chips will serve a 10 player tourney very well, if you have 3 colors. When you build your bankroll, upgrade to a level that you will enjoy for years to come.