PDA

View Full Version : NCAA odds question

MEbenhoe
03-16-2005, 03:34 AM
What odds do you think you'd give to win NCAA tourney?

Illinois, UNC, Duke, WF, and OSU vs Field?

Dead
03-16-2005, 03:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Illinois I think is about a 6 to 1 shot to win the whole thing.

I'd put UNC at 7 to 1, Duke at 12 to 1, WF at 12 to 1, and OSU at 11 to 1.

I'd also put Syracuse at 20 to 1.

But in my heart I would put Syracuse at 6 or 7 to 1 right up there with UNC and Illinois.

MEbenhoe
03-16-2005, 03:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Illinois I think is about a 6 to 1 shot to win the whole thing.

I'd put UNC at 7 to 1, Duke at 12 to 1, WF at 12 to 1, and OSU at 11 to 1.

I'd also put Syracuse at 20 to 1.

[/ QUOTE ]

no no, i mean if you were betting against a friend, you get Illinois, UNC, Duke, WF, and OSU, they get the field. What would you make the odds?

Clarkmeister
03-16-2005, 03:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

no no, i mean if you were betting against a friend, you get Illinois, UNC, Duke, WF, and OSU, they get the field. What would you make the odds?

[/ QUOTE ]

I make the "Big 5" about a 75% favorite to win it all. So you should lay 3:1.

Dead
03-16-2005, 03:50 AM
Sorry I'm new to sports betting. I can't answer that- I was just pontificating on the odds of each team winning the entire thing.

But none of the Field numbers on Pinnacle looked particularly enticing.

MEbenhoe
03-16-2005, 03:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I make the "Big 5" about a 75% favorite to win it all. So you should lay 3:1.

[/ QUOTE ]

hmm when i was originally thinking this up 3:1 was my first thought but then I actually was thinking this might even be +EV at 10:1. I really just don't see any team other than those 5 going all the way. Other teams may make the final 4, but I don't think any other team has the capability to win 6 straight games against top level competition.

just my opinion

Dead
03-16-2005, 03:51 AM
Clark, you've never told me what you think SU's odds are of winning the entire thing. Now that I have my bet in, why don't you estimate it? I have them locked in at 28 to 1 and they've since dropped to 24 to 1 on Pinnacle, and lower on other sites.

I find it hard to believe that they're worse than 28 to 1 to win the whole thing, and if they're better than that then I made a good +EV bet.

Clarkmeister
03-16-2005, 03:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Sorry I'm new to sports betting. I can't answer that- I was just pontificating on the odds of each team winning the entire thing.

But none of the Field numbers on Pinnacle looked particularly enticing.

[/ QUOTE ]

C'mon Dead, it's simple math. Take your odds to win for each of the 5 teams and convert them to %'s. Then add the %%'s. Viola! Odds for the 5 teams to win.

Dead
03-16-2005, 03:53 AM
Ok. I came up with about 55% total for my estimates of the teams above. So I guess that 45% of the time Field will win.

Clarkmeister
03-16-2005, 04:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think any other team has the capability to win 6 straight games against top level competition.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is truly your criteria, I think you can take Wake out of your Big 5.

MEbenhoe
03-16-2005, 04:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think any other team has the capability to win 6 straight games against top level competition.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They're there as a safety valve, gotta have someone from that region

Dead
03-16-2005, 04:16 AM
Then pick GONZAGA.

Clarkmeister
03-16-2005, 04:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They're there as a safety valve, gotta have someone from that region

[/ QUOTE ]

Zags based solely on their non-con thrashing of in-regional competitors Washington and Georgia Tech.

Wake can literally lose any game they are in. Last year every tourney game they played came down to the wire and I think they are playing worse than they were at this time last year. I wouldn't be totally astounded to see them lose in the first weekend.

Dead
03-16-2005, 04:18 AM
You'd better be right about Gonzaga Clark jk /images/graemlins/grin.gif How much did you put on them to win the West? I'm thinking that maybe I should have bet 50 or 100 on them instead of 25, but we'll see.

Clarkmeister
03-16-2005, 04:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You'd better be right about Gonzaga Clark jk /images/graemlins/grin.gif How much did you put on them to win the West?

[/ QUOTE ]

$500 at 8-1. They may or may not win the regional, but their true price should be about 4-1, so I'll take my chances with that kind of overlay.

Dead
03-16-2005, 04:26 AM
Did you see that tech said another site was giving 10 to 1 on them? I shouldn't have missed that.