PDA

View Full Version : Do you have a problem...

istewart
03-16-2005, 12:18 AM
...with people who say "I like every type of music, except country"?

jakethebake
03-16-2005, 12:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I like every type of music except rap.

Dead
03-16-2005, 12:21 AM
Not really, but the only reason that these "hip" people say it is because they think that only "ignorant redneck hicks listen to country".

People who normally answer this way are upper-middle class white teenage suburbanites.

I happen to like some country.

istewart
03-16-2005, 12:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Not really, but the only reason that these "hip" people say it is because they think that only "ignorant redneck hicks listen to country".

People who normally answer this way are upper-middle class white teenage suburbanites.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quite accurate.

pshreck
03-16-2005, 12:27 AM
Why would someone have a problem with this, I dont get it.

The statement is true for many people.

Mayhap
03-16-2005, 12:30 AM
It's definitely a 'tell'.

/M

istewart
03-16-2005, 12:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Why would someone have a problem with this, I dont get it.

The statement is true for many people.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doubtful. Liking "every type of music except country" is really uncommon, I would venture to guess. When people say that I usually assume they listen to Trapt.

pshreck
03-16-2005, 12:35 AM
I think the statement comes from the fact that people can understand why people like other music, but not country.

I wouldnt say I am an opera fan, or a reggae fan, but I can understand that people may find it good. For country, I really cant understand how people listen to it an have enjoyment.

ThaSaltCracka
03-16-2005, 12:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Doubtful. Liking "every type of music except country" is really uncommon,

[/ QUOTE ] wtf? No its not.

Benholio
03-16-2005, 12:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is pretty much true for me. Of all the 'mainstream' music types, I don't really like country but I like the rest. I'll make sure to tell everyone I know about this since it seems to bother people!

istewart
03-16-2005, 12:39 AM
Among people who actually tell the truth, yes.

YourFoxyGrandma
03-16-2005, 12:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Liking "every type of music except country" is really uncommon, I would venture to guess. When people say that I usually assume they listen to Trapt.

[/ QUOTE ]

As has been my experience.

ThaSaltCracka
03-16-2005, 12:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]no, you are wrong. 75% of the people I know don't like any country. Of that 25% left, maybe 15-20% like a little, and 5% like it a lot.

tdarko
03-16-2005, 12:46 AM
sample size WAY to small

ThaSaltCracka
03-16-2005, 12:48 AM
That is the most retarded and overused rebuttal on this entire forum. Why doesn't the OP just do a poll anyways, dumb [censored].

istewart
03-16-2005, 12:50 AM
The point of the post is not that I don't like people who say they don't like country, but those who say "I like EVERYTHING BUT country." It's nearly always a lie.

pshreck
03-16-2005, 12:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The point of the post is not that I don't like people who say they don't like country, but that they say "I like everything BUT country." It's nearly always a lie.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are really actually wrong on this point. I dont get why you think its a lie.

tdarko
03-16-2005, 12:52 AM
don't get pissy because someone knows that however many poeople you know it's not enough.

and no need to call me names anyway, grow up and learn some class.

pshreck
03-16-2005, 12:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
don't get pissy because someone knows that however many poeople you know it's not enough.

and no need to call me names anyway, grow up and learn some class.

[/ QUOTE ]

he called the OP a name, you dumb [censored]

istewart
03-16-2005, 12:54 AM
...Because it's like saying you like every food, essentially. It's very rare, and most likely impossible, in the first place, so 1) stretching your music tastes light-years beyond what you actually like to appear hip and 2) throwing in "oh yeah, but not country" is uncool.

tdarko
03-16-2005, 12:54 AM
either way it was unprovoked and uncalled for like your use of it was.

ThaSaltCracka
03-16-2005, 12:56 AM
I think when people say "like", the more mean "can listen to".

FWIW, I like everything (some country included).

ThaSaltCracka
03-16-2005, 12:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
either way it was unprovoked and uncalled for like your use of it was.

[/ QUOTE ]you need to stifle yourself asap.

tdarko
03-16-2005, 12:58 AM
yes sir. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

ThaSaltCracka
03-16-2005, 01:01 AM
much better. keep that rage in and then let it loose in an amazing flame war with some n00b.

pshreck
03-16-2005, 01:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
much better. keep that rage in and then let it loose in an amazing flame war with some n00b.

[/ QUOTE ]

spoken from experience

Ba ZIIIING

tdarko
03-16-2005, 01:03 AM
FWIW i was never angry. session way to good to get worked up.

YourFoxyGrandma
03-16-2005, 01:05 AM
Both latin pop and gospel fall under all music. Just something to keep in mind.

BusterStacks
03-16-2005, 01:24 AM
I like all kinds of music including some country, wtf is your point.

M2d
03-16-2005, 01:49 AM
don't you hang out with speed metal/gospel/bigband/baroque/not country fans too? everyone I know is one.

bholdr
03-16-2005, 01:58 AM
listen to some hank williams, drive by truckers, steve earle, etc, etc... bitches.

bholdr
03-16-2005, 01:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I like every type of music except rap.

[/ QUOTE ]

you're missing out, then.

scotty34
03-16-2005, 03:01 AM
I like every kind of music except for Pop. By Pop, I mean all this new mainstream crap where the songs mean absolutely nothing, and the artist usually doesn't even write it. Half the time, they artist can't even sing, he/she is just a very attractive person.

Do you have a problem with people like me? Taste in music is a personal choice; it shouldn't bother you that someone doesn't like music that you like. I'm sure tons of people like Pop, or else it wouldn't be "Popular." I don't have a problem with them.

AngryCola
03-16-2005, 03:04 AM
These guys are right, because that's exactly my point of view.

I don't mind if you think I'm lying, though.

Dr. Strangelove
03-16-2005, 04:18 AM
There are many kinds of music I don't like, but the only one I feel I need to mention is Country.

JaBlue
03-16-2005, 04:24 AM
This is kind of true for me.

I listen to rap, jazz, blues, hip-hop, hardcore punk (like The Bloodbrothers), classic rock, some bluegrass, etc.

I don't listen to the radio, though, so maybe that means the statement isn't true for me even though I've said it before.

Worse than the country thing is when little fake punk white kids somehow use "can't spell crap without rap" or some variant of it.

nothumb
03-16-2005, 04:30 AM
I do.

Because MOST people who say this actually mean, "I like a random assortment of catchy, Top 40 music mixed with a few things my friends have played for me, or things my dad liked when I was kid, and I just don't care enough about music to have any actual taste of my own."

Also, saying this means you probably don't like Bluegrass either, which means you are lying. It also means you are at least claiming not to like Johnny Cash, Carl Perkins, Waylon Jennings, etc, which means you suck.

I actually have more respect for people who say they like anything but rap, because for some guys approaching middle age this is often true.

NT

Dead
03-16-2005, 05:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
"can't spell crap without rap" or some variant of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

My dad says that. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

deacsoft
03-16-2005, 05:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. I say that all the time.

deacsoft
03-16-2005, 05:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Quite accurate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bullshit. I just hate country. I have no problem with anyone who likes it, or think anything less of them. Okay, maybe just a little.

housenuts
03-16-2005, 06:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ya because i like country.

Jack of Arcades
03-16-2005, 06:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I do.

Because MOST people who say this actually mean, "I like a random assortment of catchy, Top 40 music mixed with a few things my friends have played for me, or things my dad liked when I was kid, and I just don't care enough about music to have any actual taste of my own."

Also, saying this means you probably don't like Bluegrass either, which means you are lying. It also means you are at least claiming not to like Johnny Cash, Carl Perkins, Waylon Jennings, etc, which means you suck.

I actually have more respect for people who say they like anything but rap, because for some guys approaching middle age this is often true.

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

I normally don't quote posts but this one's right on. Just about everyone I know that says this (who are high schoolers and college students) means exactly that.

It also means "I've heard 3 country songs my whole life, and they were all by Toby Keith."

Klepton
03-16-2005, 09:02 AM
i listen to hardcore, ya know screaming and stuff, so i pretty much never criticize another person's taste in music

if someone asks what music i like, i say "i can listen to anything but i like hardcore"

people who say "i can listen to anything except country" are mainly trying to be funny / showing their political affialiation

tolbiny
03-16-2005, 09:16 AM
the problem is that so many varieties of music overlap- do you like "folk" but not country? where do you draw the line between some performers- bob dylan for instance. NOt to mention if you made an effort you could find a vast selection of good music if you put forth the effort.
A more accurate statement for most of these people is often "i like most types of music, but i haven't spent the time to find what type of county i like"

Also- all you have to do is listen to the ocuntyrversion of "gin and juice"

Sporky
03-16-2005, 09:39 AM
i can listen to anything except country.

now my political affiliations are out of the bag.

ps - as i lay dying....new cd in june = yum

Matty
03-16-2005, 09:45 AM
I grew up listening to country (til I was about 14). Now I can honestly say that it's the only major class of music that I won't listen to (except a little Garth Brooks). I've tried numerous times to get into it, and I just can not do it and I don't understand how anyone can. Lyrically it sucks, musically it's boring as all hell so all you're left with is accents. I don't think country is even a major class of music anymore- just a fad that went out.

dr. klopek
03-16-2005, 10:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

1)If you asked the people that say this what the other types of music in question are, most would name five. Tops. Clearly not considering ALL music.
2)When you mention rap to someone who doesn't listen to it, the first person they'll think about is 50 cent, if he's the measuring stick, rap [censored] blows. People who don't listen to country don't think of Johnny Cash (overrated), they think Garth Brooks.
3)This is true: [ QUOTE ]
they think that only "ignorant redneck hicks listen to country".

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know why you'd attack something as harmless as country when people are listening to techno in droves. Techno sucks. Real bad. "house," "trance," "trip-hop," and drum and bass" are not kinds of music. They are all techno. They all suck. Worse than 50 Billy ray cyruses.

dr. klopek
03-16-2005, 10:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think country is even a major class of music anymore- just a fad that went out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um....seriously??

Matty
03-16-2005, 10:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Um....seriously??

[/ QUOTE ]Well country sales have been shrinking rapidly compared to other genres for the past 10 or so years.

Boris
03-16-2005, 12:21 PM

wacki
03-16-2005, 12:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummmmmm no. This isn't even worthy of a real response.

Patrick del Poker Grande
03-16-2005, 12:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
When they mean "I like most every popular music except for country," then no. I personally like most all well-done music except for most rap and country. I do like some rap (but definitely not the majority of it) and the only country I can stand to even have on in my presence is the kind that's really more like pop sung by an otherwise country artist - and even that's barely tollerable. I can understand why some people like country and rap, but I just don't (with the exception of some rap).

Matty
03-20-2005, 01:53 PM
One Reason To Not Listen To Country (http://blogcritics.org/archives/2004/10/02/080125.php)

Jack of Arcades
03-20-2005, 02:04 PM
Correlation, and not causation.

Country's just like every other genre in that the [censored] rises to the top, and you have to search to find the worthwhile stuff.

If I judged rock or rap based on the radio, I'd never listen to music.

Matty
03-20-2005, 03:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Correlation, and not causation.

[/ QUOTE ]Ya think?

Gee, you don't think that could have anything to do with why they won the IgNobel prize do you?[ QUOTE ]
If I judged rock or rap based on the radio, I'd never listen to music.

[/ QUOTE ]You don't like Outkast, Black Eyed Peas, Kanye West?

I'm working on my hip hop playlist- which artists should I check out that are off the beaten path?

radek2166
03-20-2005, 03:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

nope

Luv2DriveTT
03-20-2005, 03:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. because they forgot to include polka. That sucks too.

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif

Jack of Arcades
03-20-2005, 03:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ya think?

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you seen the baseball threads on here? People will take that [censored] seriously.

[ QUOTE ]
You don't like Outkast, Black Eyed Peas, Kanye West?

[/ QUOTE ]

Even though I was exaggerating slightly, just Outkast out of that. I like other radio-played artists like Modest Mouse, Radiohead, and others. But 95% of the stuff I listen to won't be on any clear channel stations.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm working on my hip hop playlist- which artists should I check out that are off the beaten path?

[/ QUOTE ]

I really like Sage Francis's later stuff (His last album, A Healthy Distrust, and his Non-Prophets work, Hope).

Also check out Masta Ace, Immortal Technique, Talib Kweli (and Black Star, which his Talib + Mos), Blackalicious, Del tha Funkee Homosapien, Maroons.

jesusarenque
03-20-2005, 03:40 PM
I think the difference between good and bad country is even more pronounced than in other genres.

Townes Van Zandt, Johhny Cash, Waylon Jennings, Steve Earle=good

Toby Keith, Tim McGraw, Kenny Chesney, Big and Rich=sucktitude beyond belief