PDA

View Full Version : Isolation hypothetical (low content)

tiltaholic
03-15-2005, 11:58 PM
Picture this. You are at a table with the usual suspects. You are on the button. The blinds are both straightforward rocks preflop, (vp 8, pf 5), who think they are great players, but are basically oblivious to everything that is happening at the table. To your immediate right in the CO is a happy go lucky player, who sees the flop with 90% of his hands, and raises 10% of them. He bets any piece of the board, otherwise he check/calls to the river.

Everyone folds to CO, CO limps. What is the range of hands you will raise here and is there any range of hands with which you will limp?

btspider
03-16-2005, 12:36 AM
you need to clarify two things:

if he missed the flop, but catches the turn.. does he check-call the flop and then bet the turn? or does he truly check-call to the river.

does he check-call any non-pair hand on the river or check-fold them all?

if he check-folds the river w/o a pair.. i'm thinking any 2 might be profitable.

and a third q.. he bets, you raise, what (if anything) does he 3-bet?

and i'd limp nothing here.

tiltaholic
03-16-2005, 12:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
you need to clarify two things:

if he missed the flop, but catches the turn.. does he check-call the flop and then bet the turn? or does he truly check-call to the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

he'll bet the turn if he catches, and likes it. for example, he holds T8. flop comes AJ4. he checks. turn comes 8. he won't bet it, but will call to showdown. OTOH, he holds T8, flop comes 247, turn 8, he bets.

[ QUOTE ]
does he check-call any non-pair hand on the river or check-fold them all?

[/ QUOTE ]

he'll check-fold a non-pair on the river, or check/call if he feels he needs to keep you honest and he has, say ace-high.

[ QUOTE ]

and a third q.. he bets, you raise, what (if anything) does he 3-bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

he won't 3-bet unless he raises preflop, and will 3-bet a normal range for a loose passive.

assume also he will bet and raise post flop if he flops, turns, or rivers a monster.

i realize the situation is qualified to absurdity, but i am thinking about the economics of isolating an any-2 type player, and working backward from there...