PDA

View Full Version : Would you want to die first?.......

Myrtle
03-15-2005, 07:41 PM
...........If given the choice, would you rather die before or after your wife/husband/significant other?

A friends wife died suddenly & unexpectedly a few days ago and this thought popped into my mind at the wake. Neither position is necessarily correct, methinks......

It appears to depend upon one's perspective.

pshreck
03-15-2005, 07:42 PM
I think its always better for the woman to die first.

Shajen
03-15-2005, 07:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't possibly be married.

The answer for 99% of married people I would guess would be themselves.

A_C_Slater
03-15-2005, 07:52 PM
uh.... like 55% of married people get divorced.

7ontheline
03-15-2005, 07:52 PM
Absolutely I would rather die before my wife. I'm a selfish guy - the grief would be horrible.

pshreck
03-15-2005, 07:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't possibly be married.

The answer for 99% of married people I would guess would be themselves.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not married, and am talking from an entirely unselfish point of view. I would probably like to die first, but it would be better for my wife if she died first.

Shajen
03-15-2005, 07:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

55% of married people get divorced? Does this mean of marriages less than 5 years old, or what? No one ever seems to be able to come up with a decent stat for that. How long are these people married for?

If you got a link, cool, I'll stand corrected. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Shajen
03-15-2005, 07:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would probably like to die first, but it would be better for my wife if she died first.

[/ QUOTE ]

I find your last statement interesting. Why do you think this? Seriously, just curious.

pshreck
03-15-2005, 07:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would probably like to die first, but it would be better for my wife if she died first.

[/ QUOTE ]

I find your last statement interesting. Why do you think this? Seriously, just curious.

[/ QUOTE ]

I pictured all the elderly couples I know, including my grandparents. I think the women would be crushed and would be less likely to find happiness on their own. I think the men could tough it out more, and live a more solitary life, while finding happiness.

JaBlue
03-15-2005, 07:58 PM
I would rather die first. I would much rather not have to deal with her death, especially if we're ultra-old and been married a long time. A couple years ago my great grandmother died at 95. My great grandfather is still alive and is 97 now, but it just destroyed him. I don't want to go through that [censored].

Shajen
03-15-2005, 07:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I pictured all the elderly couples I know, including my grandparents. I think the women would be crushed and would be less likely to find happiness on their own. I think the men could tough it out more, and live a more solitary life, while finding happiness.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I gotcha. See, I was thinking like right now, at 30 (for me).

I can dig that.

M2d
03-15-2005, 08:12 PM
If I die first, I wouldn't have to be crushed by losing my wife. however, I assume that she'd be just as crushed if she had to deal with losing me, and i'm not sure I could put her through that.
if it were soon, I'd have to say I'd rather she die first, but that's only for the next 18 years. we're about to have our first child, and I think I'll be a better parent than she will.

The Armchair
03-15-2005, 08:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the stat is something like 50% of marriages end in divorce, which is very different than what you said (5% difference aside).

DoUCY?

david050173
03-15-2005, 09:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It is easier (numerically speaking) for a guy to find a replacment. So many more woman to choose from...

tbach24
03-15-2005, 09:07 PM
Think about it this way...would you want to put them through the pain you're suffering?

Myrtle
03-15-2005, 09:51 PM
agreed........thinking through this situation is somewhat like.........

......the different levels of thinking at a poker table?

Sponger15SB
03-15-2005, 10:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

55% of married people get divorced? Does this mean of marriages less than 5 years old, or what? No one ever seems to be able to come up with a decent stat for that. How long are these people married for?

If you got a link, cool, I'll stand corrected. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/030124.html

codewarrior
03-15-2005, 10:04 PM
I want to die right now, wtf are you people talking about?!! /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Seriously - she has a huge rack and makes more money than I do - I'm hitting that until the end...

(i love you peanut /images/graemlins/tongue.gif)

jakethebake
03-15-2005, 10:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

a man should have a few years of peace and quiet before he goes. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

CCass
03-15-2005, 10:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I want to die right now, wtf are you people talking about?!! /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Seriously - she has a huge rack and makes more money than I do - I'm hitting that until the end...

(i love you peanut /images/graemlins/tongue.gif)

[/ QUOTE ]

This post is useless without pics!!!

Bluffoon
03-15-2005, 10:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
...........If given the choice, would you rather die before or after your wife/husband/significant other?

A friends wife died suddenly & unexpectedly a few days ago and this thought popped into my mind at the wake. Neither position is necessarily correct, methinks......

It appears to depend upon one's perspective.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seeing as i'm divorced the "ex" can die first. Now would be just fine.