PDA

View Full Version : AK against an LP preflop, confusing post flop, 2 hands

jayrutz2
03-15-2005, 06:26 PM
This is my first "HUSH Post", I post mostly in SSH, but am now playing 5/6 max.

Pokerroom 3-6 5 handed

In both hands Hero is in SB, Villain is BB. Have been at table a long time, and have a good read on Villain pre-flop. He plays probably 90% hands unraised re-flop, rarely raises himself (1 every 30+) , coldcalls 2 bets 70%+ and ALLWAYS completes for 2nd bet on BB. Postflop, if there is a scare card (AK), he will fold to a bet, and lead to a check. He will raise with top pair or better, but nothing else. He will play the turn and river basically the same way, though will fold if VERY coordinated board also.

Hand #1
Hero has A /images/graemlins/spade.gif K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
UTG folds, Cutoff folds, Button folds, Hero raises, Villain calls.

Flop 10/images/graemlins/club.gif 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif (2 players, 4 SBs)

Hero bets, villain calls

Turn: J /images/graemlins/club.gif (2P, 3 BBs)

Hero checks, villain checks (Berate me here, but read hand #2 first!)

River 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif (2 P, 3BBs)

Hero bets, villain calls.

Hand #2

Hero has A /images/graemlins/heart.gifK /images/graemlins/heart.gif in SB.

UTG folds, cutoff calls, button folds, Hero raises, villain calls.

Flop 3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif (3Ps, 6SBs)

Hero bets, Villain calls, cutoff folds

Turn J /images/graemlins/spade.gif (2P, 4BBs)

Hero bets, Villain calls

River: A /images/graemlins/club.gif (2 P 6BBs)

Hero bets, villain raises, Hero 3-bets, villain caps. Hero calls.

Comments on both hands, all streets, and what can be learned about this general situation all appreciated...

Alobar
03-15-2005, 06:36 PM
hand 1, I go ahead and bet the turn. You picked up some more outs, the pot is prety small, id rather bet here than check and get lost. If he raises, your river play is super easy anyway, so its all the more reason to bet. After you both check the turn, I don't like a river bet, he isnt folding anything and if he calls hes likely got you beat. The times he calls with a worse ace, dont make up for the all the times he calls with a weak pair

hand 2 I think you get over aggresive on the river. you're read is he only raises top pair or better, but will he ALWAYS raise top pair? I just call his raise unless you are comfortable folding to a cap.

Surfbullet
03-15-2005, 06:54 PM
Hand1:
I bet the turn - since he is so predictable I can value bet the river when I hit, and check (and safely fold to a bet) if I miss.

Hand2:

Once he raises I'm thinking about reverse domination here - the times you get capped here and lose 2bets are going to outweigh the times you 3bet and win an extra bet from an overzealous AT.

Surf

jayrutz2
03-15-2005, 07:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hand1:
I bet the turn - since he is so predictable I can value bet the river when I hit, and check (and safely fold to a bet) if I miss.

[/ QUOTE ] This is the tricky part, a check on the river will induce a bluff bet 100% of the time. I think either check call or bet fold to a raise are better lines here, but they all seem kinda crappy.

The good news is that though I don't like these 2 hands, I was solidly beating this guy with good selective pre-flop raising and hitting pairs and draws, as well as stealing when I missed but an A or K came on flop. He basically had NO preflop calling standards!!!

helpmeout
03-15-2005, 08:02 PM
1. Probably should bet the turn since you have a gutshot and 2 overcards.

2. Horrible, what are you thinking when he raises you on the river? Do you think people are going to go to war against a preflop raiser with just a pair when an ace hits on the river? He probably has 52 or A3 A4 type hand, after he caps I think he probably has 52.

Alobar
03-15-2005, 08:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is the tricky part, a check on the river will induce a bluff bet 100% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I absolutely HATE HATE HATE your river bet here then....why do it?? If you check and he is betting 100% of the time, what does betting possibly accomplish??

or am I confused and you mean he will only bluff bet the river if you bet the turn and then check??

jayrutz2
03-15-2005, 08:44 PM
I meant the latter, probably my poor post not your reading /images/graemlins/smile.gif

jayrutz2
03-15-2005, 08:55 PM
Hand 1: He hit a 5 on the river, playing K5o. MHING
Hand 2: He has 52 and hit the wheel on river. MHING.

So I agree that the river 3-bet on hand 2 was a big error, and that the turn miss on hand 1 was almost as bad...

But I was so tilted on AK that night, it was like if I hit the flop, someone sucked out on me every time. This was probably my 4 and 5th time, and I only won a small pot once.

So my question is, is AK worth less in Shorthanded limit than in full table limit? How do you change your bigslick line for SH'd in genera/?

Seems like the wins are smaller pots, and the loses are always 4.5 or more BBs. Where in a full table, you can probably count on more callers before flop with lots of folding if there is no draw, plus easier to get away from when a draw hits... This would say don't be as aggressive, but of course, that is against all of what seems to work in SH'd games!!!!!

Alobar
03-15-2005, 10:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

So my question is, is AK worth less in Shorthanded limit than in full table limit?

[/ QUOTE ]

Id say actually that is worth more

[ QUOTE ]
Seems like the wins are smaller pots, and the loses are always 4.5 or more BBs. Where in a full table, you can probably count on more callers before flop with lots of folding if there is no draw, plus easier to get away from when a draw hits... This would say don't be as aggressive, but of course, that is against all of what seems to work in SH'd games!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

careful, your starting to sound weak tight...do you also believe kings are ace magnets? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Just using these 2 hands as an example, id say you prolly push to hard when you hit, and not hard enough when you dont. Its a fine line and takes time to learn where the line is. Just keep posting the AK hands you feel you are having probs with. I assure you AK will be one of your biggest money winners once you get a better handle on the SH games, and how to play them.

jayrutz2
03-16-2005, 01:20 PM
Thanks. No, I don't think Ks are A magnets /images/graemlins/smile.gif. It just that AK seems hard for me to play well. I think your assessment is good though, I probably back off too soon when I miss and push too hard when I hit...

I had a similar problem with overcard when I first started playing full tables, so this is Deja vu all over again!