PDA

View Full Version : stars .50/1 worth playing.

bigmac366
03-15-2005, 05:23 PM
i'm trying to improve my short handed play. is this a good place to cut my teeth so to speak with relatively little financial risk? or would i be better off else where?

captZEEbo1
03-15-2005, 07:37 PM
what do you normally play? If you normally play .5/1 ring, then play at any site that offers .5/1 s/h.

bigmac366
03-15-2005, 07:41 PM
i normally play 1/2 at party, but i keep losing my shirt in their 1/2 games.

captZEEbo1
03-15-2005, 08:10 PM
I found s/h harder then ring games. I'd focus on beating ring games before delving into shorthanded. Anyone feel differently?

edit: Looking at your previous posts, you seem to be winning at the $1/2 games and are considering moving up to the $2/4 games? So therefore, I think you meant you are losing your shirt at the $1/2 6max games? That's very probable. Since s/h is a different game than ring games (pushing all your small edges instead of relying almost solely on preflop decisions), you are probably best off playing the .5/1 6max or doing $1/2 ring.

bigmac366
03-15-2005, 08:29 PM
i'm beating 1/2 so far, but the sample size is nearly irrevelant(8K). i'm always looking for ways to improve my play and i think shorthanded play would definitely help. i just dont want to lose a ton while learning the basics and getting comfortable with it. i appreciate the response.

Bluffoon
03-15-2005, 09:13 PM
I spent a little time at .5/1 short at stars when I first tried shorthanded and progressed quickly to 2/4.

I found that the .5/1 stars players are better than the 1/2 short players at party but it is a good low cost option to start. As soon as you feel comfy switch to the party 1/2 short. They are the among the worst poker players I have ever seen.

Alex/Mugaaz
03-16-2005, 11:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I found s/h harder then ring games. I'd focus on beating ring games before delving into shorthanded. Anyone feel differently?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it depends on the level of the game. I think if you are playing vs. absolute calling stations then SH is much easier. The typical super bad player can be bullied relentlessly to the point he'll just call with flopped 2 pair. When players are THIS PASSIVE there are some hard to stomach adjustments to make, but heck, even if you don't make them you have way the best of it.

However, if there is any amount of aggression then ya, ring is easier.