PDA

View Full Version : Table Selection

Mugenlude
03-15-2005, 04:57 PM
So I have been observing tables for about 30 minutes on PP, I load up GT+....

Now what are the best table to play? What kind of VP$IP and PFR am I looking for? How many fish are too many? How many TA are too many?

Then, at what point do you leave a table that you are aren't winning at? Do you have a certain amount of BB's that you judge by?

adsman
03-15-2005, 05:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How many fish are too many?

[/ QUOTE ]

Seventeen.

Winwood
03-15-2005, 05:14 PM
I usually look for at least 2 or 3 fish (VPIP>50%)...thats usually enough to get me to sit. The only other stat I worry about is the table VPIP average - once that drops below 30% I start getting restless (unless there are some real donators). But what do I know - I can't even beat .50/1.

KingOtter
03-15-2005, 06:31 PM
100% VPIP, 0% PFR would be an ideal table.

But since you can't find those, as close to it as possible is nice. I can tolerate a table 35% VPIP and up.. but pfr is as low as you can get it.

KO

MrWookie47
03-15-2005, 06:56 PM
Leaving a table because you're in the red is being way too results-oriented. Are you losing money because your sets got sucked out by a donater who three times has hit his runner-runner straight, or are you losing money because the three TAGs sitting to your left are taking you to the zoo?

Speaking of TAGs, if I get a even a single TAG on my left, I start thinking about leaving, but one or two across the table or on my right is tolerable if the rest of the table is good.

gvibes
03-15-2005, 07:11 PM
Tables are a lot tighter at 1/2. No fun at all. I play mostly late afternoon, early evening, and anything over 30 is nice.

I mostly look for fishies. I'd take a table with a couple of donators and a bunch of TAGs over a table where everyone has a VPIP of 30.

KaiShin
03-15-2005, 10:53 PM
Bisonbison's Evaluating Sites/Levels/Games and Tables thread (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=smallholdem&Number=1567311 &Forum=All_Forums&Words=table%20selection&Searchpa ge=0&Limit=25&Main=1567311&Search=true&where=sub&N ame=5524&daterange=1&newerval=1&newertype=y&olderv al=&oldertype=&bodyprev=#Post1567311)

Mugenlude
03-16-2005, 03:31 PM
That helped, as well as added some other knowledge. Thanks. It sounds as if I'm selecting tables as recommended already, the seat selection (if available) is something I'll try applying.

As far as deciding when to leave a table...
I think most of the tables on PP has at least 2 or 3 weak players and is beatable. However, when I win at most tables (say 80%), then I'll catch table with similar composition and I'll be losing I think I might want to leave the table. Obviously, you can't win all the time ---> but at what point do you say, "I'm just not winning here" and move on to another table. It might have to do with bad cards, bad beats from loose players on the river, etc., but you feel you should be beating these people....

WHEN do you try to call it quits, even though you see weaker players at the table.

KaiShin
03-16-2005, 03:50 PM
I leave when I'm done. I put time limits on my sessions, not win/loss limits. If I'm going to play for 2 hours, then I'm done after 2 hours. Leaving a table because you're losing is too results oriented. Of course if you're losing because you're not playing optimally that's another matter.

Mugenlude
03-16-2005, 05:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Leaving a table because you're losing is too results oriented. Of course if you're losing because you're not playing optimally that's another matter.

[/ QUOTE ]Obviously, I could be playing badly, however, the other 2 tables I'm playing at the time I'll be averaging 10+ BB/100. Not that it means I'm play good, however, I'm playing winning poker (+8BB) in over 3k hands logged in PT.

So you are saying that you just sit down at whatever table and never leave unless your time expires, or you go broke?

KaiShin
03-16-2005, 06:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So you are saying that you just sit down at whatever table and never leave unless your time expires, or you go broke?

[/ QUOTE ]
Not at all. If the table texture changes for the worse, ie. table average VPIP dips below 30%, or a donator leaves, then I will switch tables. You'll find that stable tables tend to drop in VPIP over time, as players at the table get used to each other's tendencies. That's a good time to get up and find a new table.

Overall though, I will play for the time limit I set myself when I start, although not necessarily at the same tables the whole time.