PDA

View Full Version : Two week challenge

SomethingClever
03-15-2005, 04:48 PM
Someone made a post in Psychology about not checking your balance after a session.

If you're results-oriented like me, that's really hard to do.

I am going to try not looking at the balance for the rest of the month.

Should be easy to sit at tables without noticing the balance by just hitting return. I won't look at my PT stats either.

This is just in my regular 1/2 6-max game on Empire. If I chase any bonuses on other sites, the challenge doesn't apply there.

I will report back in two weeks!

Alobar
03-15-2005, 05:10 PM
interesting....I'll be very curious to hear how it goes.

Heh, hopefully you dont hit some huge downswing, and then go to buy into a table and not have any money! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

mcb
03-15-2005, 05:17 PM
This sounds like a great idea. I would try it too but I keep stats on all of my sessions in Excel. I dont know how I would keep track of those sessions.

Gom Jabbar
03-15-2005, 05:23 PM
What would be the point on not checking your account balance?

SomethingClever
03-15-2005, 05:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What would be the point on not checking your account balance?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hopefully it will help me focus on my play and be less anxious about results.

I can tell this is going to be a good experiment because I think it's going to be really hard.

Gom Jabbar
03-15-2005, 06:26 PM
Makes sense, I'll give it a try.

dr_venkman
03-16-2005, 03:23 PM
I'm sorry, but a poker player not checking his balance makes about as much sense as a day trader not looking at the stock market.

Money is our business. I don't know about the rest of you but when I'm losing it, I want to know today -- not in two weeks from now.

SomethingClever
03-16-2005, 03:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm sorry, but a poker player not checking his balance makes about as much sense as a day trader not looking at the stock market.

Money is our business. I don't know about the rest of you but when I'm losing it, I want to know today -- not in two weeks from now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh... I've played 100,000 hands. I know I'm a winning player. Whether I swing up or down on a particular day doesn't really matter.

I will continue to pay attention to individual hands and situations.

crunchy1
03-16-2005, 05:14 PM
IIRC that post in psychology was in reference to not looking at the cashier window during your session. I think it may be foolish not to check before and/or after a session. Imagine (unlikely but possible) that your account was hacked and money was slowly being drained out. It would suck not to notice this until 2 weeks from now.

Grisgra
03-16-2005, 05:19 PM
Good luck . . . I couldn't handle a 2-hour challenge . . .

SomethingClever
03-17-2005, 12:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
IIRC that post in psychology was in reference to not looking at the cashier window during your session.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I think the OP referenced not looking at your account for a whole month.

ALso, if my account was hacked, I presume my money would be gone and I wouldn't be able to bring enough money to the tables. I 4-table with 50 BB at each table.

*update*

It's been two days and this is already driving me crazy. Partially because I know I'm getting crushed, and I've been getting crushed all month long.

My de facto poker coach came and took a look at some hands the other day, and I seem to be playing pretty well. Just getting owned. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

I still think this will be a good thing.

jtr
03-17-2005, 01:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Respectfully, Dr. Venkman, I think you're wrong and that your analogy is off-target. The parallel for a day-trader not looking at the stock market would be a poker player not practicing any game selection and not watching for changes in the texture / fishiness of the games he was sitting in. And, just to be clear, no-one is suggesting that that would be a good idea.

Just like the poker player, the day trader should know when he's making trades that are +EV. If either person needs to check their bank balance every few hours in an attempt to confirm that they're doing the right thing, then they are still learning and probably shouldn't be messing around with serious amounts of money.

SomethingClever
03-23-2005, 02:54 PM
*One week update*

This was really hard for the first few days, but now I'm pretty used to not checking my balance.

I did check my balance a few times on Party as I was clearing the bonus, but that was almost unavoidable as I needed to see my raked hands status. Also I specified when I started out that I was allowed to check my balance on other sites while clearing a bonus (my main site is Empire these days).

I have not so much as peeked at my Empire balance. (A fully separate bankroll from my bonus bankroll).

I also turned off PV and GT+ for the duration of the challenge, and I think it's helped me focus on the action more closely.

Right now, I'm mostly curious about how many hands I've played this month. I started off on a 300 BB downswing, my first ever, which is partly what inspired this challenge.

I'm pretty sure I've made the 300 BB back and then some, but I really have no idea for sure! /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I'll be playing a bit more this week, then hitting Vegas this weekend. I'll report in on Monday with a combination quest update/trip report.

Cheers!

xpander
03-23-2005, 03:30 PM
That's great news, keep it up.

Alobar
03-23-2005, 03:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That's great news, keep it up.

[/ QUOTE ]