PDA

View Full Version : Live Sit and Go advice

JP Rocks
03-15-2005, 04:42 PM
I've been playing with some friends for a few months, fairly low stakes, and we are having our first tournament tonight (essentially a sit and go- I think there will be 10 or 11 there). I play online a bit, mostly party 0.25-0.5 and $10 sngs, with moderate success at this stage. Im just wondering if there is any advice out there for adapting from an online sng to a live sng, or to the same essential principles apply?

Namebejed7
03-15-2005, 05:55 PM
This should probably be in home poker, but I don't have enough posts to police anyone.

You left out a lot of key details about the game, as most of the home games I've played in have bad structures.

For anyone to respond to this with any advice you will have to give starting stack size, blind levels, time or hand intervals between increases (or if blinds increase everytime a player is eliminated) payouts, etc.

From my experience, home tourneys either increase blinds whenever I whine enough or when a player is eliminated. I would suggest a time limit if you are the only experienced tourney player. As far as strategy in the games I describe, I play as if it were a $25 NL ring game.

skipperbob
03-15-2005, 08:14 PM
Cold-deck 'em twice.....hold-out Aces thrice...see how much you can be short on the bets when you splash the pot...Leave early...Stiff the Host /images/graemlins/grin.gif

dfscott
03-15-2005, 09:01 PM
I play a live game similar to this once a week. The main differences I've noticed are:

- A lot more pre-flop limping.
- A lot more calling of raises.
- A lot more people playing sheriff.

YMMV

Bigwig
03-15-2005, 10:12 PM
It depends on the game, but I've found most of these home games to be signifcantly worse than online play for a comparable buy-in.

Lots of limpers. So, early on, limp with many speculative hands, as you're unlikely to face a raiser behind, and wait to hit flops and value bet the monkeys into submission.

People will chase. A lot. So it's not as imperative to bet the pot, or make huge raises, cause they'll come along anyway. Only do this when you feel like you're SURE you have the best hand, and there are a lot of draws & players.

When the blinds get big, steal even MORE than you do online. They're likely to have little clue as to what you're doing.

Pay more attention to get reads on players. It's easier to remember the face and play live. Use your previous experience against the players to your advantage.