PDA

View Full Version : Not enough Best Ofs here lately... QotSA

Patrick del Poker Grande
03-15-2005, 02:33 PM
So... QotSA's new album is coming out next week and in honor of this mighty event, I submit to you the following poll:

MEbenhoe
03-15-2005, 02:50 PM
I love Queens of the Stoneage. Didn't think there were a lot of others out there who did. As for best song, I went with Go With the Flow, but every time I hear Little Sister it moves up on my list. Hopefully their new album will be as good as the last.

riffraff
03-15-2005, 02:51 PM
What is QotSA?

MEbenhoe
03-15-2005, 02:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What is QotSA?

[/ QUOTE ]

I knew someone would eventually ask that /images/graemlins/grin.gif

istewart
03-15-2005, 02:54 PM
You don't have enough songs on there IMHO, but "Go With the Flow" and "Better Living Through Chemistry" are the best you've listed.

"If Only" is probably my favorite.

SackUp
03-15-2005, 02:56 PM
Queens of the Stone Age for the guy who asked above...if you couldn't tell by the second posters first couple words.

Anyhow I voted no, but not b/c I don't like the group, but I'm not going to get it NEXT week when I already have it today /images/graemlins/smile.gif

astroglide
03-15-2005, 02:58 PM
these guys are not nearly well known enough to be known on an acronym-name-basis around here

stabn
03-15-2005, 03:03 PM
I'm not a fan. I do own one of their albums that i picked up on a friends recommendation. It's definitely my 'least played' cd ever.

Patrick del Poker Grande
03-15-2005, 03:03 PM
I can't believe how many people don't know that QotSA is Queens of the Stone Age or don't even know who they are at all. Oh well, there it is.

QotSA = Queens of the Stone Age

istewart
03-15-2005, 03:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
these guys are not nearly well known enough to be known on an acronym-name-basis around here

[/ QUOTE ]

This is clearly wrong, regardless of whether you're a fan or not.

astroglide
03-15-2005, 03:43 PM
you are clearly wrong. they are not a well-known band.

jakethebake
03-15-2005, 03:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no idea who they are....and who is Keane?

AngryCola
03-15-2005, 04:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you are clearly wrong. they are not a well-known band.

[/ QUOTE ]

You would have to define well-known for me.
Because they completely fit my definition of well-known.

If a band gets played on the radio as much as they were, it qualifies. They might not be as well-known as some other bands/groups, but are far from unknowns.

astroglide
03-15-2005, 04:43 PM
i had to go to rhapsody to figure out who they were. the only song out of their 'sample list' that i recognized was 'the lost art of keeping a secret' and that's 5 years old. and i would bet that most people who listened to alt radio at that time would be unable to name the band even while listening to that song.

well-known is well-known. pearl jam. u2. rolling stones. madonna. britney spears. snoop dogg. etc. people who when the radio plays their songs, they know who it is. not difficult. queens of the stone age are known, not well-known. thus acronyming them is wrong.

daryn
03-15-2005, 04:45 PM
astro = correct

even though i personally do know who they are and what the acronym stands for

Yeti
03-15-2005, 04:47 PM
Strange.

No One Knows was pretty huge really. There's quite a difference between 'world famous' and 'well known'.

Besides, acronyms of five letters are generally pretty easy to figure out, even if you don't own all their albums.

Patrick del Poker Grande
03-15-2005, 04:47 PM
The song I'd expect everyone to know, and that I'm surprised doesn't have more votes, is No One Knows. It was pretty big when it was out. Appropriate enough title, apparently. For the record, I've never had any problems referring to them as QotSA in the past.

AngryCola
03-15-2005, 04:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Strange.

No One Knows was pretty huge really. There's quite a difference between 'world famous' and 'well known'

[/ QUOTE ]

That's my take on it, but I don't think there is really a 'correct' or 'incorrect' answer to this, as Daryn suggests.

It's all a matter of opinion, and I respect astro's.

daryn
03-15-2005, 04:50 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />

Strange.

No One Knows was pretty huge really. There's quite a difference between 'world famous' and 'well known'

[/ QUOTE ]

That's my take on it, but I don't think there is really a 'correct' or 'incorrect' answer to this, as Daryn suggests.

It's all a matter of opinion, and I respect astro's.

[/ QUOTE ]

really? i'd think there is a correct or incorrect answer. i mean, i guess it's all about what you consider well known, that i will concede. but some things are definitely well known and some aren't right?

astroglide
03-15-2005, 04:55 PM
i was 'picking big' with those other ones but there are lots of other in-the-middle bands which i would describe as well known but not madonna class. i think fans grossly overestimate how RECOGNIZABLE bands like queens of the stone age, the killers, interpol, etc are. they're 'it' bands for radio periods but all muddle together for most listeners.

AngryCola
03-15-2005, 04:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]

really? i'd think there is a correct or incorrect answer. i mean, i guess it's all about what you consider well known, that i will concede.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you hit the nail on the head. It's just a differening opinion of what's well-known.

[ QUOTE ]
but some things are definitely well known and some aren't right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course!
I just don't think this is one of those cut-and-dry cases.
Many people could consider them well-known, and many obviously don't. But I don't really see how either of them are 'wrong'.

Patrick del Poker Grande
03-15-2005, 04:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't really see how either of them are 'wrong'.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's simple. Whichever side I'm on is 'wrong' and Daryn will take the other and declare it to be 'right'. I'm apparently on the side that they're well-known enough to be able to acronym the name. That's clearly wrong. How could it get any more cut and dry than that?

For the record, I wouldn't say QotSA is huge, but they're certainly somewhat well known and a majority of the people I've talked to either know or can figure out pretty quickly what QotSA is and they know at least No One Knows. Apparently OOT is different and QotSA isn't well-known in this particular subset of society.

daryn
03-15-2005, 05:05 PM
It's simple. Whichever side I'm on is 'wrong' and Daryn will take the other and call it 'right'.

[/ QUOTE ]

this has nothing to do with you directly

astroglide
03-15-2005, 05:08 PM
i actually know that song, i've heard it a fair amount. my gf listens to st louis' primary alt rock station 100% of the time and drives a lot.

---

you know that song with the bouncy guitar where the guy goes 'and i reeeeeaaaaaaliiizze a looooooot' (the chorus)

eh nope

hm just a sec

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/clipserve/B00006F83Y001002/0/102-9462317-5005747

did that work?

yes yes

know the song now?

yes

know who the artist is?

nope

you've heard the song quite a bit though right?

yes a lot!

---

that song is definitely recognizable but the band isn't. it's the difference between well-known songs and well-known bands.

Boris
03-15-2005, 05:10 PM
Black Sabbath rules.

daryn is right
03-15-2005, 05:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
astro = correct

even though i personally do know who they are and what the acronym stands for

[/ QUOTE ]

he's right guys, listen to daryn, who says to listen to astro. most people have no clue who these guys are, they're not acronym worthy.

AngryCola
03-15-2005, 05:14 PM
[Fry's voice] I don't like you. [/Fry's voice]

astroglide
03-15-2005, 05:16 PM
from where is that dude in the daryn is right guy's avatar (daryn's old avatar)?

Patrick del Poker Grande
03-15-2005, 05:19 PM
That's Franky [censored] Four Fingers from Snatch.

jakethebake
03-15-2005, 05:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
from where is that dude in the daryn is right guy's avatar (daryn's old avatar)?

[/ QUOTE ]

are you speaking english?

daryn
03-15-2005, 05:49 PM
do you have any idea why they call him franky four fingers doug? well, because he makes stupid bets with dangerous people. and when he doesn't pay up, they give him the chop doug, and i'm not talking about his [censored] foreskin either.

astroglide
03-15-2005, 06:43 PM
from where
is that dude
(daryn's old avatar)
?

i'm pretty sure it's all correct english even if it looks jumbled

daryn
03-15-2005, 06:51 PM
it's correct (no surprise)

Jack of Arcades
03-15-2005, 06:54 PM