PDA

View Full Version : A&E's "Intervention"

bdk3clash
03-15-2005, 01:42 PM
What a powerful and disturbing show. It's a documentary series that focuses on two addicts each episode. The first part of the show is just following the addict around and observing their behavior, and then they spring a professionally-supervised intervention on them.

The first episode featured a formerly successful mortgage broker turned secretly-homeless coke addict and a 27-year old girl still living at home and heavily addicted to opiates and crack. There were some pretty powerful scenes, including the opiate addict stealing medication from her dying father. During the intervention, despite having been specifically warned not to mention any reasons for his daughter to refuse going into treatment, the father asked how long rehab would take. It was amazing to see him sabotage the process so blatantly.

The second episode featured a gambling addict and an actress addicted to shopping. The latter seems like something people would make fun of and not take seriously, but she had tons of problems including depression, anxiety, OCD, panic attacks, and agoraphobia, and it was pretty clear her shopping was indeed an addiction.

The gambling addict was obviously (to me, anyway) incredibly depressed and spiraling downward. He agreed to treatment but the epilogue mentioned that against his doctors' advice he left after three weeks and went to live with friends. I'd have to guess things are going to get much worse for him before he gets better, if he ever does.

Since I've never really dealt with substance abuse issues personally but do gamble a lot, the gambling segment was pretty intense, though all of the people featured are fascinating. The show is well-done and worth checking out.

Benal
03-15-2005, 02:58 PM
I meant to watch this but missed it. It plays on Sundays, right?

bdk3clash
03-15-2005, 06:32 PM
Sundays, yes, but I'm sure it gets replayed throughout the week. I have TiVo so I couldn't tell you the exact air time, but I'm sure the A&E web stie has the info.

Boris
03-15-2005, 06:47 PM
The previews looked good. I don't have tivo and havn't been able to catch it yet. Also check out The First 48. Awesome reality show about murder investigations.

pshreck
03-15-2005, 06:48 PM
Remember the movie Stand and Deliver? Remember Ana Delgado, the small, quiet character whose father didnt want her to go to school?

The person with the shopping problem in episode 2 is her. I thought that was weird.

Anyways, how entertaining was the gambling guy? That was really good television, watching someone who is so pathetic and delusional. His reasoning was laughable.

Lazymeatball
03-15-2005, 06:55 PM
Does this show allow me to laugh at other peoples problems like most MTV reality shows, or I would it guilt me into feeling sorry for people? because I really don't have enough emotional energy for the latter.

J.R.
03-15-2005, 06:58 PM
I didn't find the show to be humorous, although it was captivating.

Ulysses
03-15-2005, 08:29 PM
I didn't think the show was quite as good as the trailers made it out to be, but it was still very good and pretty intense.

I think the gambler is not going to make it.

In the first episode, I felt the problems were pretty straighforward (as straightforward as addiction gets). In the second episode, it really felt like the addictions were symptoms of much deeper problems (which they discussed re: the shopper, but didn't seem to address re: the gambler).

To whoever asked, I think you're more likely to feel bad for these people than to laugh at them.

colgin
03-15-2005, 08:37 PM
Thanks for the headsup. I will try to check this out.

NoTalent
03-17-2005, 04:27 PM
The gambler guy seemed pretty out of touch with reality. He didn't like to take responsibility for his actions and it seems like his parents have been bailing him out his entire life... Sad really

billymonk
03-17-2005, 05:27 PM
Really nice post.

cardcounter0
03-17-2005, 05:30 PM
Could the gambling problem guy fit into a pair of pants?

radek2166
03-17-2005, 05:37 PM
What time and day is this on?

NoTalent
03-17-2005, 05:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What time and day is this on?

[/ QUOTE ]
http://www.aetv.com/intervention/