PDA

View Full Version : A Problem Hand for me

Maniac420
03-15-2005, 01:31 PM
I have been running bad lately in tournaments, and I have some theories about why it is so. Here is a hand I recently played:

$20+2 Blinds 150/300

UTG has t2000
BB has t1200
SB has t7000
Hero has t3500

BB, UTG, and SB have all been playing tight/aggressive. Small stacks have been stealing a lot and getting away with it.

Hero is dealt A/images/graemlins/club.gif 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

UTG folds, Hero raises All-In...

Is this the right move here? Is it an overbet into the big stack? I am wondering what others do in a simliar situation.

ZebraAss
03-15-2005, 01:41 PM
I dont think it is the right move. ICM might say otherwise but I think there is a better sport to get your money in. A raise would be fine but dont commit yourself if you do. This is not a strong hand by any means.

I think the blinds are too low at this point to risk doubling up short stacks for 450 chips when the big stacks arent losing any chips to the small stacks in this particular hand. If they call you are dominated unless you get lucky with KQ.

I fold here(I might be wrong)

therock
03-15-2005, 02:20 PM
A push is too risky with the SB having T7000 chips. I think you have to min or two unit raise (and fold to agression from the SB) or just fold. I'm leaning toward a fold.

Maniac420
03-15-2005, 02:27 PM
I think I had still had the short stack mindset when I made this move. (I had previously been doing stop and does with crappy holdings and managed to crawl up to 3000). I will replay this hand with pokertracker and see if this is the case.

Unarmed
03-15-2005, 02:28 PM
Fold.
A6o is just below Q4s in terms hands you want to be pushing with, mostly because you're not getting calls by any dominated aces.

If you must raise, just raise 3xBB.

Newt_Buggs
03-15-2005, 02:34 PM
I would definitly raise the minimum here (something i rarely do this late) and automatically pot commit myself against the BB. I usually prefer to push at this point, but by raising the min you can get away from the hand easily if the SB wakes up with a hand. You also automatically pot commit yourself against the BB so that he can't outplay you by raising you off your hand like an aggressive player might try (ie. once you raise the min you are not going to fold to the SB reraise all in or call/push on the flop)

curtains
03-15-2005, 02:42 PM
One interesting, yet possibly irrelevant note, is that if this was a winner take all satellite, folding would be a mistake for sure. However when you are paying the top 3 spots, it's a lot easier to fold in this spot.

ZebraAss
03-15-2005, 02:54 PM
Sorry I mis-read the hand.

Since the big stack in SB...this is a definate fold for me. Let him take care of the shorties. It will make your job a lot easier.

Mr_J
03-15-2005, 03:26 PM
SB it TAG, do you think he is a good player??

If so, he could easily come in over the top of a small raise, sensing weakness.

Also someone said to let him take BB out. If he's smart, he doesn't want to take shortstack out unless he has cards he just HAS TO play. He easily outchips everyone and can run over the table by keeping shortstack alive.

This is a $22 though....