PDA

View Full Version : Is there a big difference in $33 vs. $22?

Vee Quiva
03-15-2005, 12:52 PM
I stepped up to play in the $33 Party Poker single table tournaments. I played 2 tables last night and finished 6th both times. I didn't have much to work with card wise, so I am not upset with my play.

What I did notice is that the play was considerably tighter. At the $11 and $22 there is usually one bust out at the first level and one or two bust outs and the second level. In the $33 everyone survived until level 3. In both I had 7 players left at level 5.

Is this normal?

Do you need to bluff more often to beat these games and move these tight players off their hands?

Iamafish
03-15-2005, 01:46 PM
Thats what happens to me at the $5 and $10's at pokerroom.

At pokerroom.com Iam able to beat the $20-$30's regularly. I think its normal for someone to get out at 3-4 levels, I dont really expect anyone getting out earlier. I dont think ive ever seen someone out in the first level in $22.

You should be playing tight throughout levels 3-4 anyway, so I think you need to make that adjustment, if your not already.

Its always been my experience that 20's and 30's are pretty much the same skill level. So maybe those games were just a little tighter than usual.

Id also like to make a comment about how I couldnt beat $10 and $5 at pokerroom.com, those who didnt believe me that I was winning at $22's. I noticed after playing a lot more of the $5-$10's, at i think its level 6, blinds 200-400, there were always 4-5 players still left, often even at 300-600. Everyone gets incredibly tight, and will pretty much either fold or go all-in, to try and hit big, so ofcourse you'll get sucked out if you dont get your cards.

At that level its usually heads up! At most 3 players. Party is a lot different, must just be my expiriences.

Elektrik
03-15-2005, 02:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Do you need to bluff more often to beat these games and move these tight players off their hands?

[/ QUOTE ]

I laughed out loud when I read this.

No. They aren't folding. And that's a good thing.

Iamafish
03-15-2005, 02:05 PM
They were folding there, 7 players at level 5? Thats 150-300 blinds?

Elektrik
03-15-2005, 02:13 PM
I was talking in general.

That's a rare occurence that so many players last that long, even at the $100's, and I'm assuming the $100's aren't better than the $30's.

OP was talking about pushing people off hands, by which he seemed to be implying post flop. You'll find it very hard to push certain people off hands....they like to call.

Obviously, you should be stealing blinds more though.

Degen
03-15-2005, 03:26 PM
I own the 33's...40% ITM, 30% ROI...it is insanely easy. This is the strategy.

Play as tight as possible until the blinds hit 50/100...should be around 7 players at this point. Sometimes more, sometimes less. By this time you should have around 1k in chips. Begin make subtle moves in late position when its been folded to you. Pump it to 3XBB w/ hands like ATo and KJo...maybe suited connectors, also small pairs. Pick up some blinds.

Once the blinds hit 100-200 you should have 5 or 6 players. Go absolutely bonkers from the second the blinds jump. Move all in constantly. I MEAN EVERY THIRD HAND IF THE OPPORTUNITY PRESENTS ITSELF!!! If folded to you, or if you are UTG...move in with any two cards if the people in the blinds have 800-1400 in chips. If they have more or less than this, proceed with caution.

This will do one of two things:

1: Make you the chip leader or a serious contender by the time you are 3-handed

or

2: Bust you out somewhat prematurely. This happens but its more than made up for by your increased win-rate.

Thats basically it. Continue the maniac style 3-handed AND heads up. You'll amass a huge stack and when you are called...you'll suckout more than you think

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Good luck!

Degen

pokerswami
03-16-2005, 01:09 AM
Degen:

I'm new to the SitNGo forum so give me a break and tell me if you're being serious or facetious.

Thanks.

Maybe I should ask everyone else instead of you?

Degen
03-17-2005, 02:51 PM
/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

all the big winners here know the answer to your question

/images/graemlins/cool.gif /images/graemlins/cool.gif /images/graemlins/cool.gif /images/graemlins/cool.gif

HollywoodDB
03-17-2005, 03:00 PM
I played 22 and 33 and have moved up to 54. I noticed ZERO difference in skill level from 22 to 54.

TheUsher
03-17-2005, 09:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I played 22 and 33 and have moved up to 54. I noticed ZERO difference in skill level from 22 to 54.

[/ QUOTE ]

This has got to be a joke. Play a bunch more of the 55's and you'll see that they'll smack you in the ass on the bubble more than the 22's. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Benholio
03-17-2005, 10:38 PM
My theory on the differences in levels (to be taken with a grain of salt past $55, where I have no experience):

If you categorize all players as either really bad, bad, or decent and up, you will notice that they are pretty similar at all levels. The difference is the distribution of these players. A $5/$10 might have 5 really bad players, 4 bad players, and <hero>. At a higher level you might still see several bad or really bad players, and since they are just as bad, you assume those levels are just as easy to beat, but they aren't. What you don't notice is that instead of being the only decent player at most tables, there are 1 or 2 other decent players. This continues until you reach the highest levels where there are the most decent players per table, and the decent players are better than the decent players at low levels. (which isn't as important as the number of bad players, IMO... I'd rather play against 8 bad players + gigabet than 7 bad players and 2 run-of-the-mill 2+2'ers).

In the last month or so, I've played roughly 500 each $22 and $33 sng's, and I definately noticed more decent players in the $33's, although the bad players were still the vast majority and played just as badly as the players at the $22's.

I think I rambled there, but oh well.

Mr_J
03-17-2005, 10:43 PM
"I think I rambled there, but oh well"

I think that's a pretty good explanation. BTW, saw you at the $22s a few days ago or so.

Benholio
03-17-2005, 10:45 PM
Ah yes I've been in the $22's this week. Trying to complete Raptor's challenge, but I'm only just hitting 300. Either going to not make it, or play 20 hours in the next 2 days. :P

Are you Mr. J or something similar there?

Mr_J
03-17-2005, 11:05 PM
"Ah yes I've been in the $22's this week"

I'm gonna drop down there myself for a week a 2. Played 90 or so there over a few days and killed them. Felt good to know what winning was like again.

"or play 20 hours in the next 2 days"

I'd do that if it wasn't the weekend (it's friday arvo here).

"Are you Mr. J or something similar there?"

Nope. We actually got down to 3 handed. All I remember is that I had AA and tried to trap both of you, you both fell for it but he outdrew me or hit the flop and we finished 2nd and 3rd. Not gonna post my screename just yet since I've been whinging about outdraws in the PP chat and how my aces have been cracked X times in a row /images/graemlins/grin.gif I'll give you a holla? if I run into you though.

Benholio
03-18-2005, 12:08 AM
Ah, you both cracked my 69o that hand! Lucky SOBs!
Looks like we also played one other tourney together, where you finished 4th and I finished 2nd.

Mr_J
03-18-2005, 12:16 AM
"where you finished 4th and I finished 2nd."

Grrr.

From what I remember I just got outflopped, trying to be cute by calling his PF raise???

Benholio
03-18-2005, 12:19 AM
The tourney where you came in 4th was a standard steal with A2 and run into AT and bust out kind of thing. The aces hand you got beat by K8 when he flopped a K and rivered an 8.