PDA

View Full Version : Small set against 2 Scare Cards

clpokerguy
03-15-2005, 12:47 PM
A friend says I should have been more aggressive on the turn. What do you think?

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. CO posts a blind of $0.5.
UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, SB calls, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (9 SB) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB caps</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (12.50 BB) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 caps</font>, SB calls, Hero calls, UTG calls.

River: (28.50 BB) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls.

Final Pot: 31.50 BB

Peter Harris
03-15-2005, 12:50 PM
i would be more aggro on the turn. when the preflop raiser caps the turn i may slow down fearing QQ or JJ, but i think you crapped out too early.

adsman
03-15-2005, 12:51 PM
I'm sorry, I'm confused. Which are the scare cards? Cause I don't see anything scary apart from the shock the other players got when you showed a set.

dkernler
03-15-2005, 12:52 PM
I see no reason to slow down on any street. Why call the flop bet? It's a big field, already 5 BB in the pot - I just go to war with my set. I might slow down after a turn 3-bet from UTG+1. (QQ or JJ become possible then, but AA, KK, AQ, AJ... are all possibilities.)

Anyone think that's too aggressive?

LALDAAS
03-15-2005, 12:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i would be more aggro on the turn. when the preflop raiser caps the turn i may slow down fearing QQ or JJ, but i think you crapped out too early.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree you lost some bets here.

adsman
03-15-2005, 12:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A friend says I should have been more aggressive on the turn. What do you think?

[/ QUOTE ]

You didn't need to be. You got stuck between two players in a raising war with the most probable best hand. It was just unfortunate that they didn't keep it up on the river, (K /images/graemlins/club.gifT /images/graemlins/club.gif maybe?). But a 31BB pot? That's a nice pay day.

DoctorDrew
03-15-2005, 01:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You didn't need to be. You got stuck between two players in a raising war with the most probable best hand. It was just unfortunate that they didn't keep it up on the river, (K /images/graemlins/club.gifT /images/graemlins/club.gif maybe?). But a 31BB pot? That's a nice pay day.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I might have raised on the river though, fearing UTG+1 might slowdown with the deuce falling. Plus it really would make them wonder what the heck I have, so they call and I pick up a couple of extra bets.

dkernler
03-15-2005, 01:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You didn't need to be. You got stuck between two players in a raising war with the most probable best hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
What about on the flop? Is it worth the risk to smooth call and hope UTG+1 keeps betting for us?

DoctorDrew
03-15-2005, 01:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You didn't need to be. You got stuck between two players in a raising war with the most probable best hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
What about on the flop? Is it worth the risk to smooth call and hope UTG+1 keeps betting for us?

[/ QUOTE ]

With this board, I think it is worth that risk. UTG was the PF raiser, probably this hit him somewhere, and I think there is a good probability (if the read is correct) that he'll raise this up.

davelin
03-15-2005, 01:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Which are the scare cards?

[/ QUOTE ]

adsman
03-15-2005, 01:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't get me wrong, I think that you played this hand badly. You just got lucky that 3 other players had hands. But I almost always fastplay sets.

dkernler
03-15-2005, 01:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Don't get me wrong, I think that you played this hand badly. You just got lucky that 3 other players had hands. But I almost always fastplay sets.

[/ QUOTE ]
(I didn't play the hand, but I don't think this was directed at me.)

Regardless, I just wanted to bring this up. I'm with you - I almost always fast-play my sets. Especially low ones like this.

adsman
03-15-2005, 01:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
(I didn't play the hand, but I don't think this was directed at me.)

Regardless, I just wanted to bring this up. I'm with you - I almost always fast-play my sets. Especially low ones like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oops. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif Sorry about that dude. I'm home sick in bed and not myself. sniff sniff.

Thigh
03-15-2005, 01:47 PM
I think he's talking about the straight 2-3-4 on the board. Maybe he's talking about all the aggression with a Q and J on the board, thinking someone has a higher set.

BiffMan
03-15-2005, 03:24 PM
You wouldn't want to assume there's a higher set out there, would you? Someone firing away could just as likely have an overpair or two pair. With this many people in the pot, you might be beat by one of them, but likely the other two are contributing dead money on the river. Guess I'd keep jamming it and if there's a higher set out there, then oh well...

riffraff
03-15-2005, 03:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm sorry, I'm confused. Which are the scare cards? Cause I don't see anything scary apart from the shock the other players got when you showed a set.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the good laugh

btspider
03-15-2005, 03:55 PM
flop call sucks. UTG+1 now has odds to catch his gutshot with AK. and if he has AA/KK/AQ, he's often 3-betting and giving you all kinds of possible lines on the flop/turn.