PDA

View Full Version : Who Here Reads Grisham?

theBruiser500
03-15-2005, 12:37 PM
I've never read Grisham to be honest but I'm pretty sure it's the same sort of thing as the Da Vanci code and I'm pretty sure it sucks bad. Who here reads his books? Do the really smart people around here read him too?

istewart
03-15-2005, 12:40 PM
Well, one can read books like that occasionally and still be considered okay in my book. They're "on the beach" reads, when you have a day or so to kick around. But anyone that only reads books you can find in a CVS is a lit-noob.

DcifrThs
03-15-2005, 12:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've never read Grisham to be honest but I'm pretty sure it's the same sort of thing as the Da Vanci code and I'm pretty sure it sucks bad. Who here reads his books? Do the really smart people around here read him too?

[/ QUOTE ]

good time passing reads. i also like scott turow. intelligence is not measured by the books you choose to read but how you internalize and utilize the information therein...

-Barron

Boris
03-15-2005, 12:43 PM
Grisham Blows.

istewart
03-15-2005, 12:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

good time passing reads. i also like scott turow. intelligence is not measured by the books you choose to read but how you internalize and utilize the information therein...

-Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you read those books with Fabio on the cover.

DcifrThs
03-15-2005, 12:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, one can read books like that occasionally and still be considered okay in my book. They're "on the beach" reads, when you have a day or so to kick around. But anyone that only reads books you can find in a CVS is a lit-noob.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed...and the 50 pages of dostoyevsky's notes from the underground is a MUST READ FOR EVERYONE

-Barron

Soul Daddy
03-15-2005, 12:47 PM
I have read "The Rainmaker" and "The Partner". I enjoyed both of them, but that was many years ago, before my literary tastes were as rigid and defined.

TStoneMBD
03-15-2005, 12:50 PM
if you really want to read philisophical novels, i really recommend "atlas shrugged."

benfranklin
03-15-2005, 12:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The really smart people don't decide that a book "sucks bad" without reading a few pages /images/graemlins/blush.gif

Paluka
03-15-2005, 12:59 PM
Why are you wasting your time reading Grisham and Dickens. Popular doesn't mean good.

turnipmonster
03-15-2005, 01:00 PM
dude read some hemingway. I recommend "a farewell to arms" and "the sun also rises".

--turnipmonster

shadow29
03-15-2005, 01:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
dude read some hemingway.

[/ QUOTE ]

over. rated.

Faulkner is where it's at.

Shajen
03-15-2005, 01:03 PM
His books are good for plane flights, stuff like that. It'll keep you occupied for a couple hours and you can instantly forget it after you read it.

By the way, WTF are you doing posting on this board Mr "I'm in Monaco"? Get off the net and go enjoy yourself.

Damn.

theBruiser500
03-15-2005, 01:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

-Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't say it was, although to be honest I am suspicious of people who read Grisham.

theBruiser500
03-15-2005, 01:26 PM
Atlas Shrugged I liked a lot, Hemmingway I will have to give a try, Dostoyevsky I really like (particularly The Idiot), and Faulkner I tried reading but after 5 pages the language he used was too complicated for me and I put it down.

Toro
03-15-2005, 02:14 PM
I need easy reads and his books are easy reads. I've read em all, they're entertaining.

istewart
03-15-2005, 02:30 PM
Read Safran Foer's book if you haven't already. His first one, I haven't read his new one.

daryn
03-15-2005, 03:05 PM
hemingway, ugh.

dickens is good though, what's wrong with him paluka /images/graemlins/frown.gif

thatpfunk
03-15-2005, 03:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
over. rated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong. Someone saying Hemingway is overrated does not understand a lot about writing.

Don't be a lit snob just for snobbery's sake.

thatpfunk
03-15-2005, 03:07 PM
As others have said, he is fun beach reading stuff.

In other words, not very good.

SmileyEH
03-15-2005, 04:01 PM
I've read a bunch of Grisham. They're enjoyable, obvious not literature, but when you're relaxing on the couch go gives a [censored]?

-SmileyEH

MLG
03-15-2005, 04:05 PM
dickens ugh. daryn, dickens is what happens when a gifter writer gets paid by the word.

shadow29
03-15-2005, 04:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
over. rated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong. Someone saying Hemingway is overrated does not understand a lot about writing.

Don't be a lit snob just for snobbery's sake.

[/ QUOTE ]

heh. I've read Hemmingway, I can understand that his stuff is good literature, but I don't think that he's the best thing that has ever happened to literature.

It always seemed to me that he kept trying to write well, instead of just writing well.

It's not snobbery for snobbery's sake.

daryn
03-15-2005, 04:47 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
dickens ugh. daryn, dickens is what happens when a gifter writer gets paid by the word.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is what i've heard. i like tale of two cities a lot. that's really all i can speak for as i have read none of his other works. i'm not really interested in reading anything else of his either. i guess i should have just said i'm a fan of tale of two cities.

daryn
03-15-2005, 04:49 PM
by the way MLG wtf are you doing here posting? you should be out banging supermodels on a pile of cash /images/graemlins/grin.gif

thatpfunk
03-15-2005, 05:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It always seemed to me that he kept trying to write well, instead of just writing well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Definetly the case for alot of his later stuff. But The Sun Also Rises (and other early works, plus a few later) contain some of the most simple, yet amazing prose ever written. I find attempting to write simply to be 100x more difficult than the opposite.

jesusarenque
03-15-2005, 05:22 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En respuesta a:</font><hr />
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En respuesta a:</font><hr />
dude read some hemingway.

[/ QUOTE ]

over. rated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps, but The Sun Also Rises is an excellent book. Easily Hemingway's best.

on_thg
03-15-2005, 05:25 PM
Grisham is obnoxiously formulaic. If you've read one of his books, you've already read a good chunk of the rest of them.

I've read all of them except for the current one -- I won't pay for hardcover. Eight bucks for the paperback is plenty stiff.

You won't expand your mind reading Grisham, but so what? It's entertainment.

gvibes
03-15-2005, 05:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Perhaps, but The Sun Also Rises is an excellent book. Easily Hemingway's best.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a moveable feast man, for some reason.

thatpfunk
03-15-2005, 05:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Grisham is obnoxiously formulaic. If you've read one of his books, you've already read a good chunk of the rest of them.

I've read all of them except for the current one -- I won't pay for hardcover. Eight bucks for the paperback is plenty stiff.

You won't expand your mind reading Grisham, but so what? It's entertainment.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're preaching to the choir dude. As I said, fun beach reading.

shadow29
03-15-2005, 05:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The Sun Also Rises

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll give you that one. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Just a fantastic novel.

MLG
03-15-2005, 06:13 PM
I'm at my computer because alas 82k does not magically make my thesis complete. Yet, whenever I sit at my computer and attempt to write it it seems to come out in 1 sentence chunks on 2+2.

MLG
03-15-2005, 06:14 PM
tale of two cities was pretty good, great expectations and david copperfield made my eyes want to bleed.

theBruiser500
03-15-2005, 06:40 PM
Why is Dickens supposed to be one of the best writers ever then, how do you guys reconcile all these attacks on him with that? Also I repeat my question, do any of the really smart, best poker players here read Grisham?

MLG
03-15-2005, 06:51 PM
I did when I was in 8th grade. Then I got bored of him.

ethan
03-15-2005, 07:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds about right. Might have been 7th grade for me.

thatpfunk
03-15-2005, 07:41 PM
Most literary criticism find tons of problems with dickens work bruiser.

He is not as highly revered as you would think. In fact, I would say he is one of the most criticized by modern and postmodern critics.

Also, you seem interested in this stuff, why not take a class or two? There are some very interesting and fun courses at good universities.

shadow29
03-15-2005, 07:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

BadBoyBenny
03-15-2005, 08:15 PM
I read his books when I fly. I think there better than most of the other stuff I see at the airport newstand.

Ulysses
03-15-2005, 08:18 PM
I used to fly 100k+ miles a year from 93 to 2000. I would read a lot of Grisham/Crichton/etc. on the plane cuz I wanted something to pass the time and I preferred reading them to magazines. The writing pretty much sucks, but they are usually simple, fast-paced stories that are easy to read when you're bored and tired and not in the mood to think or maybe only in the mood to read a few pages at a time.

Dead
03-15-2005, 08:19 PM
Grisham's writing doesn't "suck". He's known as a fantastic writer with a brilliant legal mind.

thatpfunk
03-15-2005, 09:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Grisham's writing doesn't "suck". He's known as a fantastic writer with a brilliant legal mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahaha. His writing is very, very bad. Having a great legal mind has nothing to do with it.

Ulysses
03-15-2005, 09:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

who knows that?
not i
maybe you
you're wrong

Dead
03-15-2005, 09:31 PM
I've read all of Grisham's books. It's my opinion. Have you read all of them?

Dr. Strangelove
03-15-2005, 09:34 PM
I read every Grisham book other than the Pelican Brief, and nearly everything by Crichton and Koontz between 3rd and 6th grade. By then I was burnt out and quit reading that kind of stuff for quite a while.

I don't know if it's a function of me getting older, or their writing getting worse, but when I pick up these authors' recent books I've found them to be mostly tripe. I definitely enjoyed their books when I was first exposed to them.

And Ayn Rand is just terrible in so many ways.

Ulysses
03-15-2005, 09:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A Time to Kill
The Firm
The Pelican Brief
The Client
The Chamber
The Rainmaker
The Runaway Jury
The Partner
The Street Lawyer
The Testament
The Brethren
King of Torts

those are the ones
that i have read
and that is enough
to know he sucks

kipin
03-15-2005, 09:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A Time to Kill
The Firm
The Pelican Brief
The Client
The Chamber
The Rainmaker
The Runaway Jury
The Partner
The Street Lawyer
The Testament
The Brethren
King of Torts

those are the ones
that i have read
and that is enough
to know he sucks

[/ QUOTE ]

You have real talent
talent so great
you must now kill yourself
to immortalize your words
into the annals of English History.

Dead
03-15-2005, 09:50 PM
Fine, I guess we'll just agree to disagree. I happen to like reading his book. And so do millions of others.

stabn
03-15-2005, 09:54 PM
They are entertaining, but nothing special. They like your average blockbuster movie. They entertain you for a while but leave you unfulfilled. At least they only take about as long to read as your average movie takes to watch.

thatpfunk
03-15-2005, 09:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I happen to like reading his book. And so do millions of others.

[/ QUOTE ]

This has nothing to do with the quality of writing. You could argue that he constructs good stories, but saying he is a talented writer is simlar to calling Britney Spears or the Backstreet Boys great musicians.

Edited to Add: Bleachers, one of Grisham's attempts at more serious fiction, was just pathetic.

Dead
03-15-2005, 09:58 PM
I never said that it had anything to do with the quality of writing. ElD said that he sucked, and I said that I and millions of other people disagree with him.

Ulysses
03-15-2005, 10:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I never said that it had anything to do with the quality of writing. ElD said that he sucked, and I said that I and millions of other people disagree with him.

[/ QUOTE ]

his writing sucks
that is the point
what else?

thatpfunk
03-15-2005, 10:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Grisham's writing doesn't "suck". He's known as a fantastic writer

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I never said that it had anything to do with the quality of writing.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Dead
03-15-2005, 10:16 PM
That's not the point. You're not the arbiter of who is a good writer and who isn't.

I happen to believe he's a good writer. I happen to enjoy reading his books. So do lots of others.

Realize that people can have differing opinions on who is a good writer and who isn't.

edtost
03-15-2005, 10:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds about right. Might have been 7th grade for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

edtost
03-15-2005, 10:18 PM
realizing the difference between enjoyable books and good writing:

priceless.

Paluka
03-15-2005, 10:36 PM
There are many many popular authors who are good at coming up with stories that entertain people but are terrible writers. A lot of sci-fi and fantasy authors are like this. I often find myself wishing they gave their ideas to someone who could use them better.

Ulysses
03-15-2005, 10:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That's not the point. You're not the arbiter of who is a good writer and who isn't.

I happen to believe he's a good writer. I happen to enjoy reading his books. So do lots of others.

Realize that people can have differing opinions on who is a good writer and who isn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

people can have differing opinions
of course that is cool
but in this case
you are simply wrong
sorry

Duke
03-15-2005, 11:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're wrong. How much you like their books is not correlated with how well someone writes. I enjoyed many books that were poorly written. My enjoyment did not make the writing any better.

Anyone thinking that Grisham is a good writer is not qualified to make that statement in the first place. It's kind of like a flat-earther offering his opinion on the diameter of our planet.

~D

Dead
03-15-2005, 11:11 PM
I consider Grisham to be an excellent writer with a great knowledge of the legal system and a grasp of interpersonal relationships.

Matt Flynn
03-15-2005, 11:53 PM
I will let you know after I finish reading Star Wars: Survivor's Quest by Timothy Zahn.

el diablo. dude.
say for what were hopyards meant
the mome raths outgrabe?

firm masculine coulter, it shall be you!

Matt

theBruiser500
03-16-2005, 04:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, you seem interested in this stuff, why not take a class or two? There are some very interesting and fun courses at good universities.

[/ QUOTE ]

No... I love reading but hate writing essays and analyzing writing.

NLSoldier
03-16-2005, 05:42 AM
Grisham pwns. I have read every one of his books and they are about the only non fiction I have consistently read. I just think they are fun to read and usually involve a main character that pwns lots of n00bs.

For example: in The Rainmaker, the d00d totally pwns the insurance company, its awesome.

theBruiser500
03-16-2005, 06:33 AM
wow "non fiction" wowowowow

Popinjay
03-16-2005, 06:37 AM
what is good?
what is bad?
what is.

NLSoldier
03-16-2005, 07:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO, sorry. Obviously I meant fiction. You are a smart guy, I would think you could figure that out.

Koller
03-16-2005, 07:46 AM
Frederick Forsyth is the man.

theBruiser500
03-16-2005, 09:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO, sorry. Obviously I meant fiction. You are a smart guy, I would think you could figure that out.

[/ QUOTE ]

I figured you were some joker trying to claim that Grisham really was non-fiction because some of it is based off of how law works or something similarly ridiculous.

greg nice
03-16-2005, 10:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
ElD said that he sucked, and I said that I and millions of other people disagree with him.

[/ QUOTE ]

and millions would disagree with "britney spears is a great muscician"