PDA

View Full Version : Now this has probably been asked a million times before so sorry, but.

Hagrid
03-15-2005, 11:37 AM
What should you VPIP% be to win the most money at $5/10 6 max? Also if you are 2/3 tabling with is the best BB/100 you can realistically expect to aim for?

Thanks for anyone that replys, know this will have been discussed to death but I have done a search and cant find these specific answers.

rory
03-15-2005, 11:39 AM
There aren't any. Some guys on here play 40% of their hands and claim to be crushing the games. Other guys play 20% and say the same thing.

Rudis
03-15-2005, 11:52 AM
I'll sternly say 25-30 and a high pfr to go with that. This seems to be what people hate playing against, and thats good enough for me=).

tolbiny
03-15-2005, 12:08 PM
Like Rory said it depends on the player. I was talking to a 2+2er the other day who says he has been beating the 5/10 for just over 2 bb/100 over 40,000 hands and had been playing around 19% vpip and 13.5% pfr. Most regular poster here are playing sig more hands with a higher pfr than that, and some are claiming a much higher win rate as well. What you need to do if you are just getting in is probably to start out at the 20/14 range and as you get used to SH play start adding hands and playing more marginal situations. Take your time to learn what works best for you.

stigmata
03-15-2005, 12:24 PM
I did my first 20k hands at 5/10 6max at vpip 25 / pfr 15, and achieved 2BB/100.

I think these are reasonable targets if you are new to these games.

Grisgra
03-15-2005, 12:35 PM
Uh oh . . . you're asking for it /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Prepare for at least two or three smart-ass responses like "If you play VP$IP of 26.38149% you can expect to make 2.56BB/100 3-tabling, no more, no less" . . .

The general consensus seems to be that your VP$IP should be around 25% -- maybe a little lower when you're starting out, a little higher once you get the swing of things, esp. on passive tables -- and if you can make 2BB/100 2-3 tabling you're doing quite well, 3BB/100, *exceptionally* well.

Hagrid
03-15-2005, 12:39 PM
I have actually been playing short handed for a while and winning but I have only recently got poker tracker. After having a bankroll crisis, 4 tabling 3/6 and then getting enough bankroll to go back to 5/10.

I only have a sample size of 4000 hands but I was surprised to see that my VPIP was 34%, thats with an 9bb/100 and pfr 16%.

I know I have obviously been lucky but preflop feels pretty standard for me, maybe I am playing too many cards and have been really lucky though????

Any way what about BB/100, can you expect more than the usuall 2bb/100 when you are shorthanded?

Victor
03-15-2005, 12:51 PM
heres an eld/ulysses post

[ QUOTE ]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4. Playing more hands than I used to.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's a simple 10/20-6 plan for everyone. Listen up.

Play really tight and aggressive. Play especially tight in the blinds. Do that 'til you have a solid 2BB/100 for some reasonable amount of hands (10k, 20k, whatever). Then play a little more aggressively 'til you get to 2.5BB/100.

Add a few more hands in late position. Defend your blinds a little more aggressively. Do this 'til you're at 3BB/100.

Loosen up a little bit across the board. Be pretty liberal when defending your blinds, especially the big blind. This should get you to 3.5BB/100.

Add a few more hands. Start stealing even more. Play a little more aggressively on later streets. Keep at it 'til you're at 4BB+/100.

Come back and tell us what's next.

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW I am the 2er that tolbiny is talking about. I have since loosened up to about 26% vpip and 16%pfr over my last 10,000 hands. I dont think I have had a losing session either.

Basically, my advice is to play as many hands as you are comfortable with. As you get better and more experienced more hands will become profitable for you.

Jeff W
03-15-2005, 01:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Any way what about BB/100, can you expect more than the usuall 2bb/100 when you are shorthanded?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is dependent on your skill level and the number of tables you play. Anyway, you're starting off on the wrong foot. Don't worry about BB/100. You won't know what your winrate is for a long time.

For more information on VPIP and other pokertracker metrics, do a search for posts with "stats" in subject only from the last year. The search function is an indispensable tool.

Grisgra
03-15-2005, 01:41 PM
Also -- and this should go without saying -- if you're new to 5/10 SH, don't play more than two tables at once. It wouldn't kill you to just keep it to one table the first 5k or 10k hands. You can make your huge wads of cash later, time to learn the game first /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

dave44
03-15-2005, 03:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have since loosened up to about 26% vpip and 16%pfr over my last 10,000 hands. I dont think I have had a losing session either.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you saying you've gone 10,000 hands without a losing session?

If you have a link to the whole ulysses post, I'd love to take a look at the whole thing. Thanks

Victor
03-15-2005, 03:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Are you saying you've gone 10,000 hands without a losing session?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes. but understand that is like 8 sessions for me. i am running good in the short term right now so it doesnt mean too much.

[ QUOTE ]
If you have a link to the whole ulysses post, I'd love to take a look at the whole thing. Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

best 6max posts (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=headsup&Number=1215269&fpa rt=1&PHPSESSID=)

you might as well read all of these. the post i quoted is linked by nemesis near the end of the first page.