PDA

View Full Version : Thank You (Low Content)

jnalpak
03-15-2005, 10:10 AM
Its been only a few months since my rant regarding "bad beats" on the party .50/1 tables and i now look back at it and laugh. I really thought i knew poker then, after reading TOP and SSH i can honestly say i am very happy with my small stakes poker playing (AND I STILL HAVE TO REREAD IT AGAIN AND AGAIN).

This has also resonated to the B&M tables, going from the .50/1 to the 4/8 table games was easier then ever...It's funny, i have had worse beats at B&M tables then i do on Party now. To that i thank 2+2 with getting me away from crappy play and analyzing leaks i never knew existed on posts I had a common issue with.

Now to my question:
-Is it just me or is the 1/2 HE game on PartySkins extrememly soft?
I was multitabling this weekend (2) 1/2 & (1) .50/1 and i came out a winner,35bb, on each 1/2 table and -15 on the .50/1. Since i started 1/2 i havent had a SERIOUS losing period yet. Its almost like the water is calm right b/f a storm, everything seems to be going right and i know disaster is right around the corner....

Is the theory that people who want to play poker for the first time look at .50/1 and mentally think they are better then that and will only start at 1/2-3/6?
Last night i had near 3 fish (according to PTGuide) at each table on 1/2......

One last thing, with all this concentration on LLHE i feel my tourney play has gone to sh*t (i'm 1/10 in 10+1 sng's and busting way to early in MTT's)...I feel i am way to tight and the big betting pattern throws me off. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good tourney book regarding SnG and MTT?

MrWookie47
03-15-2005, 10:29 AM
2+2's Tournament Poker For Advanced Players is a good place to start.

vulturesrow
03-15-2005, 10:34 AM
For tourneys Harrington on Hold'em is the nuts.

bigmac366
03-15-2005, 10:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
-Is it just me or is the 1/2 HE game on PartySkins extrememly soft?

[/ QUOTE ]

its funny you mention that. the last week the play on the 1/2 tables has been atrocious. like .50/1 but at double the stakes. normally it isnt like this at 1/2. i'll have to email party and thank them for the TV commercials attracting horrible fish.

Isura
03-15-2005, 10:37 AM
Your success at 1/2 is most definitely a combination of good cards and running into a few more fish than is usual. .5/1 is definitely an easier game, although 1/2 is only slightly tougher. I think your mind might be playing a trick on you thinking that 1/2 is softer because bad beats are more likely at .5/1 since the players are looser.

Regarding tourney books, you should buy Harrington on Hold'em. Part 1 is only about early round play, but has many examples from SNG's as well, so it's relevant to both MTT's and SNG's. I still haven't gotten around to ordering TPFAP but I've heard good reviews for it.

jnalpak
03-15-2005, 11:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think your mind might be playing a trick on you thinking that 1/2 is softer because bad beats are more likely at .5/1 since the players are looser.

[/ QUOTE ]

So wouldn't that make 1/2 a much softer game if your playing TAG? I'm not talking about JUST playing AA-JJ or the nuts and doing well, my rant was more about being able to now outplay opp. on 1/2 rather then calling stations to the river at party.

Good cards will always win hands but this hasnt been 4 days of play, this has been well over 3k hands....

Rockfish
03-15-2005, 01:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think your mind might be playing a trick on you thinking that 1/2 is softer because bad beats are more likely at .5/1 since the players are looser.

[/ QUOTE ]

So wouldn't that make 1/2 a much softer game if your playing TAG? I'm not talking about JUST playing AA-JJ or the nuts and doing well, my rant was more about being able to now outplay opp. on 1/2 rather then calling stations to the river at party.

Good cards will always win hands but this hasnt been 4 days of play, this has been well over 3k hands....

[/ QUOTE ]

I too have found 1/2 to be rather soft over the last few days. It's usually a bit tighter and a bit tougher but overall the play is not excellent.

Oh yeah, if you're four-tabling, 3K hands is four days of play, if you also have a real job. That's a very small sample size, so take that into consideration before you get overconfident. It will bite you in the ass if you do. It always does me.

Having said that, "outplaying your opponent" is a phrase that used to mystify me. I now understand that it means playing better after the flop and all it is is betting for value when you are ahead and not getting trapped when you are behind. Sounds easy, no?