PDA

View Full Version : Vacations from poker?

SNOWBALL138
03-15-2005, 09:42 AM
I've been winning for about 3 months online, but just this week I started to play really really poorly. I have had a lot of tilt sobriety lately, so I don't think its due to my own natural emotional dispositions.

Lately I've been thinking that I need to just take a break for ten days or so. Has this happened to anyone else?

TStoneMBD
03-15-2005, 10:21 AM
happens to me every week.

olavfo
03-15-2005, 12:35 PM
Keep playing. I'm experiencing something similar: After running very good for 10k hands I've just entered a fairly long break even period (50 hours and counting).

The reason I don't make money is not that I play differently, it's because I don't make my flush or straight draws, my small PP's fail to flop sets, and when I get top pair + good kicker I run into a set or two pair.

It's only variance and instead of taking a break I grit my teeth and keep playing. The more I play the better my chances of getting back in profit. I'm just glad I'm breaking even and not losing during this streak. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

olavfo

Harv72b
03-15-2005, 02:18 PM
Even the top players in the world take vacations from poker.

If you aren't playing at your best, don't play for a while. Come back when you feel the game tugging at you, and you can get back to the playing style that made you money.

jason_t
03-15-2005, 03:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've been winning for about 3 months online, but just this week I started to play really really poorly. I have had a lot of tilt sobriety lately, so I don't think its due to my own natural emotional dispositions.

Lately I've been thinking that I need to just take a break for ten days or so. Has this happened to anyone else?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am taking a vacation from playing right now. It's a good thing to do from time to time. After a little while, you'll get the fire back to play again and your game will be good. Just read a little and think a little to keep your game fresh.

Wally Weeks
03-15-2005, 04:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Doyle Brunson mentioned taking vacations from poker in the first chapter of Super/System. To some it may be obvious, but to others it might not...after all, you are playing poker and not really "working." /images/graemlins/smile.gif

You can overdo anything and head toward burnout; it's nice to get out and do something different from the norm. That's what vacations are all about.

Regards,
Wally