PDA

View Full Version : Optimum HU Play

Degen
03-15-2005, 09:25 AM
Hello all,

Interested to see what theories people have for the best way to play middle limit (22-55) SNG's when it's down to two players.

At this level the blinds are typically somewhere between 100-200 and 300-600.

I usually continue the crazy style that got me this far, making sure to keep control of the game by constantly forcing my opponent to make a decision for all his chips.

Over 500 logged tourneys my 1st rate is about 15, while 2nd and 3rd are nearly identical at 12.5. I know these are good, but I think it is possible to do better and I think that a large part has to do with making this look more like 17.5/10/12.5.

Any thoughts? Possiby the HU portion is more 'feel' and playing your opponent than I typically put into the bubble and earlier stages.

Degen

jg22
03-15-2005, 10:28 AM
Id like to hear some thoughts on this as well. I have exactly the same number of 1sts and 2nds and feel like there has to be a way to improve this as I consider myself an above average player at the $20s, which I play.

EnderFFX
03-15-2005, 11:19 AM
In my opinion your heads up play is affected mostly by what happens with 4-5 people left in the tournament. If you play just to make the money you leave yourself with little chance to win 1st. If you play agressive, you'll end up with more 4ths and 5th but you'll increase your 1st/2nd percentage as well.

I just play agressive, and look for patterns in the way my opponent is betting. Often times pushing on a simple call/min raise when my opponent is in the SB gives me a chip advantage and a psyche advantage,

Degen
03-15-2005, 11:24 AM
bubble play is important, though i'd really like to hear strategies that work well HU for people...i'll refind the parameters of the post...

assuming roughly equal chip stacks when play begins...

Degen

Degen
03-15-2005, 11:26 AM
i suppose when you break it down it is really just that simple...if your opponent min raises move in with pretty much any hand...move all-in from the SB often...get aces

any other ideas?

Degen

therock
03-15-2005, 11:41 AM
HU, I have not had a lot of success pushing when my opponet min raises from the SB. Don't get me wrong, if I have a good HU hand (AT, KQ, 88) I will push and take my chances. But pushing a min raise with Q,7 or 89suited just doesn't work much for me.

EnderFFX
03-15-2005, 12:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
HU, I have not had a lot of success pushing when my opponet min raises from the SB. Don't get me wrong, if I have a good HU hand (AT, KQ, 88) I will push and take my chances. But pushing a min raise with Q,7 or 89suited just doesn't work much for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Against an agressive opponent I'd rather push here, rather than call and wait for him to push on the flop. Q7o, 89s, to me are reasonable pushing hands when an agressive opponent raises. I gain a lot when he folds and when he calls, odds are, I have two live cards. I hate pushing with hands like A2 and K2, just because of the domination factor.

I have reasonable success, I keep my ROI around 10% for the 10-20 sng level. I'm by no means an expert and would love to hear what other players think.

shejk
03-15-2005, 12:51 PM
Well, there's a huge difference if the blinds are 100-200 or 250-500. In the second scenario I push almost every hand. With small blinds, I like to tighten up considerably. With these small blinds it's imo easier to steal by coming over the top as well.

Besides, it's very opponent dependent.

Degen
03-15-2005, 03:37 PM
i also like calling a min-raise and moving-in in front of them on the flop REGARDLESS of what comes...if they hit, bummer...but if they do not then its easy money.

Degen

raptor517
03-15-2005, 05:14 PM
it would be very difficult to get around 17.5/10/12.5 breakdown. VERY difficult. the best advice is just be super agressive. you are not going to be able to gain a significant edge in a HU game with the blinds so high. its just not possible. i would be very content with your stats right now, they look very solid. holla